My Websites

Business: www.HBDigitalTech.com

Technology Review Website: www.TechBiteReviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 35)
I just built a computer with a 1055t 95w and I'm having issues with stability (prime95) and from what I've read here and other forums my motherboard is probably the main culprit, a Asus M4a78t-e.

I should have done my research properly but the motherboard was the first thing I bought since I was shooting for a x4 955 originally. As long as I get it rock stable at my current OC speed of 3.64 I'll be more than happy though. Would be nice to hit 4Ghz but I have no interest running it at those speeds and the relatively high power requirements for a slight boost compared to the 'sweet spot' for power per watt.

"People are stupid and half of them are stupider"

- G. Carlin

STEAM PROFILE > peremptor
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 147 (Unique: 137)
Quote:
Originally Posted by two4teezee;11688294 
Great guide... Thanks for the help! I do have a question... I've been lurking here for a while but I'm relatively new to OCing so bear with me.

I set my vCore at a certain value (1.2875) for a mild OC and I followed all the steps here. When I boot into Windows, CPU-Z indicates my voltage to be where I set it at. As soon as I boot up Prime and get the test going, the voltage jumps up to 1.34 or so. Is this normal? Id like it to stay closer to where I set it...

Everything is basically stable but I'm unsure why the voltage bumps up... If you can point me in the right direction id appreciate it!

LLC will cause the voltage to move up under load occasionally to retain stability, if LLC is disable voltage will go DOWN under load (vdroop) this is normal and you can knock your voltage down/disable LLC if that is too high a voltage for your liking.

It was good, men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peremptor;11692864 
I just built a computer with a 1055t 95w and I'm having issues with stability (prime95) and from what I've read here and other forums my motherboard is probably the main culprit, a Asus M4a78t-e.

I should have done my research properly but the motherboard was the first thing I bought since I was shooting for a x4 955 originally. As long as I get it rock stable at my current OC speed of 3.64 I'll be more than happy though. Would be nice to hit 4Ghz but I have no interest running it at those speeds and the relatively high power requirements for a slight boost compared to the 'sweet spot' for power per watt.

Sounds like the mobo AND the 8 gigs of RAM. Give your IMC a break and knock your CPU/NB voltage up a fair amount to stabilize that OC! Up to 1.35-1.37v could be needed with 8gb @1600MHz and a CPU/NB speed higher than stock.

It was good, men.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
When testing with torture test on Prime 95, do you use Small, In Place or Blend?

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht_addict;11726813 
When testing with torture test on Prime 95, do you use Small, In Place or Blend?

Blend/Small and Large just for temps (though I am water cooled and could run at 2v and never break max safe temps) Personally I think Linpack is the ultimate test of stability. Download OCCT and run Linpack for 4hrs and see who's left standing.

It was good, men.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 05:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
What I hate about AMD is the fact that they're clueless to their own specs. Now we all gotta figure it out for them. Most MB manufacturers don't know either so we got boards defaulting voltages at some insane amounts & setting their own rules and design specs to run these chips.

About to get myself an expensive i7 because the folks at Intel got their specs properly standardized.

Just kidding. Got ya.

-=-=-=-
gunner2.gifIf it isn't broken, OVERCLOCK IT!gunner.gif

Athlon X2 240 @ 4.0 ghzhttp://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=912469CPU-z was drunken.gif when I snapped this.

Athlon X4 620 @ 3.7 ghz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1050891CPU-z was drunken.gif when I snapped this.

Athlon X6 1055T @ 3.5 ghz
-=-=-=-
Always remember that we get what we paid for, that excludes Intel.

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 52)
is coretemp definitely more accurate than hwmonitor? i'm seeing an 11 degree difference between the two-hwmonitor is higher-even after applying the 10 degree temp offset in coretemp.

also, nice guide!

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch010;11812618 
is coretemp definitely more accurate than hwmonitor? i'm seeing an 11 degree difference between the two-hwmonitor is higher-even after applying the 10 degree temp offset in coretemp.

also, nice guide!

I like coretemp because you can apply offsets so simply, I think the difference is due to HWMonitor's lack of an offset adjustment if you can do that. I've always seen similar load temps with the two.

It was good, men.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 27)
Great guide.

Rep+ biggrin.gif

I am about to overclock my 1055t (PSU arrives on Monday applaud.gif).

I have a sub-par MB with 4+1 phase so I'll stick with stock voltages. I have flipped my Antec Tricool rear fan so that is shoots inside my case and made a sheet metal deflector to redirect the air flow to the Mosfet heatsink. Since I got an Antec 900, the 200mm fan at high will be plenty provide good airflow in addition to the other fans (one side and 2 front 120mm)

I will stick to stock voltage (1.28V). Q1: Do I need to force it into the BIOS or can I leave it to auto? I hope to achieve 3.5GHz with a FSB of 250 with stock NB, HT and RAM speeds.

Q2: Am I taking stupid risks? Should I forget overclocking with that board.

Please comment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in