max safe vcore for a 2700 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

max safe vcore for a 2700

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 65 (Unique: 45)
As always, Pook Is correct. There is a lot of Nuance to this topic. I told @kaitlin4599 to try to find the max of the chip at 1.45v because I know from experience the Chip can handle it, AS LONG AS you can keep it at around 85c or below during your load.

Voltage is NOT what kills chips. Current, and Heat, is what kills chips. If you know what you are doing, as @The Pook Eluded to, you can run the chip at 1.7v under extreme cooling and be completely fine. Under normal ambient conditions, you just want to avoid pumping enough current to overheat the chip, its literally that simple. With that particular chip, 85c tDie can be run at 100% CPU Load all day every day and never skip a beat. So what ever voltage you use (Because this will vary from individual chip to individual chip, and from cooling solution to cooling solution) just make sure that under full load you can keep the temps at or below 85c, and you have nothing to worry about. For transient loads is even ok to go above that, as nothing is absolute, just as a general rule of thumb for the 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU's, if you keep the chip at 85c or below under full load, you will never have a degradation issue.

Obviously, I should not say Never, the Chip has only been out for not even 2 years yet, but based on my experience with both Gen 1 and 2, I can confidently say that you will not have noticeable degradation for at least 3 years, and its probable that if you follow that guideline you probably won't have any degradation for years to come, unless it turns out that their is some flaw with the Zen Silicon, which is unlikely.

So to be on the super safe side, keep your chip at or below 85c, and you have no need to worry. You can honestly go above that and be completely fine for those who know what they are doing, but if you are unsure, follow that guideline and you can put your mind at ease.

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:46 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 595 (Unique: 464)
Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
My guess is 1.51v at the limit. DEPENDS ON TEMPS too. Keep it under 1.5v and you should be fine.

Why post a 52min video without a summary? Not all users have high bandwith net.
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
As always, Pook Is correct. There is a lot of Nuance to this topic. I told @kaitlin4599 to try to find the max of the chip at 1.45v because I know from experience the Chip can handle it, AS LONG AS you can keep it at around 85c or below during your load.

Voltage is NOT what kills chips. Current, and Heat, is what kills chips. If you know what you are doing, as @The Pook Eluded to, you can run the chip at 1.7v under extreme cooling and be completely fine. Under normal ambient conditions, you just want to avoid pumping enough current to overheat the chip, its literally that simple. With that particular chip, 85c tDie can be run at 100% CPU Load all day every day and never skip a beat. So what ever voltage you use (Because this will vary from individual chip to individual chip, and from cooling solution to cooling solution) just make sure that under full load you can keep the temps at or below 85c, and you have nothing to worry about. For transient loads is even ok to go above that, as nothing is absolute, just as a general rule of thumb for the 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU's, if you keep the chip at 85c or below under full load, you will never have a degradation issue.

Obviously, I should not say Never, the Chip has only been out for not even 2 years yet, but based on my experience with both Gen 1 and 2, I can confidently say that you will not have noticeable degradation for at least 3 years, and its probable that if you follow that guideline you probably won't have any degradation for years to come, unless it turns out that their is some flaw with the Zen Silicon, which is unlikely.

So to be on the super safe side, keep your chip at or below 85c, and you have no need to worry. You can honestly go above that and be completely fine for those who know what they are doing, but if you are unsure, follow that guideline and you can put your mind at ease.
https://valid.x86.fr/werf15

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
As long as you're 1.3v(sv12 sensor) or less under load I'd say you're 1000% safe. 1.45v is definitely way too much for a 24/7 overclock. On the 2600x the stilt tested he found 1.33v was the max safe load voltage, it's probably slightly less for a 2700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:52 AM
Invalid Media

Rep: 45 (Unique: 24)
In terms of 'max safe' voltage for a 2700x, it is obviously a combination of factors that also includes temps and LoadLC. I have a 16c 2950x (related to 2700x) and with big cooling, it has rarely gone into the 70c range even under heavy load, yet I keep load voltage from peaking beyond 1.35v. That's just my personal '24/7' max I also use on various Intel CPUs (unless I'm doing some sub-zero/sub-ambient cooling). It is entirely possible that higher vCore is safer, but that is where I feel comfortable.

In addition, during oc'ing any CPU, your're going to find a range where the chip 'hits a wall' <> for a given additional MHz jump, you need proportionally more vCore and/or LLC compared to the previous steps. For 24/7, I like to stay just below that jump. BTW, I regularly watch Buildzoid's channel, and even with his unique presentation style, it's worth it, IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in