3600 -Settings for an old b350 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

3600 -Settings for an old b350

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
3600 -Settings for an old b350

Hello guys, i recently upgraded my 1600 to a 3600 and installed it on my old and extremely basic b350, I would like to ask you a few tips to tune my cpu correctly.

I used to run my 1600 with a huuge undervolt, around 0.9v ( was a very lucky chip ), so the first thing i tried with the 3600 is to set some negative v-core offset and start playing around.
The first think I noticed is that every time i drop my vcore, also the performane of the cpu drop, I moved from ~1559cb on R15 stock to around <1300 if i push my offset to -0.1v.
Is this a normal behaviour for a zen2 cpu or a bug with my motherboard?
I also tried to enable autoOC inside ryzenmaster buth with no difference, i may even have lost some points.

ps:Everything is up-to-date, agesa 1004.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 03:56 AM
PC Enthusiast

Rep: 31 (Unique: 31)
I have a 3600x on a x370 k7 atm. The way these new cpu's boost is very different to 1st gen, they actually need pretty much all the voltage they ask for because they always try to clock as high as they can. They also have a safety feature called clock stretching which they use to try to prevent crashes when they don't get enough voltage, that's why you're seeing lower performance (software can't see when it does this). You could try a manual oc but that will reduce lifespan of the cpu and single threaded performance compared to just letting it do what it wants on most chips. The best thing you can do for performance without having much effect on the cpu's lifespan is to tweak the timings on your ram.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by VeritronX View Post
I have a 3600x on a x370 k7 atm. The way these new cpu's boost is very different to 1st gen, they actually need pretty much all the voltage they ask for because they always try to clock as high as they can. They also have a safety feature called clock stretching which they use to try to prevent crashes when they don't get enough voltage, that's why you're seeing lower performance (software can't see when it does this). You could try a manual oc but that will reduce lifespan of the cpu and single threaded performance compared to just letting it do what it wants on most chips. The best thing you can do for performance without having much effect on the cpu's lifespan is to tweak the timings on your ram.
That's a very complete answer, thanks.
I had no idea about clock stretching, i guess i will not try to undervolt it then :c, manual oc implies loosing all the power-saving feature, voltage/freq drop in idle, etc etc right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 04:41 AM
Stock is too casual~

Rep: 109 (Unique: 58)
Depends, some boards allow to set a max CCX boost limit
you can use that , dont use PBO unless your board has AGESA 1005
The only important thing are the remain voltages, don't touch vcore unless you know your sillicon exclusive safe voltage
which is unique by sillicon

The 2nd half of this post should give you voltage presets you can follow, rulesets
https://www.overclock.net/forum/1805...l#post28424814

Only important thing on ryzen 3rd gen remains memory and the voltages around it
Lowering them, preserving good signal integrity
The cpu on it's own will boost to it's best extend
The bios under AMD Overclocking might have an option called CPPC near XFR enchancements
Find it and enable that, it will help the OS to know which cores to put to sleep and boost naturally higher

On a low end board which is not the M7,Taichi or Crosshair lineup
You want to prioritize VDDG IOD voltage on the voltage patterns
Only AGESA 1004 can split VDDG into CCD and IOD - on 1003ABBA just use the big double stepping jump for VDDG, the board and ryzen will know itself where to spend the current
These cpu's are quite automated today, and even on memory timings most is being autocorrected
Soo wrong values are hard to catch

It's quite basic, and you'll understand what i mean after reading the post
There is not much to finetune unless you know what you do, as beating the FIT module is not easy at all
= nearly always you will lose performance by going the manual by hand mode - soo let the cpu boost and do what it can do it's best
Little advice, grab the 1usmus powerplan and activate the universal powerplan
Nothing more to do~

Might want to push 24-20-24-24 CAD_BUS as entry point into memory OC
the 3rd value to 24 is important for non X570 boards
And keep an eye that enabling XMP doesn't push 60ohm procODT , it bugs out
Use the DRAM calculator for RTT, procODT and CAD_BUS settings
For the optimal voltages, you can use my linked post
Memory timings, there are two AMD memory threads here on OCN

SiSandra Inter-Core Bandwith 14nm Ryzen global #1 | Twitter
Personal Records
RAM > Viper Steel @ 3466C14 (64.2ns) & Alt | Hynix-MFR 3333CL14 (72.5ns) & Alt

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo

Last edited by Veii; 06-01-2020 at 04:46 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 06:24 AM
PC Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by Ozozuz View Post
That's a very complete answer, thanks.
I had no idea about clock stretching, i guess i will not try to undervolt it then :c, manual oc implies loosing all the power-saving feature, voltage/freq drop in idle, etc etc right?
AMD's spec calls for all power and voltage controls to be set into override mode whenever you change vcore or core multiplier settings.. so unless you have a board where the manufacturer has tried to get around amd's spec you will have a fixed voltage target at all times when you try to mess with either of those.

My K7 still has pstate settings in it but I got lucky with that and that's not to spec.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 01:16 PM
AMD OVERLOCKER

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by VeritronX View Post
Basically on my 3600x, I have tried with stock boost and different voltages and haven't seen more than 4300mhz anyway.
Shouldn't have been different maximum clocks, according to your post?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• Ryzen 3600x @4490mhz, Mugen Rev.B, v1.46, 3rd position at HWBOT
  • Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570
  • G-SkillLL F4-3200C15D-16GTZ Trident Z Series CL15 Bdies @3733 15-14-13-1T 1.46v
Official Ryzen 5 3600x Owner!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 11:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 891 (Unique: 643)
Highest undervolt i can apply on my R5 3600 paired with a B350F Strix is -0.03v. Any higher the performance or boost lowers. At -0.03v undervolt, voltage spikes goes to 1.43v instead of the usual 1.47v seen in HWINFO64.

If your 3600 is new it might be able to oc higher at lower voltage. Unless your motherboard or cpu cooler is not capable.

By Built-in Benchmark Queen:
My 2.5 years old delidded 7980xe @ 4600mhz all core with 49ns memorylatency (4000c16 twekaed) is faster than 3950x max overclocked on water in every scenario. Pretty good for a ancient cpu
In gaming it has no chance vs my new 10900k @ 5400mhz and 4600c16 tweaked memory. ~35ns memorylatency.
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
3466/14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
55/2160
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 06:44 PM
PC Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by rastaviper View Post
Basically on my 3600x, I have tried with stock boost and different voltages and haven't seen more than 4300mhz anyway.
Shouldn't have been different maximum clocks, according to your post?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Mine is a near launch 3600X, it doesn't do more than 4.2ghz with manual overclocking.. but will hit up to 4.45ghz briefly during cinebench R15 single threaded with the extra frequency thing enabled. Most of that run happens at 4.375Ghz though. I don't mess with voltages at all, I just run loadline on the 3rd highest and have soc voltage at 1.1v and ram running 3600C14 with tightened timings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in