New 3600 very hot and low scores? *scratching head* - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

New 3600 very hot and low scores? *scratching head*

post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
New 3600 very hot and low scores? *scratching head*

So I recently finally upgraded my set up from a 4690k & 390X trying to decide whether to go the 8700K route or go AMD with room to upgrade for about the same price, the 2070S OC'd nice running stable at 2040 core & 7500(15k) memory, ram is stable at 3400 without changing the main timings, it says chip quality 93% and potential to OC to 4110 CL16 but not sure how far to go considering I only want it to get as many frames as possible while remaining stable, however the biggest disappointment so far is the 3600, I am reusing my Pure Rock cooler with NT-H1 paste rather than the Wraith Stealth as its a more mid range cooler which was getting good temps on the 4690K, but even stock its getting terrible temps under Prime95, I know prime is very hard on the CPU but if its good on prime I am confident it can handle just about anything and it should more than handle it with an aftermarket cooler on stock settings! not sure why the TDC and PPT values are maxed in Ryzen master while on Prime95 stock as this board should be capable of maxing any chip, even OC a 3950, I can't get it to boost to x43, on latest bios, just seems rather disappointing, my Cinebench scores are also nothing to write home about, way lower than what people have been posting in 3600 reviews, is there something I am missing here? or did I just get a bad chip? would this be considered RMA'able? Can't really think of any reason why this would be especially having 1 NF-F12 blowing cold air from front, 2 exhausting right out the CPU from top and side, 1 stock fan blowing cool air directly between GPU and CPU and 1 also from front, CPU fan is set to 100% at all times due to motherboard only having 3 headers one being AIO pump which has to run 100% and the other 2 control the exhaust fans near the CPU cooler as they go real loud compared to the CPU fan, when I cranked the all cores clock to 4.2 or 4.3 it was stable with less than 1.35 volts but the temps were around 95-103 degrees! with this cooler it should not even be possible. I added the GPU and RAM data to show that there is nothing wrong with the machine other than the CPU. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.4 stable.png
Views:	34
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	336268  

Name:	3.4 latency.png
Views:	21
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	336270  

Name:	oc temps stock.png
Views:	47
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	336272  

Name:	cpu oc not maxed.png
Views:	35
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	336274  

Name:	cinebench 20 score.png
Views:	66
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	336276  

Name:	cinebench 15 score.png
Views:	55
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	336278  

Name:	IMG20200401151853.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	4.32 MB
ID:	336280  

Name:	gpu oc.png
Views:	15
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	336286  

Attached Images

Last edited by eryklok; 04-01-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 01:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 886 (Unique: 640)
Your temp in P95 for the cpu seems normal. What's the 88c for? Could be the chipset or bork reading.

Both your Multi and Single scores in Cine are a bit low but not too bad. I get about 196 at stock.

Notice your fan for the cpu cooler is sucking prolly warmer air from the gpu. You can prolly make the top fan suck air if not yet and reverse the fan for the cooler to push towards the gpu.

Also, pls run 3D Mark Firestrike Physics test. You should be getting around 19500 points. It would be a easier comparison at stock. This is how i applied the paste on mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ryzen Dies.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	336296  

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
Your temp in P95 for the cpu seems normal. What's the 88c for? Could be the chipset or bork reading.

Both your Multi and Single scores in Cine are a bit low but not too bad. I get about 196 at stock.

Notice your fan for the cpu cooler is sucking prolly warmer air from the gpu. You can prolly make the top fan suck air if not yet and reverse the fan for the cooler to push towards the gpu.

Also, pls run 3D Mark Firestrike Physics test. You should be getting around 19500 points. It would be a easier comparison at stock. This is how i applied the paste on mine.

not too sure what that temp is for maybe someone with an asus X570-i on here knows, I heard some have been shipped without a thermal pad for the chipset so I might have to check that, the gpu stays completely cool because I am only doing the CPU stress testing and I can touch it and it feels cool to touch, I've thought of that but wouldn't that go against the whole "heat goes up" and from there it wouldn't really have a spot to exhaust, anyhow even without those fans there I should get at the very least 70-80c on overclock.. Thanks a ton for the photo of the 3600 xray, I couldn't find anything specific on the application method so I just spread it with a card then applied some more so there would be plenty there to spread, I will try reapply tonight and report back, the mounting bracket for this cooler definitely isn't the optimal set up but I am wondering whether its just me and my chip or if someone else has had similar issues, this cooler is meant to be in the same category as Hyper 212X EVO, I can't really consider another cooler as my next purchase is gonna be an NZXT H1 with the AIO hence the ITX board but really wanna get this sorted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	firestrike score.png
Views:	18
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	336298  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 886 (Unique: 640)
Quote: Originally Posted by eryklok View Post
not too sure what that temp is for maybe someone with an asus X570-i on here knows, I heard some have been shipped without a thermal pad for the chipset so I might have to check that, the gpu stays completely cool because I am only doing the CPU stress testing and I can touch it and it feels cool to touch, I've thought of that but wouldn't that go against the whole "heat goes up" and from there it wouldn't really have a spot to exhaust, anyhow even without those fans there I should get at the very least 70-80c on overclock.. Thanks a ton for the photo of the 3600 xray, I couldn't find anything specific on the application method so I just spread it with a card then applied some more so there would be plenty there to spread, I will try reapply tonight and report back, the mounting bracket for this cooler definitely isn't the optimal set up but I am wondering whether its just me and my chip or if someone else has had similar issues, this cooler is meant to be in the same category as Hyper 212X EVO, I can't really consider another cooler as my next purchase is gonna be an NZXT H1 with the AIO hence the ITX board but really wanna get this sorted.
Again, your score in this particular test is within margin of error. Though it is a short test. Like i said, if you can put the fan on the other side in push and the top fan sucking air - it might help a bit in longer load times like in P95. In blend, my sustained clocks was 3.8GHz + with a Noctua U12S cooler and a single fan.

If you can maintain stability at 4.2GHz during normal use including gaming, then go with it. I say, the hell with P95. Firestrike Physics score is just above 20,000 points. Heck, 4.3 will be better.

The heat goes up rule really does not apply inside such a small enclosed space. Air flow is easily directed to go where you want it to go.

Make adjustments to the cpu cooler if you have to but not necessary. I'll just lv things the way they are if i were you. Less handling, less chance of breaking stuff.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
OP whats your power plan in win10 system settings. Whatever you have set now set it to ryzen balanced plan and check again if cpu boosts properly. Also dont OC cpu until you find out why is your cpu not boostings as advertised on default settings

Last edited by i core; 04-01-2020 at 03:22 AM.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Temps still unacceptable at 4.2 and hardly acceptable at stock and 37.75x is the most I can achieve with an aftermarket cooler, seems a bit off to me, if anything the CPU should run as advertised with the stock cooler and being unlocked be able to overclock using an aftermarket cooler, this can't even reach the advertised boost clock with an aftermarket cooler and under performing in all of the benchmarks I've done.. :s
I can't help but think I must be missing something here because there is no way they would be able to sell a chip which goes through a binning process to be considered a 3600, unless I am missing some setting or something for it to be boosting right, maybe that has to do something with the thermals, because the TDC and PPT are 100% at stock but nowhere near 100% at 4.2ghz which I set peak core voltage to 1.35v maybe it just needs more voltage to boost? shouldn't really need more than stock tho...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cpu temps after paste.png
Views:	25
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	336302  

Name:	4.2ghz after paste.png
Views:	17
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	336304  

Last edited by eryklok; 04-01-2020 at 03:22 AM.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:24 AM
Intel in 2020 LOL

Rep: 37 (Unique: 19)
Temps still unacceptable at 4.2 and hardly acceptable at stock and 37.75x is the most I can achieve with an aftermarket cooler, seems a bit off to me, if anything the CPU should run as advertised with the stock cooler and being unlocked be able to overclock using an aftermarket cooler, this can't even reach the advertised boost clock with an aftermarket cooler and under performing in all of the benchmarks I've done.. :s
I can't help but think I must be missing something here because there is no way they would be able to sell a chip which goes through a binning process to be considered a 3600, unless I am missing some setting or something for it to be boosting right, maybe that has to do something with the thermals, because the TDC and PPT are 100% at stock but nowhere near 100% at 4.2ghz which I set peak core voltage to 1.35v maybe it just needs more voltage to boost? shouldn't really need more than stock tho...
Your CPU cooler is drawing all the hot air from the gfx card. Rotate it 90 degrees to the left.

AMD Bliss
(16 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Pro - 1.0.0.4B
GPU
Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse
RAM
2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3600C15 @3800 14-15-12-28-40 1T 1.52V
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
2x Crucial MX500 1TB
Power Supply
Super Flower Leadex II Gold 650W
Cooling
be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Case
Phanteks P350X
Monitor
Asus VG245HE
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mousepad
Logitech G440 hardmat
Audio
Asus Cerberus
CPU
Intel Core i5 4460
Motherboard
Gigabyte B85M-D3H-A
GPU
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB
RAM
2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1600 CL10
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Power Supply
Super Flower Golden King Pro SF-500P14PE 500W 80+ Platinum
Cooling
Intel Stock Cooler
Case
Zalman Z11+
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus VG245HE TN 1080p 75hz
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Mousepad
Logitech G440
Audio
Logitech X-540 5.1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard
Gigabyte P43-ES3G
GPU
Asus R9 270X Top 2GB
RAM
2x2048MB Kingston DDR2 800mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Power Supply
Sirtec High-Power 80+ 400W
Cooling
Some 92mm cooler
Case
Zalman Z11+
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate x64
Monitor
Several LG/BenQ 17" 1280x1024 75hz
Keyboard
Logitech G710+ MX Brown
Mouse
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 2013
Mousepad
Logitech G440 hardmat
Mousepad
Razer Goliathus Speed WoT Edition
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by rares495 View Post
Your CPU cooler is drawing all the hot air from the gfx card. Rotate it 90 degrees to the left.
maybe you didnt notice that he has problem to hit max.boost clocks with cpu default settings. Position of cooler isnt important now.
OP whats your idle temps and stop OC because temps are high you can damage cpu

post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by i core View Post
OP whats your power plan in win10 system settings. Whatever you have set now set it to ryzen balanced plan and check again if cpu boosts properly. Also dont OC cpu until you find out why is your cpu not boostings as advertised on default settings
I've got it at Ryzen High Performance plan, don't really need it clocking down at idle..

Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
Again, your score in this particular test is within margin of error. Though it is a short test. Like i said, if you can put the fan on the other side in push and the top fan sucking air - it might help a bit in longer load times like in P95. In blend, my sustained clocks was 3.8GHz + with a Noctua U12S cooler and a single fan.

If you can maintain stability at 4.2GHz during normal use including gaming, then go with it. I say, the hell with P95. Firestrike Physics score is just above 20,000 points. Heck, 4.3 will be better.

The heat goes up rule really does not apply inside such a small enclosed space. Air flow is easily directed to go where you want it to go.

Make adjustments to the cpu cooler if you have to but not necessary. I'll just lv things the way they are if i were you. Less handling, less chance of breaking stuff.
The firestrike Physics is at 19073 stock, the whole thing is this set up is less than 2 weeks old and if there is an issue I might as well jump on it now and get it replaced, you mean the rear fan to push air into the case and top to still exhaust? This cpu cooler should be on par with 212x hyper evo without those 2 fans around it and I can definitely confirm the gpu air is not hot under prime test and theres a fan on the side blowing cold air into that spot too.

Quote: Originally Posted by rares495 View Post
Can't do that, the brackets for it are shipped from germany and are about $20 plus would probably take about 2-4 weeks to ship and a new cooler would be around $60.. Should still be a way better than stock temps especially with those industrial fans there
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

I've got it at Ryzen High Performance plan, don't really need it clocking down at idle..

The firestrike Physics is at 19073 stock, the whole thing is this set up is less than 2 weeks old and if there is an issue I might as well jump on it now and get it replaced, you mean the rear fan to push air into the case and top to still exhaust? This cpu cooler should be on par with 212x hyper evo without those 2 fans around it and I can definitely confirm the gpu air is not hot under prime test and theres a fan on the side blowing cold air into that spot too.

Can't do that, the brackets for it are shipped from germany and are about $20 plus would probably take about 2-4 weeks to ship and a new cooler would be around $60.. Should still be a way better than stock temps especially with those industrial fans there
so u have high performance set and vcore is only 1.2v max. ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in