Upgrading from 2700x - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Upgrading from 2700x

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
esoter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Rep: 0
Upgrading from 2700x

Hello everyone, I currently have this 2700x system you see below, and it is used solely for audio mixing. Fairly high to sometimes very high track counts and VST mixing plugins on Cubase 10.
High plugin and track count are priorities as I don't record or use synth VSTi's. So I had spec'ed out and built this computer this way in Feb of 2019 reserving the possibility to upgrade for the next AMD generation.
I wanted to get some feedback on your thoughts on which CPU to upgrade to as well as if this system is in fact upgradable without a hitch.
From what I've read it seems 3900x?

Cooler Master Mastergel Maker CPU-Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation
DEEPCOOL MATREXX 55 RGB Mid Tower ATX
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz
Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M
512GB Intel(R) 660P SSD
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO
1TB WD Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200
16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance
ASRock X470 TAICHI AM4 ATX
Thermaltake SMART series 600Watts 80 Plus Gold
AMD Radeon RX 560 2GB GDDR5 Video Card
esoter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:29 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
gerardfraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 809
Rep: 94 (Unique: 73)
Depends on what you would like to spend.
AMD 3950X and here is a spreadsheet for VRM on the (AM4-socket for AMD Ryzen CPUs) By Cr1318 (Reddit)
Cautilus#5912 (Discord)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=639584818

Motherboards (AM4-socket for AMD Ryzen CPUs) Comparison by by Raison John Bassig

X570/X470/X370/B450/B350/A320
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2112472504

Last edited by gerardfraser; 02-07-2020 at 04:34 PM.
gerardfraser is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
esoter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Rep: 0
Thank you for the spreadsheets gerardfraser. The 2 CPU upgrades that I'd consider worthwhile and compatible then, accordingly, would be 3900x or 3950x.
So now it's really a matter of price as you said. I feel at $720 for the 3950x, that I'd consider just getting a whole new rig.
$450 on the other hand for the other seems more reasonable in terms of spending money on an upgrade.
esoter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
gerardfraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 809
Rep: 94 (Unique: 73)
Quote: Originally Posted by esoter View Post
Thank you for the spreadsheets gerardfraser. The 2 CPU upgrades that I'd consider worthwhile and compatible then, accordingly, would be 3900x or 3950x.
So now it's really a matter of price as you said. I feel at $720 for the 3950x, that I'd consider just getting a whole new rig.
$450 on the other hand for the other seems more reasonable in terms of spending money on an upgrade.
I would look for a 3900X on forums like this in the buy and sell portion,someone will upgrade to 3950X and sell there 3900X cheap.

Also Microcenter AMD sale (2600x - 79.99, 3600x - 159.99, 3700x - 259.99, 3800x - 279.99, 3950x - 699.99) + $20 mobo discount!
gerardfraser is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
esoter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by gerardfraser View Post
I would look for a 3900X on forums like this in the buy and sell portion,someone will upgrade to 3950X and sell there 3900X cheap.

Also Microcenter AMD sale (2600x - 79.99, 3600x - 159.99, 3700x - 259.99, 3800x - 279.99, 3950x - 699.99) + $20 mobo discount!
Great idea!
Microcenter may even be better for me. Quick question, do you think my current mobo should be changed for this CPU upgrade?
esoter is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:47 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
gerardfraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 809
Rep: 94 (Unique: 73)
Quote: Originally Posted by esoter View Post
Great idea!
Microcenter may even be better for me. Quick question, do you think my current mobo should be changed for this CPU upgrade?
No it is fine,just the maker is slow on BIOS updates but saying that the BIOS updates are pretty much maxed out with good performance.There will be new BIOS agesa from AMD soon but will not be much difference in performance.
You can still look at the comparision motherboards but you will not get any advantage with a newer motherboard unless you go balls to the walls AMD PCIE GPU 4.0 an NVME PCIE 4.0.Looking at what you wrote answer no your fine,just my opinion ,others may say different.
gerardfraser is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
martinhal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,207
Rep: 72 (Unique: 60)
The 3900x would be an upgrade for sure. The question is if time matters to you ? 16 cores should make things go faster. It may be worth while to wait for Ryzen3 as it will be the last chip on AM4, That way you get the best chip and max life out of AM4. PCIE 4 is mainly for storage , again will the extra speed help you work load ?


martinhal is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
esoter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by gerardfraser View Post
No it is fine,just the maker is slow on BIOS updates but saying that the BIOS updates are pretty much maxed out with good performance.There will be new BIOS agesa from AMD soon but will not be much difference in performance.
You can still look at the comparision motherboards but you will not get any advantage with a newer motherboard unless you go balls to the walls AMD PCIE GPU 4.0 an NVME PCIE 4.0.Looking at what you wrote answer no your fine,just my opinion ,others may say different.
Awesome, thanks again. I'm thinking a BIOS update before swapping CPU would be wiser then.

Quote: Originally Posted by martinhal View Post
The 3900x would be an upgrade for sure. The question is if time matters to you ? 16 cores should make things go faster. It may be worth while to wait for Ryzen3 as it will be the last chip on AM4, That way you get the best chip and max life out of AM4. PCIE 4 is mainly for storage , again will the extra speed help you work load ?
This is an excellent point too. What is the ETA for this final AM4 chip? This year?
I think the only thing that would stop me from this plan would be obviously the price will be significantly higher, being the latest and greatest I suppose.
esoter is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:47 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
martinhal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,207
Rep: 72 (Unique: 60)
I believe it will be in the second half of this year. I think the pricing will be similar to the current gen. With Intel dropping prices AMD can't go to wild. I'm returning my 3950X for a 3600X so that I can get a Ryzen 3 and fell like I have an upgrade.


martinhal is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:50 AM
Senior OCN Member
 
shilka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 39,097
Rep: 2784 (Unique: 1646)
sory posted in the wrong thead by mistake so never mind

Dumpster fire
(27 items)
Seravee
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard
Asrock x570 Taichi
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
G Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf Pro ST14000NE0008
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf ST12000VN0007
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf Pro ST12000NE0007
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf Pro ST16000NE000
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12S Chromax
Case
Phanteks Luxe 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mousepad
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
RHA L1 Dacamp
Audio
Sennheiser HD 599
Audio
Dali E 12 F
Audio
2x Dali Opticon 1
Audio
2x Dali Opticon 2
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Other
Vegas MBA 60cm LED Strip
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
GTX 1060 3 GB wth blower style cooler
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus GX 650 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
AOC 24G2U
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming STRAFE RGB Mechanical
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mousepad
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 Watt
Monitor
LG 24MP59G-P
Mouse
Logitech MX518 Hero
Other
Delock PCI-E to M.2 NVME Adaptor Card
▲ hide details ▲
shilka is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off