3900x and ASRock X570 TAICHI - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

3900x and ASRock X570 TAICHI

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
3900x and ASRock X570 TAICHI

I have never overclocked a amd cpu. Every time I manual overclock this chip it last for one boot. when I reboot the computer the second time it reset itself to factory setting. what is the setting in the bios I have to change. 4400 is the highest I ever got. play all day at that speed. when I reboot the next day then its resets itself.my cpu voltage is set at 1.350 and I got trident 3600 ram. Xmp setting is ok until next boot'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
There are some points to highlight in what you said above. If you never overclocked a amd cpu, so don't do w/ a 3000 series. Or at least look after ccx oc instead of all core oc. One of the reasons you lose the settings might be your oc is not totally stable, or the simple fact your not-so-good ccx just won't do 4.4ghz which is normal, I haven't seen any 3900x doing more than 4375mhz in the weaker ccx. Also consider dropping this vcore, 1.35v for zen2 is seen around as too much voltage whereas 1.325v is "the max safe limit".

Drop this vcore, and do your tests. Multi core and single core and game benchmarks, all stock, take notes. Then overclock it, either all cores or ccx, and compare the results. In my case also with a 3900x I get better results leaving on auto, just tweaking LLC with some negative offset and that's it.

All core oc yield me better multicore performance but worse single core. So no point in keeping it.

Auto clock with fixed voltage also yield me better multicore and worse single core. And better thermals.

Ccx oc gave me way better multicore, and slightly better singlecore performance compared with my numbers while on auto. But I don't have the time right now to tweak oc per ccx so I left clock on auto, vcore on auto, and just tweaked llc and offset in a way where I get same numbers as full auto but with less vcore under load and therefore less heat.

Edit

Vcore under load (cb15, cb20, cpuz) is around 1.264v-1.28v, also with a taichi but a x370 one.

Sent from Tapatalk

PCDEBAIANO
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
Taichi X370
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator 4000
Cooling
3x360mm
Case
Lian Li o11d
Monitor
HANNspree HG324
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I dont know anything about ccx overclocking. intel processers are way easy to overclock. This 3900x is nothing but a headache. my 9700k would oc to 5ghz out the box. I beiieve I made a big mistake getting this processor. Its more hype than anything. But Thankyou for the help. My first post here and you are the only one that has given me help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:41 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 305 (Unique: 244)
My x570 is pretty similar. Every now and then my machine will not boot and do the 3 failed boot then reboot with default settings. Running 3900x @ 4.4ghz all core with bdie @ 3800mhz 1:1. Machine is rock stable solid except every once and a while it fails to boot, and I have to apply my saved profile then everything is fine, been considering getting another board lately.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
My x570 is pretty similar. Every now and then my machine will not boot and do the 3 failed boot then reboot with default settings. Running 3900x @ 4.4ghz all core with bdie @ 3800mhz 1:1. Machine is rock stable solid except every once and a while it fails to boot, and I have to apply my saved profile then everything is fine, been considering getting another board lately.
Whats your bios setting I am getting really tired of this. I can boot at 4400 but only for one boot then right back to factory setting
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 02:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by moremonir View Post
I dont know anything about ccx overclocking. intel processers are way easy to overclock. This 3900x is nothing but a headache. my 9700k would oc to 5ghz out the box. I beiieve I made a big mistake getting this processor. Its more hype than anything. But Thankyou for the help. My first post here and you are the only one that has given me help
It's alright, the fact is people are tired of replying same thing over and over about this. You gotta read, as you said it's your 1st amd cpu and you went down the road like it's a Intel and did overclock. That is not the way, ryzen 3000 already run in their limits, no need to all core overclock. In fact overclock is not needed, I know it's boring, I've been there too and I got used to it. But the performance is great. If you really want to overclock go for ccx, set auto clock, a fixed voltage of 1.285 (I'd use that voltage as max) and use ryzen master to do so, I'd try 4450/4400/4350/4300. If stable set that in bios and that's it, you are done.

Sent from Tapatalk

PCDEBAIANO
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
Taichi X370
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator 4000
Cooling
3x360mm
Case
Lian Li o11d
Monitor
HANNspree HG324
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by thomasck View Post
It's alright, the fact is people are tired of replying same thing over and over about this. You gotta read, as you said it's your 1st amd cpu and you went down the road like it's a Intel and did overclock. That is not the way, ryzen 3000 already run in their limits, no need to all core overclock. In fact overclock is not needed, I know it's boring, I've been there too and I got used to it. But the performance is great. If you really want to overclock go for ccx, set auto clock, a fixed voltage of 1.285 (I'd use that voltage as max) and use ryzen master to do so, I'd try 4450/4400/4350/4300. If stable set that in bios and that's it, you are done.

Sent from Tapatalk
Ok I give up I am running at stock. xmp profile of 3600 and that's it. I read through this thread but those guys are way out my league. They used terms that will takes me months to understand. I will used this for my second pc. I will play around with this until the Intel Core i9-10900K come out. Thank you very much for the help . I appreciate it.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I know this is a really elementary suggestion; but have you been making sure to press "F-10" to exit the BIOS to make sure it "Saves and Restarts"?

If you do not save your BIOS profile prior to the restart after setting up your bios; it will not load up your preferred settings next boot.

If using F-10 to save and exit isn't working then you may have a dead motherboard battery (the little watch battery on the motherboard). This battery is replaceable.

How to Test-Bed a Dead Motherboard Battery:

You can see if the battery is dead by attempting to save a use profile near the bottom of the OC-Tweaker page in the BIOS. Try saving a profile here. It doesn't matter which settings you have or what you name the profile - so long as you save it locally in the bios memory.

Once you reboot (by pressing F-10, and choosing yes) go to the OC-Tweaker page, scroll down and attempt to load a user profile. If the profile you just saved is gone, then you either have a bad battery, or a bad CMOS and may need to RMA your motherboard.

DO OR B-DIE -- 3800C14-16GTZN
CPU
3900X
Motherboard
AsRock x570 Taichi
GPU
MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X
RAM
Trident Z Neo F43800C14D-16GTZN Samsung B-Die
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 520 PCI-e 4.0 NVME
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Pro SATA
Power Supply
NZXT HALE90 Fully Modular
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 72X 380mm Radiator
Cooling
Corsair RGB Fans x3
Case
Corsair Crystal 570x Mirrrored Black Finish
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Monoprice Zero-G 35" Curved Ultra-Wide
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Logitech Trackball
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Greatli; 02-14-2020 at 09:51 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I always save inside my bios before I leave. But I did notice that my clock on the bottom of my desktop will not keep the correct time
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 09:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by moremonir View Post
I always save inside my bios before I leave. But I did notice that my clock on the bottom of my desktop will not keep the correct time

Okay mate; I'm 98% sure it is a dead CMOS battery. If you look on page 1 of your x570 Taichi manual you can see where it is on the motherboard. It is labeled "CMOS Battery" and is located between PCI-E 1 (x16) and PCI-E 2 (x4).

In this picture you can see the very bottom of the battery (the circular bit) right above the upper short black PCI-E slot (Labeled PCI-E 2 on pg.1 of your Mobo Book). It is mostly covered by the cooling shroud.

The battery should be a CR2032 button battery - which is the battery just about 100% of motherboard manufacturers have used for the past 15 years. The are available to buy online; or pretty much any local pharmacy, larger-type retailer, or online (in the USA) such as CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

The battery may be dead, or just inserted a little bit wonky. Make sure that your system is off and unplugged before you begin working on it.

To access it you will have to take off the cooling shroud (the same one that you take off to install m.2 drives). You will probably have to use the star-shaped Torx screwdriver that came with your x570 Taichi board to take the shroud off. Part of the shroud is plugged into the motherboard via small cable; so just be sure to take care with that bit, and of course, re-plug it back in when you are finished (it powers the x570 chipset fan).

--------------------
The other 2% it COULD be other than the battery is probably the CLRCMOS jumper being in the "shorted" position instead of the "normal" position.

If the battery does not fix it let us know and we can help with the jumper if you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_asrock_x570_taichi_pci.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	326820  

DO OR B-DIE -- 3800C14-16GTZN
CPU
3900X
Motherboard
AsRock x570 Taichi
GPU
MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X
RAM
Trident Z Neo F43800C14D-16GTZN Samsung B-Die
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 520 PCI-e 4.0 NVME
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Pro SATA
Power Supply
NZXT HALE90 Fully Modular
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 72X 380mm Radiator
Cooling
Corsair RGB Fans x3
Case
Corsair Crystal 570x Mirrrored Black Finish
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Monoprice Zero-G 35" Curved Ultra-Wide
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Logitech Trackball
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Greatli; 02-15-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in