Can a cpu undervolt affect memory stability? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Can a cpu undervolt affect memory stability?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Can a cpu undervolt affect memory stability?

I've had my TR3990x stable for sometime, with a mild negative vcore offset of -.025v. Now attempting to memory overclock from 3200mhz to 3600mhz. It seems the system is stable if I remove the negative voltage offset on the cpu. I didnt think vcore would affect the IMC. Has anybody else experienced this?

AMD Threadripper 3990x || 256GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo @ 3600mhz 18-22-22-42 || Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha || 2080TI FE || Samsung 960 Pro 1TB || Samsung 970 EVO 4TB || Evga 1200 P2 || Meshify S2 || Custom Loop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 04:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
is it black screening, blue screen, rebooting, lockup?

Are specific tasks causing the issue more often than others? Different tasks will use more cpu than others despite both showing 100% usage.

Since the IF is linked to the ram speed, I suppose there could be undervolting because there is more being processed per core and the volt drop may be worse. It could also be solved by changing LLC settings if thats the case.

I don't have one, so I have to guess.

More info would help.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 12:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
. When you overclock RAM, you alleviate a bottleneck in scenarios with a high cache miss rate (such as gaming especially). This puts further stress onto the CPU. It means that your CPU undervolt wasn't truly stable.
Now for your direct question, no, a vcore undervolt will not effect memory stability itself. That is, if your memory is truly stable after overclocked/tightened, a CPU overclock or vcore undervolt won't effect it.
Best practice in my experience is to keep CPU at stock/stable settings, overclock/tighten the ram, then once happy with the ram and verified stable (with ram tests, I prefer karhu), begin the CPU over clocking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 12:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by waltdanger View Post
. When you overclock RAM, you alleviate a bottleneck in scenarios with a high cache miss rate (such as gaming especially). This puts further stress onto the CPU. It means that your CPU undervolt wasn't truly stable.
Now for your direct question, no, a vcore undervolt will not effect memory stability itself. That is, if your memory is truly stable after overclocked/tightened, a CPU overclock or vcore undervolt won't effect it.
Best practice in my experience is to keep CPU at stock/stable settings, overclock/tighten the ram, then once happy with the ram and verified stable (with ram tests, I prefer karhu), begin the CPU over clocking.
Oh my friend, I can firmly understand your standpoint and agree with it. Have I ever done so at present is a different question. I think I've been very fortunate with my setups and as such did not need to do so, or maybe I can get more and don't even know it. Anyway, I firmly agree with what you say and it is by all means the best way to go about it.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
MSI Meg X570 Ace Bios V170
4 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ DDR4 3733 CL16
Palit Geforce RTX 2080 Ti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in