ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS & FX-4100 Throttling even at stock clocks - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS & FX-4100 Throttling even at stock clocks

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 161 (Unique: 152)
I can't for the life of me figure out why either. I've gone through the bios(I have the latest bios) looking for anything power related and disabled it, but I'm hoping I missed something. Temps are not an issue either, so I'm at a loss here. When I run prime95 even at stock the cpu will underclock to 3.3ghz(does the same when overclocked to 4.2+) randomly then revert to normal clocks. All cores will keep throttling and un-throttling at random intervals during the test.

I messaged Asus and this is their exact quoted response:
Quote:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Andrew and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

You will need to search a setting on a forum for a test.
If the issue remians,please contact your retailer for a replacment.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Meow!

Rep: 243 (Unique: 204)

Temp?

Advanced power management off?

~ Nothing to see here ~

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by djriful View Post

Temp?
Advanced power management off?

It gets to around 33c and start throttling. I have everything in APM turned off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Meow!

Rep: 243 (Unique: 204)

Looks like there are issue with the setting. I heard most people get it fixed by using the AMD Overdrive software or use this tool here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?277724-New-tool-AmdMsrTweaker

Did you turn off the Turbo?

~ Nothing to see here ~

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by djriful View Post

Looks like there are issue with the setting. I heard most people get it fixed by using the AMD Overdrive software or use this tool here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?277724-New-tool-AmdMsrTweaker

Did you turn off the Turbo?

Yes turbo is off, and I had seen that overdrive fix before I was just hoping I wouldn't have to deal with software based tools. Thanks for the help.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1027 (Unique: 750)

You're using a Zalman CNPS5X Performa which is a tower cooler.

That's the problem.  You have removed all VRM cooling on a limited 3+1 phase VRM system that is only ratified to run 95W processors at stock.  You are pushing the VRMs beyond their limit (they are overheating because there is NO cooling! Not airflow to redirect ANYTHING, or heatsinks), causing the processor to throttle as it is a protection feature for the VRMs.

Return to the stock cooler.

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

You're using a Zalman CNPS5X Performa which is a tower cooler.
That's the problem.  You have removed all VRM cooling on a limited 3+1 phase VRM system that is only ratified to run 95W processors at stock.  You are pushing the VRMs beyond their limit (they are overheating because there is NO cooling! Not airflow to redirect ANYTHING, or heatsinks), causing the processor to throttle as it is a protection feature for the VRMs.

Return to the stock cooler.

The board itself didn't come with any form of vrm cooling, although it stated it could support 125w processors. I was worried about that when I got the board but didn't think it would heat up that fast. I'd rather not use the stock cooler, what are your thoughts on the tiny copper vrm sinks? Are they worth the price? And if I put a fan directly above the vrms, would that make the difference that I need?

Edit: Just read your sig guide, thanks a million for the info.

Please note that my board isn't listed, it is called the M5A78L-M LX PLUS, I read somewhere that it was 4+1, but I'm really not sure. How would I go about finding this out?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 138 (Unique: 122)
The heatsinks wouldn't be a bad idea, however with no air moving over them, they would eventually heat up as well...

Zip tie a small fan facing them directly. You can do this as well as the c1 copper heatsinks, should completely solve the issue.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1027 (Unique: 750)

The claim of 125W processor support on this board is faulty.  This claim should not be trusted and there should not be 125W support on this board.

Identical boards including the M5A78L-M LX (non PLUS, but the boards VRM design are basically identical and the PLUS is a 3+1 phase) do not feature 125W support due to lack of capacity and it has been seen that when attempting to run 125W TDP processors there are problems.

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 04:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 138 (Unique: 122)
Here are a few options for you

1. Buy a new motherboard
2. This first part is not an option Run the processor at it's stock frequency and undervolt it, the nice thing about most bulldozers is even at stock volts they can reach 4.0ghz or so, so naturally you'd be stable at lower volts. Try 1.2v for 3.3ghz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in