XT CPU Prices revealed - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

XT CPU Prices revealed

post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 07:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
There are people who'd happily pay more for an extra 100mhz on the 3600xt and 100mhz is a useful clockspeed bump. The 3600 at stock is gimped now like the 2600 at stock and can easily be overclocked well past the single core boost.
A 3600 overclocked is still much better value than the 3600xt but there are people who will pay more for the higher stock performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:21 PM
Avid Memer

Rep: 246 (Unique: 182)
The bump in clock speed is completely irrelevant. For a little bit more money, you get a bump in core count. If you can't afford the bump in core count, save money and get the R5 3600 instead and have ~98% of the performance for ~66% of the money.

ITX gaming system
(17 items)
CPU
i9-9900KF
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS SGX
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Case
SilverStone FTZ01-E
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Deck Legend Fire
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 500
Mousepad
HyperX Fury S Cloud9 Edition
▲ hide details ▲
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 03:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
This is kind of funny. I have a local Microcenter and they just listed the 3800xt in stock. Pricing: 3800xt $369.99 and no bundle discounts, 3900x $389.99 and $20 off when you buy an eligible motherboard, 3900xt $479.99 and $50 off when you by a mobo. So if you're building a new system the 3900x costs exactly the same as a 3800xt. Who is going to buy that chip? Microcenter has always been aggressive with pricing and do have generally great prices on all of the Ryzen processors.

The only more comical listing on their site is a i9-10900k for $599.99 w/ $20 bundle discount. No clue unless you don't do your research why anyone would go with the high-end Intel processor for that price. Only 10 cores and 20 threads.

Last edited by MikeS3000; 07-17-2020 at 03:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 03:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
They selling the same CPUs with prices from 1 year ago and without a cooler. IMO this launch was very disappointing.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 05:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 207 (Unique: 179)
The XT processors join the Ryzen 7 3800X for me in that they feel like they have little place, whereas I feel all of the other (at least starting from the 6 core/12 thread and up offerings) CPUs from both brands at least have a point. With how broad the CPU landscape is with core count variety these days, and with CPUs from both brands being clocked so close to their ceiling and have boosting methods, it almost feels like having the same CPU with different clock speeds is almost unwarranted these days, unlike when dual core and quad core CPUs were more novel and single core CPUs actually existed en masse. Back then, clock speed, cache, and FSB were all that differed really. Now, so much of that is just tied into core count differences.

Between the Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 7 3800X, the latter feels pointless. These new XT CPUs are a nice touch better than what they replace, but are made near worthless by the price. Their biggest competition is the parts they are replacing. I almost wonder if this is part AMD testing these waters or getting consumers ready for Zen 3 to be not AS good of a deal as Zen 2 was, but still better than Intel's offerings. I'm not necessarily shaming that if so, but I do wonder. It's entirely possible these are just intended to be low volume sellers for those who don't mind paying disproportionately more money for performance (after all, Intel does sell and this is largely their only advantage to AMD), and that Zen 3 will largely just slot in at Zen 2 pricing, maybe with some adjustments. In a way, it might be slight, but it could just be to squeeze Intel and generate more news and healines with extra parts before shifting to Zen 3.

Just my thoughts.

"The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of."

Last edited by Princess Garnet; 07-17-2020 at 05:20 PM.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 05:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
It largely depends on what you're doing too. These didn't gain much when fully loaded so if you're doing something that requires 3+ cores then it is indeed a very small gain. But when you're doing something that only requires 2 cores, I think that extra 300mhz that is being seen on the 3600xt would be nice.

Asus Crosshair VI Hero 370 motherboard
AMD 3600x cpu @ 4425mhz with Arctic 240 aio
Powercooler 5700XT Red Devil video
Ballistix 4x8gb ram @ 3800mhz/1900 IF
Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 ssd
Corsair 750 power supply
MSI 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 05:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 207 (Unique: 179)
Perhaps, but I've always been one to desire IPC (well, IPS more accurately) and I still think these CPUs are rather questionable. If I was that serious about it, I'd just spend a bit more for the Intel, and that's really only worth doing (in my opinion) at the higher price range and if gaming (or IPS related tasks) above all else, even to the detriment of value, is your concern.

These CPUs are really niche, and it's not helped that many of them lack included cooling. You might argue you wouldn't use them with such CPUs, but I'm using mine with my Ryzen 7 3700X until I can get the aftermarket one I'm after. It's not as preferable but it absolutely works fine. If these were $25 to $40 cheaper across the board I'd say maybe they have more of a point but even then the X variants would likely remain much better values.

"The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of."
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:25 PM
Avid Memer

Rep: 246 (Unique: 182)
These CPUs aren't questionable, they're pointless. There's no reason for them to exist. They're just binned parts that don't perform demonstrably better than the parts they're replacing. The only reason to buy any of the XT parts is to push RAM and Infinity Fabric as much as possible. But then you're gaining barely any performance over cheaper parts. If you're gaming, you might as well get an Intel part and optimize the RAM timings to get better gaming performance. The XT processors are a waste of money.

ITX gaming system
(17 items)
CPU
i9-9900KF
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS SGX
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Case
SilverStone FTZ01-E
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Deck Legend Fire
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 500
Mousepad
HyperX Fury S Cloud9 Edition
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in