First Build in 10 years, First AMD CPU since the 1990s and First overlclock in forever (advice please :) ) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

First Build in 10 years, First AMD CPU since the 1990s and First overlclock in forever (advice please :) )

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
First Build in 10 years, First AMD CPU since the 1990s and First overlclock in forever (advice please :) )

Hi All,

First post so hopefully this is in the right place.

As the title suggests, ive just finished my 3900x build. Its the first PC ive built for 10 years as i went the pre built route for last 2 PCs, last time i used an AMD CPU was a K6-2 400 back in the 90s (iirc) and the last time i did any real overclocking was on a 266mhz Celeron that everyone was bumping to 400mhz at the time... that gives you an idea of my age

Anyway, i did my research, understand the dangers and have got my PC to a state where its stable, fast and Im ok with the risk/reward ratio but still feel I may have missed something being a noob to all this.

Im looking to run the below details 24/7 and my PC is used for Gaming, Photo and video editing as well ask the occasional bit of real work (Office 365 etc).

System is as follows;

Ryzen 3900x
Asrock Taichi x570
32gb (2x16g) Crucial Ballistix 3600 ram
Corsair h115i Platinum AIO
2 x 1TB Sabrent Rocket PCI-E Gen 4 Nvme drives (1 x boot/applications, 1 x most played games)
2TB Crucial MX500 SSD 'Steam library'
Corsair 750rmx PSU
EVGA 1080Ti FTW ICX (carry over from my last PC as waiting on next-gen)

Settings/overclock wise I've got the Ram running at 3800mhz coupled with 1900 IF. Timings are 16-16-19-16-36 @ 1.44v (as per DRAM calc for Ryzens settings).

SOC is at 1.1v, VDDP at 1.0v and VDDG at 0.9v

CPU I have an all-core overclock of 4.4ghz @ 1.325v LLC 2 set in the BIOS (anything lower than LLC 2 needed at least 1.35v to be stable).
Ryzen master says I'm at 1.325v, however, CPUID shows 1.328v and bumps up to 1.344v under max load (R20/Prime) which i guess is the LLC kicking in?
Temps wise I see idles around the mid-30s, gaming around low 60s and R20 high 60s, occasionally creeping into the low 70s. Prime 95 after about 20 mins gets to mid-70s. I have seen one core fail at around 30 mins but I'm not too worried about that. I've not seen any unstable behaviors anywhere else.

Performance-wise I see improvements over PBO and stock. With PBO I was seeing split seconds up to 4.575ghz on one core and a couple more on that CCX getting to 4.5, however in the main they mostly hovered around 4.35 at best. I did follow the guidance on tweaking PBO through PPT/TDC/EDC and did see improvements but still below that of the all core O/C.

I get the same single-core result in R20 (509) with the all-core clock as I do with Auto/PBO and see a jump from 7196 to 7750 on multicore.
FarCry 5 renders about 200 more frames with the all-core clock in the benchmark with the average FPS going from 109 to 111 at 1440p maxed out/hi-def texture pack. World of Warcraft seems to have 5-10 more FPS standing around in Boralus Harbour with the multi core overclock but this is hard to verify of course.

So generally very happy with my first AMD build and overclock of this century , im even pleased with my cable management in the Fractal Meshify S2, that was so much nicer to build in that my last one ..but still nags me that its all gone too well so I may be missing something or misunderstood something.
I know some may consider the Vcore a little high, especially when the LLC kicks in, but as I said I'm happy with the risk vs reward as I always like to get the best out of things but i acknowledge im new to this platform so willing to listen to anyone that thinks I'm pushing it too hard for 24/7.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Last edited by Mark Somerville; 05-17-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 01:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 136)
Be careful with voltage and more importantly current. There have been examples of people having premature CPU degradation, even at 1.325v.

The best advice I have found is to set the CPU to stock and monitor the CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) value in HWInfo while running something like Prime 95, then set your manual overclock to use that reported voltage at the absolute most (including any overvoltage from LLC).

Even doing this, I get higher power consumption at a given clock/load when using a static OC.

HP-UX. I came, I saw, I was sad it would not run on my X86 box.
skull.gif [Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club skull.gif
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks I'll give that a go. I do have it in my head that I was seeing the Core voltage up at 1.4v++ and even getting close to 1.5v using stock settings (or maybe that was PBO) , but worth a look.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 01:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Mark Somerville View Post
Thanks I'll give that a go. I do have it in my head that I was seeing the Core voltage up at 1.4v++ and even getting close to 1.5v using stock settings (or maybe that was PBO) , but worth a look.

Cheers
Stock settings will hit 1.45v with light load, that voltage is unsafe at higher current and temps. You have to get the voltage value under absolute max load to see where the full load voltage is, and then use that.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok, 2 grabs attached , the first is when using the settings detailed in the first post, the 2nd is using UEFI defaults, touching nothing, not even XMP.

This was both after R20 had been running on a loop for about 3 mins.

So my simple brain looks at that at says, aha youre actually using a lower Vcore on your overclock so thats good.. but that cant be right can it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture with all core OC.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	346894  

Name:	Capture stock.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	346896  

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 01:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

AFAIK there are a whole crapload of things that manual overclocking bypasses. Notice that core power is up even though you are at a lower effective voltage and only slightly higher clocks. Also look at the EDC amperage that is getting reported.

I would say that if you are under 1.3v @ P95 load you should be good. I have settled at ~1.28v under load @ 4200mhz on my R5 3600. However, I only activate that profile when I absolutely need or want the extra performance. The percentage difference from stock to a maxed all core OC is tiny, even in MT workloads (CB R15 1500 vs 1600).

Last edited by KarathKasun; 05-17-2020 at 02:04 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok couple more grabs, with Prime running large FFTs for 10 mins. Again the first one at Stock bios settings, the 2nd with my all bios settings applied.
Stock i saw the SVI2 TFN hit between 1.325 and 1.344v , the all core/memory/IF overclock around 1.25 to 1.275.

The overclock looks to pull more wattage and generate quite a bit more heat but thats to be expected with all 24 threads at 4.4ghz being hammered with large FFTs isnt it?

..can you tell im just hoping you will say 'actually thats ok, youre good for 24/7 on that' .. so i can be done and get on with playing Anno
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prime @ Stock.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	346898  

Name:	all core OC prime.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	346900  

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 06:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

By default the CPU is twiddling clocks when waiting on memory accesses and so-forth, so thats likely where the wattage upswing is from.

You are likely good at what you have now, Zen 2 is just a bit of a different animal when it comes to clocks and volts. The SMU (at stock) is doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes that you will never see because its happening at timescales that monitoring software simply cant keep up with. Add that to the fact that the chips are being run so close to the reliability limit at stock and that the 7nm node is so small that electromigration and oxide breakdown happen much easier and you get to the point where OC reliability is a very real concern while also being a bit of an unknown regardless of how tame the OC seems.

Last edited by KarathKasun; 05-17-2020 at 06:58 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 07:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Your ram is fine, mclk fckl 1900 1:1 is great. Timings look but I'd tight a bit as you are only 1.44v for instance. I'd just make sure it's stable, hci, karhu, etc before trying to tighten it.

Any particular reason for you to run VDDG at 0.900 instead of default 0.950? I'd leave default as you are running IF of 1900.

Only advice I'd say is, set the CPU to stock full auto and pbo etc off, it just does not work, in any board. Don't worry about high voltage with light loads, that's the way it works. When under real heavy load the CPU will work with way less voltage, and clocks too (here comes in thermals too), it's normal.

Setting a fixed clock and voltage you are leaving single core performance on the table, if that's what you want with your 3900X I fully respect.

The only way to do not leave performance on the table would be matching you manual oc to near boost clock which is unrealistic. Will you notice any difference when gaming or producing something? I can't say.

I score around 522 in cb20 single also with a 3900X full auto, but I'm using a taichi x370.

Sent from Tapatalk

PCDEBAIANO
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
Taichi X370
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator 4000
Cooling
3x360mm
Case
Lian Li o11d
Monitor
HANNspree HG324
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by thomasck; 05-17-2020 at 09:14 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks Both,
Dropped back to stock aside from the mem/fclock settings and fan profiles. I dont think ive done that before as i started messing with PBO and all cores before memory.

Hitting 525 single core and 7318 multicore which isnt far off what i was getting from an all core overclock at 4.2ghz.

..think I will end the overclocking adventure there and accept that AMD knows best Im not exactly the fastest working in Premier Pro and photoshop anyway so not like split seconds lost i could have with a 4.4ghz all core clock will be the critical path for productivity.

... and i finally observed a 4600 clock speed in HWmonitor at stock which ive never seen before!

Oh and regarding the VDDG, i think i might have quoted it wrong, ive set it to what ever the Ryzen DRAM app told me to

Cheers again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture R20 at stock.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	346970  

Last edited by Mark Somerville; 05-17-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in