Think a 3950x is enough for what I want to do - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Think a 3950x is enough for what I want to do

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Back to Building

Rep: 107 (Unique: 92)
Think a 3950x is enough for what I want to do

Right now I have a 9600K gaming machine and a 3900X unraid server and i am considering merging them so i need a cpu that is more than the two of those together. Trying to keep the costs down as much as possible so i was looking at the 3950x (since there is a big jump in overall cost to Threadripper or something like a 10980xe)

I do a lot of VR gaming right now on the 9600k (Valve Index so my target is in the 120/144 fps range) and the 3900X is mostly used for a fairly large plex server (I have about 75% of the cpu allocated to that) and then a small minecraft server. I am looking at getting into mixed reality VR capture though so i suspect my 9600k would start to struggle with that.

If I took 4c/8t from the 3950X and gave it to my gaming VM do you think that would surpass having just the current 9600k? I would then taking the remaining 12c/24t and divide it up for plex and unraid and my minecraft server. If i really needed to i could probably steal a couple cores from plex and give 6c/12t to the gaming VM.

Also, I am a bit worried about PCIE Lanes. I will have a 2080 Super, a GT 710 (pcie x1), an x4 PCIE usb card, 3x nvme drives and 6-8x Sata drives

Think the 3950X/x570 is up to the task?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in