1900 FCLK on 3950x - How I did it - - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

1900 FCLK on 3950x - How I did it -

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
finas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
1900 FCLK on 3950x - How I did it -

Hi guys,

just want to share how I was able to get my FCLK to 1900 mhz 100% stable on a Crosshair VIII impact ( with G.SKILL 4000 mhz CL19 32GB ( 2x16 )

My system is 100% stable at 1866 FCLK and 7333 memory, but it would not boot at 1900.

So, at 1900 FCLK the board would not even post. With everything on auto except for memory at 3800 and FCLK at 1900. The one thing that made it post was to disable SB spread spectrum. That single setting that was on auto, was the only thing I needed for the board to POST. The system was almost stable. I never had a crash when running stress tests or gaming and the only thing that didn't work properly was that my oculus rift would lose tracking from time to time ( tracker is connected via USB 3.0 ). I confirmed this to be from the FCLK by going down to 1866 and the problem going away.

So, to fix the USB thing I simply changed the VDDSOC load line calibration from auto to 5 ( the maximum ). The USB problem went away.

I
After deliding the CPU and using bare core on block ( I am using a heavily modified enermax liqtech II 240 ) I wasn't able to go further than 1900 FCLK. Temps are 18 degrees lower after deliding and using the bare core on the block.

For testing stability I ran 12h memtest86 plus 12h of prime95 ( latest version, with the default setting for testing memory ) and again 12h of prime95 with the max heat output setting. After that, one week of regular usage ( gaming/ browsing ).

What are you guys doing to get this going even higher? I had this wet dream of getting it to 2000 mhz but I'm not seeing how. I tried to change most settings but the asus bios ( 1209, latest ) is so buggy that it is a pain in the ass to try to do something meaningful with it.

Ncase M1 | [email protected] [email protected] TridentX | Asus C8I | 2x2TB nvme RAID0 | RTX 2080TI Blower | Sanded LQII240 with bare core on water block
finas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 07:08 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
gerardfraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 806
Rep: 94 (Unique: 73)
1900 on FCLK is great on 3950X.
gerardfraser is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
VPII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 855
Rep: 15 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by finas View Post
Hi guys,

just want to share how I was able to get my FCLK to 1900 mhz 100% stable on a Crosshair VIII impact ( with G.SKILL 4000 mhz CL19 32GB ( 2x16 )

My system is 100% stable at 1866 FCLK and 7333 memory, but it would not boot at 1900.

So, at 1900 FCLK the board would not even post. With everything on auto except for memory at 3800 and FCLK at 1900. The one thing that made it post was to disable SB spread spectrum. That single setting that was on auto, was the only thing I needed for the board to POST. The system was almost stable. I never had a crash when running stress tests or gaming and the only thing that didn't work properly was that my oculus rift would lose tracking from time to time ( tracker is connected via USB 3.0 ). I confirmed this to be from the FCLK by going down to 1866 and the problem going away.

So, to fix the USB thing I simply changed the VDDSOC load line calibration from auto to 5 ( the maximum ). The USB problem went away.

I
After deliding the CPU and using bare core on block ( I am using a heavily modified enermax liqtech II 240 ) I wasn't able to go further than 1900 FCLK. Temps are 18 degrees lower after deliding and using the bare core on the block.

For testing stability I ran 12h memtest86 plus 12h of prime95 ( latest version, with the default setting for testing memory ) and again 12h of prime95 with the max heat output setting. After that, one week of regular usage ( gaming/ browsing ).

What are you guys doing to get this going even higher? I had this wet dream of getting it to 2000 mhz but I'm not seeing how. I tried to change most settings but the asus bios ( 1209, latest ) is so buggy that it is a pain in the ass to try to do something meaningful with it.
I'll try your finding. With me previous 3900X and 3950X I had no problem running 1900 FCLK, but with the new 3950X I just cannot get it to post, so I'll give your finding a go to see if it works.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
MSI Meg X570 Ace Bios V170
4 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ DDR4 3600 CL15
Palit Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
VPII is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:28 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
newls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,449
Rep: 30 (Unique: 25)
what exactly is a "heavily modified liqtech II"? At the end of the day, its still just a AIO, why not build a real loop?

**Intel System** Asus Z390E Strix / 8700k @ 4.85Ghz / 32GB BDie @ 3200 CL14 / PowerColor 5700XT / eVGA 850w PSU / Sammy 960 EVO m.2 / MX500 250gb games SSD / 49" Samsung UltraWide 144Hz
**AMD System** Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero / 3950X @ 4.580GHz (CCD0) 4.380GHz (CCD1) 1.350v/ 64GB DJR Mem @ 3740MHz CL16 / 2080 Ti / eVGA 1200 Plat PSU / Sabrent 1Tb PCIe4.0 m.2 / MX500 500gb games SSD / 34" LG UltraWide 144Hz
(Dual watercooling loops for CPU and GPU, all highend)


newls1 is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
finas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Basically, I bought a LiqTech II 240, machined the CPU block to be able to clear the socket when using the bare cores on the block, and replaced the radiator for an all copper 240mm/45mm radiator from alphacool. I also replaced the fans with two noctua industrial ppc 2000.

The reason is that my case is a ITX Ncase M1 and the space is quite tight, so I needed a cpu block with some very specific characteristics to be able fit a 45 tall radiator, namelly, the cpu block height must be small, must have an integrated water pump and the hoses must come from the side instead of from the top of the block. The one from LiqTech II has all this plus a 450l/h rating ( that I found out is false, the true rating is 60l/h )

I made some videos of everything, including the deliding, but I am struggling to get time to actually edit all the stuff and put it on youtube. Anyway, the deliding and bare core on block did bring my cpu 18 degrees celcius down but I'm still unsure if it is worth the effort, or even the risk.

Ncase M1 | [email protected] [email protected] TridentX | Asus C8I | 2x2TB nvme RAID0 | RTX 2080TI Blower | Sanded LQII240 with bare core on water block
finas is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 09:49 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
elmntfrlif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I disable SB Spread spectrum by default anymore (it gives a true 100mhz FSB) and have had no problems running my 3950x at 1900FCLK with the SoC set to 1.1 in bios (1.08 actual)

I have developed an annoying click in my USB DAC and I'm curious if the VDDSOC load line will fix it, as it has resolved your USB related issues.

Very curious about the deliding and your setup!

AMD Rig
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII
GPU
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti FE
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3600 B-Die
Cooling
EK Velocity CPU and GPU
Case
Lian Li PC-011
▲ hide details ▲
elmntfrlif is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
finas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by elmntfrlif View Post
I disable SB Spread spectrum by default anymore (it gives a true 100mhz FSB) and have had no problems running my 3950x at 1900FCLK with the SoC set to 1.1 in bios (1.08 actual)

I have developed an annoying click in my USB DAC and I'm curious if the VDDSOC load line will fix it, as it has resolved your USB related issues.

Very curious about the deliding and your setup!

I think the load line @5 only fixed it because it upped the VDDSOC a bit from what it was @auto . I think at auto it displays 1.084v in bios and at 5 it displays 1.096v. But essencially, those where the only things I had to change from a completly default setting in bios to get to 1900 fclk. After that I messed with the memory timings and PBO and tightening the memory didn't take the stability away. I actually tested getting the VDDSOC again at auto with the current tight memory timmings I am running and the problem came back. Same with the SB spectrum. I turn it on and it doesn't POST.

I will try to find time this weekend to post the videos, or at least the tastiest one from the delid. It took me almost an hour to get the heat spreader off, and there were times where I really thought that I had killed the thing. You can't imagine the relief when tried it and it booted!! pheeww..

Ncase M1 | [email protected] [email protected] TridentX | Asus C8I | 2x2TB nvme RAID0 | RTX 2080TI Blower | Sanded LQII240 with bare core on water block
finas is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:30 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
newls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,449
Rep: 30 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by finas View Post
Basically, I bought a LiqTech II 240, machined the CPU block to be able to clear the socket when using the bare cores on the block, and replaced the radiator for an all copper 240mm/45mm radiator from alphacool. I also replaced the fans with two noctua industrial ppc 2000.

The reason is that my case is a ITX Ncase M1 and the space is quite tight, so I needed a cpu block with some very specific characteristics to be able fit a 45 tall radiator, namelly, the cpu block height must be small, must have an integrated water pump and the hoses must come from the side instead of from the top of the block. The one from LiqTech II has all this plus a 450l/h rating ( that I found out is false, the true rating is 60l/h )

I made some videos of everything, including the deliding, but I am struggling to get time to actually edit all the stuff and put it on youtube. Anyway, the deliding and bare core on block did bring my cpu 18 degrees celcius down but I'm still unsure if it is worth the effort, or even the risk.
good stuff man, honor your ability to delid that cpu!

**Intel System** Asus Z390E Strix / 8700k @ 4.85Ghz / 32GB BDie @ 3200 CL14 / PowerColor 5700XT / eVGA 850w PSU / Sammy 960 EVO m.2 / MX500 250gb games SSD / 49" Samsung UltraWide 144Hz
**AMD System** Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero / 3950X @ 4.580GHz (CCD0) 4.380GHz (CCD1) 1.350v/ 64GB DJR Mem @ 3740MHz CL16 / 2080 Ti / eVGA 1200 Plat PSU / Sabrent 1Tb PCIe4.0 m.2 / MX500 500gb games SSD / 34" LG UltraWide 144Hz
(Dual watercooling loops for CPU and GPU, all highend)


newls1 is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
finas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I posted the delid video, will try to publish some others about the temps ( before and after ) and also the build process and the Liqtech modding this weekend/ next week.

The last AMD CPU I owned was a phenom II ( also delided ). Since the FX fiasco that I ditched AMD for Intel until now. But things have clearly changed regarding overclocking with AMD and I am struggling the accept some things, like having to choose between an overclock that allows me more freedom ( manual ) but denies me power savings and power savings without any real overclock ( PBO ). Also, I think that with this AGESA thing, AMD is essentially doing that Nvidia has been doing for the past couple of generations. Artificially limit the GPU potential by implementing hardware and software limits ( imposing temp, voltage and power envelopes ).


Last edited by finas; 01-23-2020 at 04:52 PM.
finas is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:05 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
elmntfrlif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
That is awesome! Props for having the will power to go through with that! What compound did you use to polish the silicon dies?

AMD Rig
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII
GPU
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti FE
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3600 B-Die
Cooling
EK Velocity CPU and GPU
Case
Lian Li PC-011
▲ hide details ▲
elmntfrlif is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
MNKyDeth
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off