Looking for starting point - Ryzen 3600 overclocking in 2020 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Looking for starting point - Ryzen 3600 overclocking in 2020

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:29 AM
Iconoclast
 
Blameless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 30,139
Rep: 3139 (Unique: 1872)
I'm using a 3900X, but the principles remain the same.

I started with a manual all-core OC, a manual per-CCX OC, and then PBO, in that order. Given that I'm thermally limited and that my manual OCs cannot get anywhere near PBO's peak boost clocks, my unconditionally stable manual OCs are only faster in very stressful all-core loads. I can do about 100MHz higher in Prime95 manually (or 125MHz on three of my four CCXes and 75MHz more on my weaker CCX) than I can get all-core PBO to boost to safely, but in pretty much every other scenario, PBO with either some manual tuning or ASUS' OC PBO presets are faster.

If I had better cooling, I'd stick with the manual OC because my all core OC would come very close to PBO's max low-thread boost clocks, but being thermally limited to about 170w peak means PBO is the better overall option.

Anyway, in your scenario, I'd reevaluate your PBO settings and see if you can improve it's boost clocks, if you can't an all-core manual OC is probably better..as long as temperatures and voltage are in check. gupsterg has already gone over the basics of dialing manual PBO settings and linked to Stilt's post on how to find the peak safe(ish) load voltage for your part, so no need for me to rehash that.

On a side note, any little bit of power or thermal budget you can save will improve how PBO functions. Once you get the basics dialed in, go back and set manual stock voltages for everything possible, except vcore and see if that's stable (and not losing performance to clock streching), then start undervolting things like the SoC and perhaps PLL. I get best performance results on my part with 1.05v SoC and 1.75v CPU PLL. Using the lowest LLC level (or turning LLC off) and then reducing VRM switching frequency to improve VRM efficiency can also help (you don't need to augment transient response when using stock load lines).

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blameless; 01-30-2020 at 01:44 AM.
Blameless is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
pyromaniac1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 57
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
I'm using a 3900X, but the principles remain the same.

I started with a manual all-core OC, a manual per-CCX OC, and then PBO, in that order. Given that I'm thermally limited and that my manual OCs cannot get anywhere near PBO's peak boost clocks, my unconditionally stable manual OCs are only faster in very stressful all-core loads. I can do about 100MHz higher in Prime95 manually (or 125MHz on three of my four CCXes and 75MHz more on my weaker CCX) than I can get all-core PBO to boost to safely, but in pretty much every other scenario, PBO with either some manual tuning or ASUS' OC PBO presets are faster.

If I had better cooling, I'd stick with the manual OC because my all core OC would come very close to PBO's max low-thread boost clocks, but being thermally limited to about 170w peak means PBO is the better overall option.

Anyway, in your scenario, I'd reevaluate your PBO settings and see if you can improve it's boost clocks, if you can't an all-core manual OC is probably better..as long as temperatures and voltage are in check. gupsterg has already gone over the basics of dialing manual PBO settings and linked to Stilt's post on how to find the peak safe(ish) load voltage for your part, so no need for me to rehash that.

On a side note, any little bit of power or thermal budget you can save will improve how PBO functions. Once you get the basics dialed in, go back and set manual stock voltages for everything possible, except vcore and see if that's stable (and not losing performance to clock streching), then start undervolting things like the SoC and perhaps PLL. I get best performance results on my part with 1.05v SoC and 1.75v CPU PLL. Using the lowest LLC level (or turning LLC off) and then reducing VRM switching frequency to improve VRM efficiency can also help (you don't need to augment transient response when using stock load lines).
Thank you. I'll try these. Although I have no idea what PLL and transient response are. But in theory though, can a 3600 even do PBO + auto-OC beyond 4.2? Because i'm pretty sure all 3600 can easily do all-core 4.2, so i don't see any use case of PBO here. if it was the 3600x that's a different case.

Because in gaming, with 4.2 @ 1.325v set in bios, my temperatures never shoot beyond 60, but with PBO + Auto OC even with a -0.05 offset my temperatures spike beyond 70c.
pyromaniac1 is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Schmuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 14,610
Rep: 705 (Unique: 564)
I noticed more frequency can be had with a manual overclock.

I only set the core offset,

vccio, (cpu/mem) and RAM voltages.

I tweak the phase speeds slightly faster and LLC in the middle. It droops a LOT (.03-ish), but I noticed LLC adds a lotta heat.

I choose droop over heat.

Some megglehertz can be gained by turning off HT, also doing so makes single thread scores better.

This is what I settled on for daily:

https://valid.x86.fr/i36f6r

Last edited by Schmuckley; 02-01-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Schmuckley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Iconoclast
 
Blameless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 30,139
Rep: 3139 (Unique: 1872)
Quote: Originally Posted by pyromaniac1 View Post
But in theory though, can a 3600 even do PBO + auto-OC beyond 4.2? Because i'm pretty sure all 3600 can easily do all-core 4.2, so i don't see any use case of PBO here. if it was the 3600x that's a different case.
Yeah, I was thinking of the 3600X. My mistake.

Quote: Originally Posted by pyromaniac1 View Post
Because in gaming, with 4.2 @ 1.325v set in bios, my temperatures never shoot beyond 60, but with PBO + Auto OC even with a -0.05 offset my temperatures spike beyond 70c.
PBO will ramp voltage up to 1.5v during light loads and has a default temperature limit of ~90C, so if you're able to reach all-core 4.2GHz with less, it's not surprising that it's running cooler.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Blameless is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
pyromaniac1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 57
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post
I noticed more frequency can be had with a manual overclock.

This is what I settled on for daily:

https://valid.x86.fr/i36f6r
So you're running 3000mhz @ cl12?

what's your IF at?

And is this configuration getting you faster results than setting a high IF clock + high mem clock?
pyromaniac1 is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 07:49 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Schmuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 14,610
Rep: 705 (Unique: 564)
Quote: Originally Posted by pyromaniac1 View Post
So you're running 3000mhz @ cl12?

what's your IF at?

And is this configuration getting you faster results than setting a high IF clock + high mem clock?
1400-ish and idk. How to tell? Run Hyper- Pi?

Oh, is @ 2800MHz right now. That's the profile, can bump up to 3000.
Schmuckley is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 05:29 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
My OC for my 3600
MB : X570 Aorus Elite (F12b)
RAM : Corsair 3600CL18 (XMP profile)
Power Plan : Usmus Universal
LLC : Ultra Extreme
Per CCX : [email protected] & [email protected]
Vcoce : 1.2886v (1.2875 in RM)

I could make a full 4.2 ALL CORE but my core0 is weak and i need at least 1.32v to have 4.2 on it so I prefer stay at 1.2875v (Maybe I'll make a RMA to have a better silicon lottery)

It's rock stable in any circumstance

People with recent 3600 (better binning) could make a all core 4.2 with a lower voltage....
Mastakony is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 12:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 64
Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post
I noticed more frequency can be had with a manual overclock.

I only set the core offset,

vccio, (cpu/mem) and RAM voltages.

I tweak the phase speeds slightly faster and LLC in the middle. It droops a LOT (.03-ish), but I noticed LLC adds a lotta heat.

I choose droop over heat.

Some megglehertz can be gained by turning off HT, also doing so makes single thread scores better.

This is what I settled on for daily:

https://valid.x86.fr/i36f6r



Are you using the FIT voltage method to figure out your max safe OC voltage? Did you have smt disabled when you did the FIT test? It would probably recommend higher voltage with smt disabled increasing your overclock.
2600ryzen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off