fix 2700x low idle voltage crashing - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

fix 2700x low idle voltage crashing

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 137 (Unique: 116)
fix 2700x low idle voltage crashing

I have an issue that I dont see mentioned really that much at all. basically, i cant get my machine to have enough voltage at idle to remain stable 24/7...the idle voltage drops to sub .7-.75 w/offset which causes stability issues long term. This is a problem because this machine sidelines as a plex server so it its to be available 24/7.

If I disable XFR/PBO, XMP, basically anything i can to neuter the machine and not have crazy spikes in either direction, then the idle voltage will stay in the .8-.9 range and the system is stable. I dont want to do this as i would like max performance as i also game on this machine, encode, render, etc.

What i have seen with testing and playing with the offset is i basically i have to move it all the way up to like -.02-.03 to keep it as close to .77-.79 that i can get and this gives me "ok" idle stability, sometimes. BUT the problem becomes the single core boosting spikes stupid high, like 1.51 and the all core goes up to the 1.36-1.37 range. If i increase the offset to -.1 then the single core spikes are max like 1.44 and the all core is 1.32, and along with this my frequencies in single core and all core are a little higher....ive seen all core in the high 4.1, close to 4.2 sustained, when i use this offset....BUT, obviously, idle is .69-.7 and the system crashes if i leave it alone for a couple hours.

What, i would love to be able to do is set a hard minimum voltage, I dont know if this is possible in pstates or what....but set a minimum at like .85, .9 or something and then use the .-1 offset and leave the rest on auto as i am perfectly happy with how the system functions when in use, with that offset and voltage...its just that idle.

Thanks for any help guys.

Note, I'm on the most recent BIOS for my board that doesn't start adding zen2 stuff as there were reports of zen2 bioses messing up things for zen/zen+. If anyone has a counter to this for my board, I'm open to hear it. I believe I'm on version 2.0

Currently Playing: RDR2, FM7, BL3, Escape from Tarkov
Nostromo
(11 items)
CPU
2700x
Motherboard
Asrock x470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
2070 Super "FE"
RAM
g.skill flare 16gb @3200 cl14
Hard Drive
sammy 970 pro nvme 500gb
Hard Drive
sammy 860 evo 1tb
Optical Drive
LG bluray
Power Supply
EVGA supernova 750 G1+
Cooling
NZXT x62 kraken
Case
thermaltake core x71 temp glass
Operating System
win 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 06:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Raise the min frequency in your windows power plan to 50%? Or whatever it takes to raise the min freq to the [email protected] p1 state.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 06:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 492 (Unique: 276)
If it's a real problem , turn off the power savings stuff in bios , without a load there isn't much difference in power usage etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 07:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 483 (Unique: 328)
I have a 2700X and X470 Taichi. I use -100mV offset and that seems to work stable for my CPU here.

Do you know about the "Power Supply Idle Control" setting in the "Advanced" -> "AMD CBS" part of the BIOS menus? The Vcore can drop to 0.3V if that setting is set to "low current idle", and using "typical current idle" makes the CPU use 0.8V at idle. I don't know what the default "Auto" option means. Maybe Auto = "low current idle" and that's your problem? Perhaps try to set that "power supply idle control" setting manually to "typical current idle" and see if that does something.

Something else to try, if you install the AMD chipset driver package, that adds an additional power profile named something like "AMD balanced" to the Windows control panel. That new AMD power profile keeps the CPU at 3000+MHz at idle if you check in HWINFO. It somehow disables the 2000MHz speed state that the CPU has. That might get you an additional 100mV onto the Vcore.

About 2000MHz and 3000MHz speed states of the 2700X, I'm currently in Linux and I can see that the following is programmed into the CPU using a program named "zenstates":

Code:
$ sudo zenstates -l
P0 - Enabled - FID = 94 - DID = 8 - VID = 36 - Ratio = 37.00 - vCore = 1.21250
P1 - Enabled - FID = 80 - DID = 8 - VID = 59 - Ratio = 32.00 - vCore = 0.99375
P2 - Enabled - FID = 84 - DID = C - VID = 76 - Ratio = 22.00 - vCore = 0.81250
You can see the Vcore mentioned at the end of the lines. Here in Linux, I've manually disabled the 2200MHz speed state to try to copy what AMD does in their Windows power profile. That causes Vcore to never drop below 0.8V according to the board's sensors and with my -100mV offset. If I do keep the 2200MHz speed step enabled, then I do see Vcore around 0.7V. So at least in Linux this "make 3000MHz the lowest speed" idea does seem to work to get around 100mV extra onto Vcore at idle.

Last edited by deepor; 01-31-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in