Think a 3950x is enough for what I want to do - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Think a 3950x is enough for what I want to do

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Back to Building

Rep: 107 (Unique: 92)
Think a 3950x is enough for what I want to do

Right now I have a 9600K gaming machine and a 3900X unraid server and i am considering merging them so i need a cpu that is more than the two of those together. Trying to keep the costs down as much as possible so i was looking at the 3950x (since there is a big jump in overall cost to Threadripper or something like a 10980xe)

I do a lot of VR gaming right now on the 9600k (Valve Index so my target is in the 120/144 fps range) and the 3900X is mostly used for a fairly large plex server (I have about 75% of the cpu allocated to that) and then a small minecraft server. I am looking at getting into mixed reality VR capture though so i suspect my 9600k would start to struggle with that.

If I took 4c/8t from the 3950X and gave it to my gaming VM do you think that would surpass having just the current 9600k? I would then taking the remaining 12c/24t and divide it up for plex and unraid and my minecraft server. If i really needed to i could probably steal a couple cores from plex and give 6c/12t to the gaming VM.

Also, I am a bit worried about PCIE Lanes. I will have a 2080 Super, a GT 710 (pcie x1), an x4 PCIE usb card, 3x nvme drives and 6-8x Sata drives

Think the 3950X/x570 is up to the task?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 09:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I recently built an UNRAID machine using a 3900x (12c/24t). I have 7c/14t dedictacated to my gaming VM, and the other 5c/10t for Plex, Unraid, a linux VM, and all the dockers I have running. 5c is more than enough for my plex and linux vm and other dockers. Add another 2c/4t for minecraft and youre at 7 or 8 cores for the machine, leaving a full 8 cores for the VM if you'd like. That's all up to you and can be tweaked as needed. I'm confident the amount of power in the 3950x will be good for you, and I don't think the vastly more expensive threadripper will be worth the money for your use case.

PCI-E lanes are dependent on the SSD. You have 2-lane and 4-lane variants.

Take this with a grain of salt because I learned this recently, it might not be correct. If someone could confirm or deny that would be appreciated:

Without threadripper, the most PCIE lanes you're gonna get is 24. That's 16+4+4, which means a set of 16x, a set of 4x, and another 4x for the chipset, which will take it's 4 lanes and divide them up for you as needed. So you can definitely use all your devices, but they might end up sharing lanes. Unless you're fully saturating all devices all the time, this really isn't a problem for most people. I do not know your specific use case though. Why 3 nvme drives? Can you increase capacity and reduce the number of drives?
Also, I am fairly sure the GPU will not exceed x8 lanes. With PCIE 4.0 your speed per lane is essentially doubled, so an x16 card at 3.0 will be an x8 card at 4.0. Again, not sure if this is 100% accurate.

Make sure to download the tips and tweaks plugin - it helps enable the full turboboost on the CPU.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:16 AM
LTSC for life crew

Rep: 156 (Unique: 107)
If you are only streaming 1080P via Plex you might consider something like a WD My Cloud Home device like I have switched to. I originally had an HP Dl360P rackmount server with 2x Xeons, and then switched to a 3900X myself, and finally settled on the My Cloud device for my Plex needs. Works great and has no trouble with multiple concurrent streams.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/prod...XC0030HWT-NESN

CPU
Ryzen 1600 AF
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spintpoint M9T 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Alienware W/Cherry MX Switches
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in