3700x - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3700x

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
EJays gaming mods
 
LosHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 24
Rep: 0
3700x

i am trying to build a mid level gaming rig. i already have a gigabyte 550 chipset mobo 32 gigs of DDR4 3200 ram, a rtx2060 overclock, and a 1 tb m.2 sata, so with this stuff all used would a 3700x but a good fit as a cpu for thiis gear? thanks ahead of time and have a great one
LosHog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 12:04 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Princess Garnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,673
Rep: 207 (Unique: 179)
You sort of have two options as far as I see it (and I had this same decision to make). You're basically looking at the 3600X or 3700X, right?

The 3700X is potentially more than you need right now if you're strictly or mostly talking about gaming, and to that end I'd say the 3600X is potentially a better value, but the 3700X is still a good buy especially if you can find it relatively cheap, and it's probably got a longer life ahead of it than than the 3600X, so I'd say it depends on how long you plan on sticking with it.

Also, if you see yourself changing to Zen 3 later, you can probably save now and get a 3600X. I considered that myself since I'm wanting to look at Zen 3, but until numbers show up, I don't know whether I'm going to upgrade for sure of course, so I went with the 3700X in case I don't as it met my minimum I wanted for the next 5+ years and the 3600X did not.

Given how much RAM you have, I'm guessing you're not planning to drop that in 2 or less years time or anything? Or is simply a case where the RAM is needed even if you only stay with the platform short term, and you may considering changing in two or so years? I think it ultimately depends on how long you're looking to stick with it on which CPU of the two may server you better. Two or three years has arguments either way, five years or so and I'd say the extra cost of the 3700X is worth it. Note that I'm discounting the 3800X as it's a disproportionate buy to the 3700X and the 3900X+ aren't what I'd call "mid level". I also don't see the point in buying four core CPUs (SMT/Hyper-threading or not) in 2020 unless you're on a stricter budget.

"The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of."
Princess Garnet is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
EJays gaming mods
 
LosHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 24
Rep: 0
That’s a good way of thinking about thank you ! You been very helpful
LosHog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 12:21 PM
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,355
Rep: 60 (Unique: 54)
Yes 3700X is a great fit. It has 8 cores 16 threads just like next gen consoles so it should be able to keep up with anything next gen. The 3600X would be behind in that regard.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
UltraMega is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
EJays gaming mods
 
LosHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 24
Rep: 0
Think I will order myself one, I have a white tower 900, should make a fun build now that I’m stuck at home. Lol Being in a pandemic really sucks even if your not sick
LosHog is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 06:28 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
buddywh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 288
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
While a 6 core (3600) CPU is really is the 'sweet spot' for gaming I wouldn't underestimate the value all 8 cores/16 threads a 3700X brings even if not pegging the CPU utilization. Windows10 is optimized better than ever for multitasking and it shows with lots of nearly constant background activity going on all the time; over 100 active or intermittent apps are listed in task manager on my system. With all that going on 'more cores' seriously helps maintain a silky smooth interface whatever you're doing.

And then there are the internet browsers...whether you use Chrome, Firefox or the new Edge just open more than four or five tabs and watch your speedy system drag down slower and slower as each one demands CPU attention. If you have a tendency to do cross-referencing across multiple web pages (as I do) then you'll also appreciate having more hardware threads to keep things smooth and speedy. Of course that can demand a lot of memory but the 32 meg of memory you have will make it work so it seems sensible to have the CPU cores to go along with it.
buddywh is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 06:37 AM
Edgy & on the edge
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,310
Rep: 55 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by buddywh View Post
While a 6 core (3600) CPU is really is the 'sweet spot' for gaming I wouldn't underestimate the value all 8 cores/16 threads a 3700X brings even if not pegging the CPU utilization. Windows10 is optimized better than ever for multitasking and it shows with lots of nearly constant background activity going on all the time; over 100 active or intermittent apps are listed in task manager on my system. With all that going on 'more cores' seriously helps maintain a silky smooth interface whatever you're doing.

And then there are the internet browsers...whether you use Chrome, Firefox or the new Edge just open more than four or five tabs and watch your speedy system drag down slower and slower as each one demands CPU attention. If you have a tendency to do cross-referencing across multiple web pages (as I do) then you'll also appreciate having more hardware threads to keep things smooth and speedy. Of course that can demand a lot of memory but the 32 meg of memory you have will make it work so it seems sensible to have the CPU cores to go along with it.
Having downgraded from a 3700X to a 3600 I can tell you that there is no difference. All you need is a fast NVMe SSD and you're good even with 4 cores.

AMD Bliss
(16 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 2019PGT
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max - 1.0.0.6
GPU
ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB
RAM
2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3600C15 @3800 14-15-12-28-40 1T 1.52V
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
2x Crucial MX500 1TB
Power Supply
Super Flower Leadex II Gold 650W
Cooling
be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Case
Phanteks P350X
Monitor
ASUS VG245HE
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mousepad
Logitech G440 hardmat
Audio
Asus Cerberus
▲ hide details ▲
rares495 is online now  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 06:57 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
buddywh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 288
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by rares495 View Post
Having downgraded from a 3700X to a 3600 I can tell you that there is no difference. All you need is a fast NVMe SSD and you're good even with 4 cores.
The closest I could get was to disable two cores on my 3700x But when I did that and started using browsers in the way I tend to it mattered a lot. Flipping between pages and scrolling would stutter and scrolling hesitation degraded markedly. It could actually became quite annoying much sooner, especially when active elements s/as animated ads display. And I was doing this with an NVME system drive and data drive.

But then, it gets down a lot to how one uses their system. I tend to have two browsers (Firefox and the new Edge since some sites work better with chromium) and up to 20 tabs each at a time as I do a lot of cross-referencing. And of course always my e-mail app and then it just gets worse when I also run productivity apps (Word/Excel in particular and frequently Paint.Net too).

ADDED: when I first got it I didn't think it mattered much but then I upgraded memory from 8 to 16Gb. That opened things up a lot. I've wondered how much better still it would be with 32, and it may become necessary as MicroSoft continues to make Win10 a resource hog.

Last edited by buddywh; 07-15-2020 at 07:01 AM.
buddywh is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Edgy & on the edge
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,310
Rep: 55 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by buddywh View Post
The closest I could get was to disable two cores on my 3700x But when I did that and started using browsers in the way I tend to it mattered a lot. Flipping between pages and scrolling would stutter and scrolling hesitation degraded markedly. It could actually became quite annoying much sooner, especially when active elements s/as animated ads display. And I was doing this with an NVME system drive and data drive.

But then, it gets down a lot to how one uses their system. I tend to have two browsers (Firefox and the new Edge since some sites work better with chromium) and up to 20 tabs each at a time as I do a lot of cross-referencing. And of course always my e-mail app and then it just gets worse when I also run productivity apps (Word/Excel in particular and frequently Paint.Net too).

ADDED: when I first got it I didn't think it mattered much but then I upgraded memory from 8 to 16Gb. That opened things up a lot. I've wondered how much better still it would be with 32, and it may become necessary as MicroSoft continues to make Win10 a resource hog.
Yeah, the way you use your PC matters a lot. This 3600 is way faster than my i9-9940X/2TB NVMe work PC.

AMD Bliss
(16 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 2019PGT
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max - 1.0.0.6
GPU
ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB
RAM
2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3600C15 @3800 14-15-12-28-40 1T 1.52V
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
2x Crucial MX500 1TB
Power Supply
Super Flower Leadex II Gold 650W
Cooling
be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Case
Phanteks P350X
Monitor
ASUS VG245HE
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mousepad
Logitech G440 hardmat
Audio
Asus Cerberus
▲ hide details ▲
rares495 is online now  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 02:06 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 429
Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
3700x is a good cpu for your build, myself I'd get the 3600 and c16 3600mhz RAM instead of the 3700x with c16 3200mhz RAM.
2600ryzen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off