Please help this newb with a Ryzen 3950X build (for music production) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Please help this newb with a Ryzen 3950X build (for music production)

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Please help this newb with a Ryzen 3950X build (for music production)

Hey folks,

Like the title says, I'm a newb. And I've been out of the loop from building my own rig for about 8 years, so a lot has changed.

Background: I produce music. I will also do some light video production (nothing fancy, just simple YouTube videos). That's it. No gaming, this is all for music production in a DAW (Studio One, RME UCX interface). There's just so much to choose from. I am upgrading from an i7 3930K that I've had overclocked to 4.2ghz with a Noctua fan cooler for over 8 years (it's been so solid for me). But, i've finally hit the ceiling in my DAW, so it's time to upgrade. I've decided I am going with the 3950X and I could sincerely use some help with the following:

1) What chipset should I purchase?

It looks like there are several to choose from. I've been researching for a couple of days but I still feel a bit lost.
I was looking at X570 vs X470. I'm leaning towards X470 b/c I read it has much less power consumption (I read it's 5W vs 15W). That's a huge difference, and the idea of saving on my electric bill is a big plus.

2) What type of overclock can I expect versus the X570? If I go with the lower powered X470, will I be crying the blues because my overclock sucks?

3) Is there another chipset that would better suit me that I'm not considering?

This is hardware I want to attach to the motherboard:
1) Firewire PCIe card (standard TI chipset, I need this to connect my RME UCX interface. It's a must have. Will I experience issues with my firewire card? I've read that ASUS mobos have serious compatibility issues with these cards, so I'll be avoiding them and looking at ASRock or MSI. Any knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated)
2) I would like one of those NVMe SSD's connected via M2. The idea of that kind of speed for my system drive is very enticing
3) 3 SSD SATA drives minimum
4) Video card for 2-3 monitors, modest hardware acceleration for video rendering. Nothing fancy. Hopefully I can find one that only takes up one slot worth of space
5) One UAD card (possibly 2)
6) The more USB ports on the mobo the better.
7) Built-in wifi would be nice but not a deal breaker.

So overall, I think I need 4 PCIe slots, but I wouldn't be mad with 3.

Any help or direction with the above would be amazing. I've been research everything by myself for over a week and I haven't gotten further than deciding the CPU. I'm totally stuck on this chipset decision

Last edited by CPhoenix; 05-15-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Any help at all?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 05:41 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1433 (Unique: 725)
I take it you don't pay the electricity bill? the electricity cost of 5w vs 1w running 24/7 is a penny a day at the average national cost (0.14/KwH). If that's a deciding factor for which chipset then surely you wouldn't be buying a 3950X? lol

1) if you want/need PCI-E 4.0, then get X570.

2) Ryzen doesn't really OC so if that's your plan, wrong platform.

3) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=611478281

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(9 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (MX Blue)
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Mousepad
X-Ray 27" x 14"
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate
Audio
Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Keyboard
Dierya DK63 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 06:34 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 99 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Hey folks,

Like the title says, I'm a newb. And I've been out of the loop from building my own rig for about 8 years, so a lot has changed.

Background: I produce music. I will also do some light video production (nothing fancy, just simple YouTube videos). That's it. No gaming, this is all for music production in a DAW (Studio One, RME UCX interface). There's just so much to choose from. I am upgrading from an i7 3930K that I've had overclocked to 4.2ghz with a Noctua fan cooler for over 8 years (it's been so solid for me). But, i've finally hit the ceiling in my DAW, so it's time to upgrade. I've decided I am going with the 3950X and I could sincerely use some help with the following:

1) What chipset should I purchase?

It looks like there are several to choose from. I've been researching for a couple of days but I still feel a bit lost.
I was looking at X570 vs X470. I'm leaning towards X470 b/c I read it has much less power consumption (I read it's 5W vs 15W). That's a huge difference, and the idea of saving on my electric bill is a big plus.

2) What type of overclock can I expect versus the X570? If I go with the lower powered X470, will I be crying the blues because my overclock sucks?

3) Is there another chipset that would better suit me that I'm not considering?

This is hardware I want to attach to the motherboard:
1) Firewire PCIe card (standard TI chipset, I need this to connect my RME UCX interface. It's a must have. Will I experience issues with my firewire card? I've read that ASUS mobos have serious compatibility issues with these cards, so I'll be avoiding them and looking at ASRock or MSI. Any knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated)
2) I would like one of those NVMe SSD's connected via M2. The idea of that kind of speed for my system drive is very enticing
3) 3 SSD SATA drives minimum
4) Video card for 2-3 monitors, modest hardware acceleration for video rendering. Nothing fancy. Hopefully I can find one that only takes up one slot worth of space
5) One UAD card (possibly 2)
6) The more USB ports on the mobo the better.
7) Built-in wifi would be nice but not a deal breaker.

So overall, I think I need 4 PCIe slots, but I wouldn't be mad with 3.

Any help or direction with the above would be amazing. I've been research everything by myself for over a week and I haven't gotten further than deciding the CPU. I'm totally stuck on this chipset decision
Any help at all?
I can try to help ya.

So first. I switched to USB Interfaces a long time ago, but I do have a few clients still using Firewire. They all use either The Crosshair VII Hero (x470), the Crosshair VIII Hero (x570) or the Asus WS x570.

First of all, as The Pook said, don't worry about the x570 Chipset, the extra 10w max are not going to add any noticeable difference to your system as far as power draw, its literally 1% on the overall power draw of the system under full load. If you are going Ryzen, its definitely advisable to go x570, simply because you will be able to upgrade in the future to at least the 4000 series, giving you more IPC and processing power, although the 3000 Series is plenty already.

If going with the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (Which I would recommend, the last problems with ASUS and the TI Chipset were back in the Z170 days, and were resolved back then), You will have 3 x16 PCIE4 Slots, and 1 PCIE4 x1 Slot. When Using every single Slot, your First 2 Will Run at x8, the 3rd will Run at by 4, and the x1 will Run at x1. You won't find a board on x470 that will allow you to run this configuration (without cutting Sata Ports, NVMe Slots, or Both), which is another reason why x570 is the Better Option for your use case.

Your Firewire card is only PCIE 1.0 x1, so I would put that in the x1 Slot.

Current Gen UAD Cards are now only x1, So You can Place Your GPU in the First Slot, Then Place any Remaining UAD Cards in the 2nd and 3rd PCIe Slots.

Also the Crosshair VIII Hero also has a Wifi Version that will come with Wifi Onboard (Although In a DAW Room, you should ALWAYS be running Ethernet), and still will give you 2 x4 M.2 Slots For NVMe SSDs, plus 8 SATA Ports.

This is similar to the Config I run for my clients in the Studios around town that have Control Studios or DAW Rooms that use PC. Most of these are Primarily Pro Tools Based Systems, but they of course have pretty much any PC Compatible DAE Software loaded on them, so that the Producer/Engineer can use which ever software they are most Comfortable With. I also have a few that Use the UAD Cards, so I know you will have no issues with that, or the Firewire Card.

This particular Motherboard also comes Loaded with 12 USB3.0 Ports, 8 are 10Gbps ports, 4 are 5Gbps Ports. It also comes loaded with an Intel 1Gbps Nic, and an Aquantia 2.5Gbps Nic. So in terms of I/O, it really is the perfect Production Board.

In some limited cases having 3 x8 PCIE4 Slots are more desirable, and in that case the ASUS x570 WS Board is the best option. However on that board you loose the x1 Slot, and you still need a graphics card, so in your case this board would be pointless, because 2 of your x8 slots would be taken up by Cards that won't utilize that bandwidth, and then you will use a bunch of IO, plus no ability to expand to a 2nd UAD card.

As far as Graphics card, the 2 best options for you would be either the 1660 TI Super, or the RTX 2060 KO. Both will be a tad over powered for what you will need it for, especially the RTX 2060 KO, but the KO will give you Tensor Cores that although won't be much help to you now will almost certainly come in handy for acceleration tasks in the future once developers have had a while to find good uses for them. If you don't want the Tensor Cores, then the 1660ti is the best option because it still has enough Cuda cores to help with current acceleration tasks. Almost all my Studios are kitted with one of these Cards.

I found the 3900x to be the most balanced chip, and is usually on sale, and will get the job done nicely. However if you can afford the 3950x, the extra 4 Cores definitely can be put to good use, especially if you are a Plugin Junky. Although a lot of your workload will be handled by your UAD Card when using UAD Plugins, but I use a heavy Mix of Both UAD and Waves in my Projects, along with all kinds of other powerful Synth Plugins, so when you have a heavy mix like that, as long as you kit out the necessary Ram (Don't go below 32GB, 64GB is HIGHLY Recommended), both the 3900x and the 3950x will handle this masterfully.

Also, to keep latency Low you will want to Load Process Lasso onto your system, the free version works just fine, and make sure to set your DAE Application to High Priority, set Windows to prefer Background Processes, and Use at least a 3200Mhz CL14 Kit of Ram, as this combination will take care of those wonky Latency issues that were an issue at launch on the platform.

Thats it, follow that general advice, and you should be fine! Good Luck!

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 05-17-2020 at 07:15 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
I take it you don't pay the electricity bill? the electricity cost of 5w vs 1w running 24/7 is a penny a day at the average national cost (0.14/KwH). If that's a deciding factor for which chipset then surely you wouldn't be buying a 3950X? lol

1) if you want/need PCI-E 4.0, then get X570.

2) Ryzen doesn't really OC so if that's your plan, wrong platform.

3) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=611478281
Ah okay, I had no clue what 15W vs 5W translates to in terms of actually power drawing from my wall, so THANK YOU! If that's not a big difference between the two, then X570 is starting to make a ton more sense. I also wanted to see what pushing my RAM further than 3200mhz feels like within my DAW... (probably won't make much difference)… so it's looking like X570 is the choice.

At the risk of sounding stupid... can you elaborate on how Ryzen doesn't really overclock? I've read 3950x can OC around 4.3ghz without much issue. That's perfect ballpark for me. I'm currently at 4.2ghz on an 3930K, which has been good and stable... so if I can do that on a 3950X which has more IPC, man I think i'll be golden. I'm not buying just to marvel and how high I can overclock something... I'm buying for performance and to get a comfortable/safe overclock that'll last a long time without pushing the chip to it's breaking point. Is 4.2ghz pushing it too hard? Please let me know, these are sincere questions. This isn't my field.

Also, I'm looking at the chart you linked. Thank you. But I'm not understanding what I'm looking at. I see a lot of red for the core current for 200A/150A on X470. So obviously red is bad but... what are you educating me on here? lol. What is 200A and 150A? (I'm seriously a noob, I wasn't joking). Are you saying that X470 basically doesn't pump out enough current to the cores to get a good overclock so I should go with X570? It would really help if you could break down the significance of that chart. I'm in over my head with all of the terms. I'll be relying on very simple/safe tweaks in the BIOS. I'm not qualified to mess around with voltages unless it's an XMP/AMP, I don't want to fry my mobo.

Any additional insight you can give would be appreciated.

Last edited by CPhoenix; 05-19-2020 at 07:29 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
I can try to help ya.

So first. I switched to USB Interfaces a long time ago, but I do have a few clients still using Firewire. They all use either The Crosshair VII Hero (x470), the Crosshair VIII Hero (x570) or the Asus WS x570.

First of all, as The Pook said, don't worry about the x570 Chipset, the extra 10w max are not going to add any noticeable difference to your system as far as power draw, its literally 1% on the overall power draw of the system under full load. If you are going Ryzen, its definitely advisable to go x570, simply because you will be able to upgrade in the future to at least the 4000 series, giving you more IPC and processing power, although the 3000 Series is plenty already.

If going with the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (Which I would recommend, the last problems with ASUS and the TI Chipset were back in the Z170 days, and were resolved back then), You will have 3 x16 PCIE4 Slots, and 1 PCIE4 x1 Slot. When Using every single Slot, your First 2 Will Run at x8, the 3rd will Run at by 4, and the x1 will Run at x1. You won't find a board on x470 that will allow you to run this configuration (without cutting Sata Ports, NVMe Slots, or Both), which is another reason why x570 is the Better Option for your use case.

Your Firewire card is only PCIE 1.0 x1, so I would put that in the x1 Slot.

Current Gen UAD Cards are now only x1, So You can Place Your GPU in the First Slot, Then Place any Remaining UAD Cards in the 2nd and 3rd PCIe Slots.

Also the Crosshair VIII Hero also has a Wifi Version that will come with Wifi Onboard (Although In a DAW Room, you should ALWAYS be running Ethernet), and still will give you 2 x4 M.2 Slots For NVMe SSDs, plus 8 SATA Ports.

This is similar to the Config I run for my clients in the Studios around town that have Control Studios or DAW Rooms that use PC. Most of these are Primarily Pro Tools Based Systems, but they of course have pretty much any PC Compatible DAE Software loaded on them, so that the Producer/Engineer can use which ever software they are most Comfortable With. I also have a few that Use the UAD Cards, so I know you will have no issues with that, or the Firewire Card.

This particular Motherboard also comes Loaded with 12 USB3.0 Ports, 8 are 10Gbps ports, 4 are 5Gbps Ports. It also comes loaded with an Intel 1Gbps Nic, and an Aquantia 2.5Gbps Nic. So in terms of I/O, it really is the perfect Production Board.

In some limited cases having 3 x8 PCIE4 Slots are more desirable, and in that case the ASUS x570 WS Board is the best option. However on that board you loose the x1 Slot, and you still need a graphics card, so in your case this board would be pointless, because 2 of your x8 slots would be taken up by Cards that won't utilize that bandwidth, and then you will use a bunch of IO, plus no ability to expand to a 2nd UAD card.

As far as Graphics card, the 2 best options for you would be either the 1660 TI Super, or the RTX 2060 KO. Both will be a tad over powered for what you will need it for, especially the RTX 2060 KO, but the KO will give you Tensor Cores that although won't be much help to you now will almost certainly come in handy for acceleration tasks in the future once developers have had a while to find good uses for them. If you don't want the Tensor Cores, then the 1660ti is the best option because it still has enough Cuda cores to help with current acceleration tasks. Almost all my Studios are kitted with one of these Cards.

I found the 3900x to be the most balanced chip, and is usually on sale, and will get the job done nicely. However if you can afford the 3950x, the extra 4 Cores definitely can be put to good use, especially if you are a Plugin Junky. Although a lot of your workload will be handled by your UAD Card when using UAD Plugins, but I use a heavy Mix of Both UAD and Waves in my Projects, along with all kinds of other powerful Synth Plugins, so when you have a heavy mix like that, as long as you kit out the necessary Ram (Don't go below 32GB, 64GB is HIGHLY Recommended), both the 3900x and the 3950x will handle this masterfully.

Also, to keep latency Low you will want to Load Process Lasso onto your system, the free version works just fine, and make sure to set your DAE Application to High Priority, set Windows to prefer Background Processes, and Use at least a 3200Mhz CL14 Kit of Ram, as this combination will take care of those wonky Latency issues that were an issue at launch on the platform.

Thats it, follow that general advice, and you should be fine! Good Luck!
Man this response was a wealth of information. Thank you.

I'm still re-reading it and looking up half the terms you used lol... so I will have questions once I digest. Thank you though man, you understand what I'm looking to do here. Much appreciated.

Sounds like X570 is the board for me.

And thank you for the multiple tips (video card, ethernet, system tweaks etc.) It never occurred to me to connect via ethernet to avoid pops/clicks I get in my audio stream from the wifi! Much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:09 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Man this response was a wealth of information. Thank you.

I'm still re-reading it and looking up half the terms you used lol... so I will have questions once I digest. Thank you though man, you understand what I'm looking to do here. Much appreciated.

Sounds like X570 is the board for me.

And thank you for the multiple tips (video card, ethernet, system tweaks etc.) It never occurred to me to connect via ethernet to avoid pops/clicks I get in my audio stream from the wifi! Much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NP Man, glad to be of help, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, when I am around I will answer. Good Luck with your Build!

-MattTheTech

DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Audio
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 10:11 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Ah okay, I had no clue what 15W vs 5W translates to in terms of actually power drawing from my wall, so THANK YOU! If that's not a big difference between the two, then X570 is starting to make a ton more sense. I also wanted to see what pushing my RAM further than 3200mhz feels like within my DAW... (probably won't make much difference)… so it's looking like X570 is the choice.

At the risk of sounding stupid... can you elaborate on how Ryzen doesn't really overclock? I've read 3950x can OC around 4.3ghz without much issue. That's perfect ballpark for me. I'm currently at 4.2ghz on an 3930K, which has been good and stable... so if I can do that on a 3950X which has more IPC, man I think i'll be golden. I'm not buying just to marvel and how high I can overclock something... I'm buying for performance and to get a comfortable/safe overclock that'll last a long time without pushing the chip to it's breaking point. Is 4.2ghz pushing it too hard? Please let me know, these are sincere questions. This isn't my field.

Also, I'm looking at the chart you linked. Thank you. But I'm not understanding what I'm looking at. I see a lot of red for the core current for 200A/150A on X470. So obviously red is bad but... what are you educating me on here? lol. What is 200A and 150A? (I'm seriously a noob, I wasn't joking). Are you saying that X470 basically doesn't pump out enough current to the cores to get a good overclock so I should go with X570? It would really help if you could break down the significance of that chart. I'm in over my head with all of the terms. I'll be relying on very simple/safe tweaks in the BIOS. I'm not qualified to mess around with voltages unless it's an XMP/AMP, I don't want to fry my mobo.

Any additional insight you can give would be appreciated.
Pook Linked some good information for finding the best board to suit your needs, it really would help for someone who knew the precise technical specs they were looking for.

In this case, I completely understand your mind set, your exact mind set is about a 10th of my client base, and because my background is actually audio engineering, I know the field well. (I ran a recording studio here in town for 6 Years before finally shutting it down to become a partner in the IT Administration and Consulting firm I am a part of now, and I took my knowledge of engineering and used it to corner the Studio Market here).

So, that said, I can help you surf the questions that you brought up. First, don't worry about the chart in this case. For your needs what you need is a good stable board, that has good power delivery, that will allow you to run 8 to 20 Hour sessions, and not give you any issues. You also need a board that gives you a good amount of IO, and will allow you to throw in your Expansion cards. Hands down this is the Crosshair VIII Hero, I can recommend it because its what I and My clients use. That and the Crosshair VII Hero, which you could also use, but You will get more bandwidth and a faster M.2 Slot (Because x570 has PCIE4.0) with the VIII Hero.

When comparing across architectures, and especially across companies (ie. Intel vs AMD) You can't compare clock speeds, as the way the architectures work are completely different, so just because 4.3Ghz worked for you on One platform, does not mean it will work on you on another that uses a different architecture. That said, in this case The IPC Gain from Ivy Bridge (The Architecture your 3930k Used) To Matisse (The Architecture The 3950x Uses) is pretty substantial. So you can bet that even running 4.2Ghz All Core on your 3950x will blow your 3930k Out of the water, even if the 3950x only had 4 Cores enabled.

Trust me when I say, on your DAW Workstation, there is no reason whatsoever to Overclock it. We will technically Overclock it, just by locking all the Cores to 4.2 or 4.3Ghz, instead of letting it Boost, this is so that Latency doesn't become an issue when Cores needing to pull a core up to do work. But actually trying to push the chip to get the most out of it will not be necessary in this case, it will have more than enough cycles to do everything you will need to do, and stability is MUCH more of a concern. If I was in your area I would take the time to find a mild OC just to make sure you are getting your money's worth, but I literally run it through days worth of Stability tests before putting it into production, and having you do that will make you want to pull your hair out because of all the minor adjustments you will have to make after each time it crashes. So your better bet is to set it at 4.2 to 4.3Ghz at a Core Voltage of 1.275v, and then let it purr until you have the time needed to really Squeeze more out of her. The truth is though, she will already be more power than you need, so there is not much of a need to push her to the edge.

However, Your memory is a different story. The More you can push your Memory, the Better your latency will be. Now with just 3200Mhz, you will already have low enough latency to be able to run a 128 Track session, with every track loaded with plugins without an issue (assuming you have the Amount of Ram Necessary to be able to sustain that), but the faster you can get it, the snappier it will be. Honestly you will have a hard time telling the difference between 3200Mhz and 3800Mhz, but if you can get to the sweet spot of 3600Mhz CL16, you will be right in the perfect zone.

Easiest way to do this, is just to grab you a 32GB or 64GB Kit of DDR4 3600Mhz CL16. Then all you will have to do is go into the BIOS, set the XMP (In Asus Bios it will be called DOCP) to Profile 1, and then your Ram will be dialed in for you, and at that point it will be diminishing returns, and fighting stability issues with Ram is the worst type of issues you can fight simply because they manifest themselves in a thousand different ways that will drive you crazy. So just buying the Kit that will do it out of the box will be easiest, however that will be expensive. You really want to get the Kit that lists 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36 Because that will be the best possible type of Ram you can get for your system, and will guaranteed work without issues for you. The CL16-19-19-39 will also work nicely and will be cheaper, but the 16-16-16-36 Ram is of a higher quality, and if you ever do want to push it further this kit will do it without an issue. It doesn't matter which Brand You get, Whether Corsair or G.Skill, if it lists those Timings the Ram Stick itself is the exact same, so just get the one that is cheaper. If it doesn't list the timings, then it isn't what you are looking for, this kit will always have its timings listed.

As far as reading that chart, if you do want help on how to decipher it, I will be happy to help you with that, but in your case I believe you are just looking for a stable board that will give you the features you want, compliment your chip nicely, and get out of the way for running your sessions. If thats the case, then I would just grab the Crosshair VIII Hero, its compatible with your gear, gives you the IO You need, and won't have any issues over heating or causing stability loss.

Any other questions you have, shoot them our way, and we will be happy to help you out!

-MattTheTech

DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Audio
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 06:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 21)
Don't even waste your time all core "OCing" it. Just set windows power plan to max performance, done. Pull up time on an idle core is as fast as the windows scheduler (faster technically), so your at that point waiting on the OS not the chip to respond.

Look into killing HPET in windows to improve latency for your use case.

Invest in a B I G cooler. The bigger the better so you can keep fan speed down and not hear it, 360 aio (Kraken) or custom loop.

Set PBO to disabled, while it DOES(despite some naysayers) offer some all core performance increase, the trade off is more power draw, a lot more, and that means more heat to fight for the cooler, so, to keep quiet and cool, no PBO no AutoOC.

Buy Samsung B-die, do t waste your time with revE, or any other BS. If it's for a production machine, just buy what works well, B-die.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:17 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by tcclaviger View Post
Don't even waste your time all core "OCing" it. Just set windows power plan to max performance, done. Pull up time on an idle core is as fast as the windows scheduler (faster technically), so your at that point waiting on the OS not the chip to respond.

Look into killing HPET in windows to improve latency for your use case.

Invest in a B I G cooler. The bigger the better so you can keep fan speed down and not hear it, 360 aio (Kraken) or custom loop.

Set PBO to disabled, while it DOES(despite some naysayers) offer some all core performance increase, the trade off is more power draw, a lot more, and that means more heat to fight for the cooler, so, to keep quiet and cool, no PBO no AutoOC.

Buy Samsung B-die, do t waste your time with revE, or any other BS. If it's for a production machine, just buy what works well, B-die.
All Good Advice. However in a Windows Audio Production Machine, its much better to set both the Windows Power Plan to Max Performance, and Set an All Core Multiplier, with a Static Low but Stable Voltage. I and Others have done literally years of testing on this, and for Pro Tools especially, but also with CuBase, Studio One, and other DAEs (Digital Audio Editors), this by far gets the smoothest Performance across the board. In a General Sense, your Advice is definitely sound and holds true to most applications, but for Audio Production In particular, especially for both Real Time Recording and Monitoring, as well as for MultiTrack Performance with Hundreds of Plugins, setting the Multiplier to a Static Clock, while also being sure to disable C-States and setting your Power Plan to Max Performance (Or Registry Equivalent) yields much more consistent results, especially when really loading up a Session with Hundreds of Tracks and Plugins it can be the difference between System Resource errors or Pops, Clicks, and Stutters in your Playback, to Smooth Performance.

I was waiting with baited breathe to test the 3000 Series after learning about the new Idle to Workload Performance Tweaks that they made in the Architecture, and while it is a significant improvement and brings them right inline with the competition, it still unfortunately is not as good as simply setting an All Core Multiplier. Although we still do benefit from those tweaks, because there still is a bring up time from Idle to Workload even with Power Savings Settings disabled, so there is still a measurable boost between the 2000 Series chips and the 3000 Series chips.

I am hoping with this Next Generation the 8 Core CCX and Unified Cache will be a game changer and be enough to have AVID come in and finally Certify these Chips with Pro Tools. Definitely the number one misconception out there in the Audio Production world is that For a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) You need Intel. Then they site arcane truth's from literally almost 2 decades ago now, that the latency hit on an AMD System is enough to cause problems and you will lessen your Headaches with Intel. This absolutely used to be 100 Percent True, but as bad as FX Chips were, much of those issues were solved by that time, and Now in a Lot of cases AMD Chips perform better than their Intel Counterparts at the Same Price Point, and at the very least their is no noticeable difference. Obviously you can Benchmark specific tasks and One or the Other will come out the winner, but the differences now are extremely negligible when we are talking about the experience of the Engineer/Producer, and there are benefits to having more raw Processing Power when running Sessions that Span Multiple Programs. Anyways, all this is to say, the One concern left that I still often hear from potential clients when pitching them a Ryzen CPU for their New DAW, is that Pro Tools only officially supports Intel, so why would they want AMD? And unfortunately this is 100 Percent True, but only because AMD has not yet paid for the Certification and put in the Resources necessary to have Avid do the testing needed for them to officially support them, not because Pro Tools doesn't work on Ryzen (it works Great!) So I am hoping this finally changes this next generation.

Also regarding your Statement that PBO Offers All Core Performance Increase, that is HIGHLY Variable and definitely not the case in every system. As someone who tests literally dozens of these chips and validates them for specific workloads I can tell you first hand that even the Same Exact Chip put into a Different Motherboard of the Same SKU all all other settings being the exact same can have sometimes wildly different Boosting Behavior. Its the nature of the beast with the way these CPU's were designed, and its definitely not a bad thing, but its extremely hard to definitely state with any accuracy that PBO will or will not Give you Performance benefits in a multithreaded workload VS an All Core overclock in every scenario, just like someone can not definitively state the opposite and have that statement be accurate.

I can tell you that because of the nature and variability of PBO that it will often be much less of a headache and give you More Consistent and expected performance if you were to go the All Core Route across multiple scenarios, and thats just because the variability characteristics of PBO disappear when you disable it and set the Multiplier and Voltage yourself. Now some situations you will find if you take the time that PBO will net you Performance Gains, but if you do further testing you will also find that this performance will not be consistent if you are an in environment that has a variable ambient temperature, and if you are the type of person who shuts down their PC when they are done using it, and you turn it on twice in one day to do some performance testing, and the first time your Ambient temperature was 23c, and the second time your ambient temperature was 29c, you will find that your Max Boost behavior changed, even if the second time after your PC Booted up Your Air Conditioner kicked on and brought you back down to 23c, your Max Clock still will not often be the same as it would be if you rebooted, with that ambient Temperature.

These are the crazy characteristics of AMD's PBO, and whats even more maddening is this doesn't happen every single time, as there appears to be another variable that I haven't nailed down yet in that situation, but it is something that is likely to happen, and yet another reason why for a more number of people who are looking for consistent strong All Core Performance, its often a good idea to go for an all core OC.

Jesus I type too much.

Anyways, everything else you said I 100 Percent co-sign. Bigger Cooler the Better in general, although there are a few other things to consider, but I have already typed enough so I will go into those some other time. And Yup, as I was saying in my previous Post, definitely want B-Die, although I know OP Does not know what B-Die or D-Die, or Rev E is, so I just explained the exact Kit to look for, which coincidentally would end up being B-Die, which will give you the best performance, not only with Ryzen, but also with your DAE. I am going to shut up now.

-MattTheTech

DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Audio
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
Other
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 05-20-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in