Ryzen TR 1st & 2nd Gen - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Ryzen TR 1st & 2nd Gen

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Ryzen TR 1st & 2nd Gen

Hi,

Is this below a true representation of the AMD processors 1920X, 2920X & 2970WX? - The 24_core scores seem not much more than the 12_core 1920_X - Is something missing here?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...45vs3062vs3354
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The nuts and bolts is I got this MSI X399 Carbon Pro Gaming board as I like this range of boards (eg_Z390_Gaming_Pro_Carbon_really_nice board_with_TH_header_too!)__but back to the X399 board due to technical reasons the 3rd gen TR won't work on X399 which means I'm stuck with 1st & 2nd gen TR so I got a 1920 X 12-core which is a very good chip but not as good as 3rd gen and soon to be 4th gen. The price was good too for the 1920 X.

So I looked at the 2nd gen choices and saw a 32 core which is way too expensive $1,500+ or GBP here in UK. Then there is a 24 core 2970 WX which is under 1000 but still expensive but if the performance is super-duper in comparison to the 1920 X I'd consider one but it would have to decimate the 1920 X which I thought it would due to 2 x the core count.

The graphs above show closeness, OK, this is only at a glance performance scores and may not show everything which is why I ask here from the AMD guru's about the real differences - I look as well but any comments useful - Thanks
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 08:09 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 79 (Unique: 31)
Re. the depicted benchmark is not s.th. I usually rely on, but in any case, have you considered the 2950X ? Per expanded Passmark below, and in my own experience, it is the best 'overall' CPU of the previous TR gens. The 2920X (12c/24t) and 2950X (16c/32t) are 'two chiplet, two domain' designs, while the 2970WX (24c/48t) and 2990WX (32c/64t) are 'four chiplet, four domain' designs (different than current-gen TR which have a central I/O in addition to the chiplets). This has hampered the 2970WX/2990WX in several apps, especially re. some memory intensive tasks. There were also Windows scheduler issues with the high-core count model but have since then be resolved via updates.

As to the mobo, I have both the MSI X399 Creation and MSI X399 Pro Carbon AC, the latter as 'reserve' as the machine does double-duty for work+play. While the X399 Creation has more features and a better VRM, the X399 Pro Carbon is still a really nice board - and it oc'ed just as well as the X399 Creation when I tested it out with the same CPU, RAM and GPUs. In fact, I'm tempted to put together a second TR build, with the Pro Carbon AC . Finally, I think that the improvements between, say the 1920X and 2920X or for that matter the 1950X and 2950X, while incremental, are still worth it, depending on your budget envelope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	passmarkTr2u.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	354214  

Last edited by J7SC; 06-14-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ah yes you've hit upon the crux with the negative side of 2nd gen 1st gen TR's - Two chiplet is better than 4 - And it is these "CCX" units which I don't know much about slowing things up for say home studio music use where ASIO buffers are important - There may be other areas as well that are affected.

If the price was good for a 2950 X I'd get one possibly but 4 extra cores only plus some incremental but meaningful improvements from 1st gen to 2nd gen architecture may not be enough if the price isn't right but for that to happen there needs to be availability as well which I don't think there is for the 2950 X - But I'll keep watching.

Then there are two other boards I've got, Asus X370 Crosshair VO Hero & AsRock X470 Taichi Ultimate - Both good boards - The plan here would be to wait for 4th gen then see what is new / better and get the equivalent of the 3900 X & 3950 X - And hopefully full speed RAM could be used.

1920 X on the X399 Carbon is still a decent CPU!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in