XP-M 2500+ Overclocking temps? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

XP-M 2500+ Overclocking temps?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 06:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 319 (Unique: 222)
hmm i think I would choose the slk200 if I were you and that delta looks very tempting ..... i might need one of those
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 806 (Unique: 414)
It may be a mistake to throw out money on new HSF right now...try pulling the side of the case, leaving the computer standing upright, and run it for a while. See what your temps are then.

Even an SLK900 with a good fan will not cool properly with no access to the cooler ambient air.

Give the open case a shot, if it significantly cools your temps, then your HSF is starving for more air. Then you can spend not to much on making that happen!

post-flame-small.gif Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be post-flame-small.gif

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
i have a xp2800 overclocked to 3200 (2100mhz o/c 2200mhz) and my sys temp runs at 35-40 and my cpu temp runs 69 on idle and up to 78c running fully cranked prorams and benchmarks can neone help with some cooling suggestions and give me an idea on normal temps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro
i have a xp2800 overclocked to 3200 (2100mhz o/c 2200mhz) and my sys temp runs at 35-40 and my cpu temp runs 69 on idle and up to 78c running fully cranked prorams and benchmarks can neone help with some cooling suggestions and give me an idea on normal temps
Start by losing the stock cooler, and getting something like what was mentioned earlier, I prefer the slk series, I run 2 slk-800's and them alone dropped 8-10c on cpu temp, then some decent case air flow.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Awesome news!!! After a lot of late nights reading review and benchmarks I think I've found the best cooler; a Thermalright SP-97 (soon to be discontinued) with a tornado 119cfm fan (56db loud but I could care less). Best part is a) I actually found it (really hard to find in stock) and b) On sale until october 14 for $49.95 CAD and the fan is $21.99 CAD. What a deal!!! These things usually go for $59.99 USD if you can even find it. Check out www.vibecomputers.com , they have limited supplies so hurry.

This thing is great at cooling because of the heatpipes it uses and its all copper and since it thermalright you know your getting a good quality product.

Now for the ****ty part(you know there had to be something). Installation is a little bit of pain. You definetely need to take out your mobo to install this sucker since it doesn't use the clips; it needs to be screwed in. Check for mobo compatibility at http://www.thermalright.com/.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Oh and Xavier I already had my system running with the side panel taken off so it was getting plenty of air flow.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 02:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 19)
the sp-97 is an awesome choice. the slk-900a was good but the reviews for the sp were phenominal! If you found one i would buy it as soon as possible. Theyare extremely hard to find since thermalright put out the xp series!

Fold for the cure....Fold for overclock.net Team #37726. Pour youself a drink FOLD!doh.gif
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 07:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
55C is already pushing it, generally you want to stay below 50
How in the hell are u guys getting things to run at over 50c?? mine locks up if i get to 48c. One thing ive noticed is my caps on my mobo start getting hot when ocing. NF&-s v2.0. I put a fan on the caps it works but not if my cpu gets over 48c

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage81
Hey all, I just recently upgraded my system to and AMD XP-M 2500+ and I've got it overclocked right now to 2.45Ghz using 213 x 11.5 @ V1.75 and it runs at about 44C at idle and 56C at full load using Prime95. I'm using a Vantec Aeroflow with a TMD fan for cooling. I've been trying to boost it up to 2.5Ghz it needs a Vcore of 1.825 to run stable but my temps are pretty high around 47.5C idle and 60.5C max. I wanted to know if this is too high of a risk for the extra 50Mhz or if 60C isn't too bad because I've heard mobiles have a higher heat rating than regular desktops. I'd much appreciate any input.
12.5 x 200
1.7v
2.5-3-3-8

try those settings i hardly get out of 50c 52 at the most

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well after anticipating this for almost a week it finally arrived my new Thermalright SP-97 and the 90mm Vantec Tornado fan. Let me tell you I was happy as hell when I opened the door and there stood the UPS man.

Anyway back to the point. I opened this sucker up and took a look at. First impression damn this thing is heavy. Its a solid heatsink with a nice smooth finish on the bottom. It comes with an X-plate for mounting as it uses the mounting holes and not the clip. Installation was pain in the ass, everything had to come out in order to install the X-plate. After about an hour everything was set(oh and I used Arctic Silver 5, not the crappy paste that comes with it).

I booted up my PC and damn my computer was sooooooo loud. That tornado fan makes my computer sound like a jet engine. But I'll deal with it, my computer was loud to start with. Anyway performance on this sucker is visible right away. My idle temps dropped from 43 to 38, sweet, and my system temp went down from 28 to 22(the tornado fan hangs over my chipset, plus I added a PCI slot exhaust fan). Currently I'm running my AMD XP-M 2500+ @ 2.2Ghz w/ 1.65Vcore.

I haven't tested it with Prime95 yet as I want the arctic silver to cure before I put it through some serious stress. I'll post an update in a few days when i do test it. ANd you can be sure that I'm going to overclock a little more out of my cpu with these temps.

So far I'm very satisfied with this heatsink and fan combo and recommend it to any heavy overclocker, as long as you don't mind the noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in