Gigabyte 970a-UD3 - 1090T OC Voltage - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Gigabyte 970a-UD3 - 1090T OC Voltage

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hello,
I’m pretty new to the over clocking thing but from what I understand from reading and watching youtube videos it’s pretty easy with AMD black Editions. Anyway this is how I have my PC setup in the bios.

MB: Gigabyte 970a-UD3
Rev 1.0
Bios F4
Multiplier 17.5
CPU Volt: 1.425 (1.325 is Stock)
Disabled Turbo Mode

FSB 233
RAM 1864 (1866 RAM, MB sees it as 1600 stock.)
9-10-9-28
1.5V
NB Volt 1.115 (+10 over stock for RAM to work right)

I have disabled AMD Quite&Cool.
I have no issues with stability; my question is about the voltage. I have it set to 1.425 for the CPU. When I get into windows CPU-Z shows it at 1.47. Then when I run Prime95 to do a stress test it increases the Volt all the way to 1.57 which is crazy high I think. Is this normal? Or should it cap at 1.425?

The main issue that im having is cooling. I have the termaltake 760i bigwater all in one water cooling kit. I have no issues at stock clock and voltage. Idles at 19c and caps out at 51c when doing prime95. When I OC and it applies the 1.5+ volts I get up into the 70c+. I know 62 is the point your not suppose to go past for long periods at a time.

Did I miss a setting somewhere?

If you need any more info let me know.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 160 (Unique: 124)
The 1090 or any 6 core for that matter get hot real quick when overclocking.....you will probably have to add a couple fans to your rad for a push pull to see if that will help any, sounds like you have everything correct because of your stock temps. You will have to do something though because 70c will not work. Try dropping your voltage as low as you can and still stay stable, you'll want to overclock your cpu/nb also which will increase temps too.....finding the balance is in temps and performance is the key. Your 233fsb has already increased cpu/nb speeds but you can increase it's multiplier just like the cpu's....the 1090's cpu/nb will top out around 2600 to 3000 no more than 1.55v....I run mine at 1.3 and 2800 for 24/7 use, again you have to compromise performance for temps...unless of course you go full blown watercooling, but thats a whole nother can of worms biggrin.gif

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Here's some required reading to get a better idea of what you want from an overclock...written by a respected member here at OCN
http://slappablog.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/phenom-ii-am3-overclocking-essentials-guide/
http://slappablog.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/phenom-ii-imc-ram-overclocking-guide/
edit: that thermalake you have is not considered to be great at cooling, if you want to overclock much more than stock you will have to consider a better cooling setup...after all 51c at stock settings is not alot better than a stock cooler....changing the location of the rad or adding extra fans or just better fans are all options you should look into, waterblock options may also be considered...look and see what other's here have done to get better performance from it...good luck wink.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

after researching your cooling setup I see adding a fan will not be an easy thing to do. I did read where some had some success at changing fan and using a different waterblock. My guess would be the mounting and case ventilation will play a big part in its performance. Again reading what others have done on here to improve it's performance will be a great place to start. biggrin.gif

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinnocent View Post

The 1090 or any 6 core for that matter get hot real quick when overclocking.....you will probably have to add a couple fans to your rad for a push pull to see if that will help any, sounds like you have everything correct because of your stock temps. You will have to do something though because 70c will not work. Try dropping your voltage as low as you can and still stay stable, you'll want to overclock your cpu/nb also which will increase temps too.....finding the balance is in temps and performance is the key. Your 233fsb has already increased cpu/nb speeds but you can increase it's multiplier just like the cpu's....the 1090's cpu/nb will top out around 2600 to 3000 no more than 1.55v....I run mine at 1.3 and 2800 for 24/7 use, again you have to compromise performance for temps...unless of course you go full blown watercooling, but thats a whole nother can of worms biggrin.gif
Quote:

Here's some required reading to get a better idea of what you want from an overclock...written by a respected member here at OCN
http://slappablog.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/phenom-ii-am3-overclocking-essentials-guide/
http://slappablog.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/phenom-ii-imc-ram-overclocking-guide/
edit: that thermalake you have is not considered to be great at cooling, if you want to overclock much more than stock you will have to consider a better cooling setup...after all 51c at stock settings is not alot better than a stock cooler....changing the location of the rad or adding extra fans or just better fans are all options you should look into, waterblock options may also be considered...look and see what other's here have done to get better performance from it...good luck wink.gif

Thanks for the help. I knew that the 760i wasnt the greatest. But what i will do is try and Jerry rig a spare 120mm fan on the bottom side of it with zip ties lol, till i can get a better cooling system . Ill check out those articles you sent too. As much knowledge i can get the better. Never knew anything really about OCin the north-bridge. Only reason i added power to it was for the RAM, was following a how to guide from G.Skill website to get your ram at the right speed.

Again thanks for the help, got to say i love these forums!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

you did fine with uping your nb voltage to help stablize ram....I'm refering to cpu/nb...2 different things. He talks about it in the guides I sent. What it boils down to is that a properly balanced overclock will out perform a higher clocked unbalanced overclock. Welcome to the world of overclocking, to never ending education and endless hours of frustration capped off by a moment of shear joy when your overclock checks out stable and your benchmark comparison puts you in the top 15 or 20%! Welcome to OCN biggrin.gif

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:

Thanks for the link dude thumb.gif
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

after researching your cooling setup I see adding a fan will not be an easy thing to do. I did read where some had some success at changing fan and using a different waterblock. My guess would be the mounting and case ventilation will play a big part in its performance. Again reading what others have done on here to improve it's performance will be a great place to start. biggrin.gif

So i ghetto rigged my water cooling system yesterday. I ended up slapping a 120mm FAN on the bottom side of the kit to create the push pull across the rad. Dropped my temps about 12C. Not bad still not great for "water cooling" but its all good. thumb.gif

So after a bit of testing this is what i ended up with:

CPU: 3.8 GHZ
CPU Voltage: 1.35
CPU NB Freq: 2796mhz
CPU-NB Voltage: 1.325
HT Link Freq: 2330mhz
FSB: 233
RAM: 1864
RAM Voltage: 1.5
NB Voltage: 1.015

Ran prime95 for 3 hours with np.

See anything else i can improve on?

Thanks.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

sorry for my slow response....nice overclock! Not alot you can improve on there...congrats on the cooling also thumb.gif to get much more would require drastic changes in cooling setup..as in a new one wink.gif I did notice this: HT Link Freq: 2330mhz but as long as it's stable no big deal....2000 is fine for it with no gains in performance for anything over but usually instability issues when you get over....so if you do develop problems crank it down to 2000 may solve the problem. Great job...enjoy biggrin.gif

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

sorry for my slow response....nice overclock! Not alot you can improve on there...congrats on the cooling also thumb.gif to get much more would require drastic changes in cooling setup..as in a new one wink.gif I did notice this: HT Link Freq: 2330mhz but as long as it's stable no big deal....2000 is fine for it with no gains in performance for anything over but usually instability issues when you get over....so if you do develop problems crank it down to 2000 may solve the problem. Great job...enjoy biggrin.gif

All good man. Thx for the input on the HT Link Freq.

Do have a question for you. I see alot of people endorsing this CPU Cooler

I'm wondering if it would preform better than this crappy water cooler i have now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in