GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4 and Samsung SM951 128GB NVMe M.2 MZHPV128HDGM Issue - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4 and Samsung SM951 128GB NVMe M.2 MZHPV128HDGM Issue

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I plugged the SM951 into a 4x PCIe slot. BIOS does not see it F2 or F3.
Windows 10 sees it but won't install to it (not bookable device).

If I install windows 10 on another drive and then clone to SM951 the bios sees it but won't boot off it even if I set as hard disk and first device in boot sequence (No boot device) when booting. When the BIOS first sees the device it thinks it is a floppy drive. This might corrupt the boot sector.

Clonezilla sees the drive and will clone it, but corrupts something on original windows 10 install and 10 will no longer boot. Also SM951 disappears from BIOS after cloning.

I did have a raid setup with 2 SSD's and when I first initialized SM951 in windows I got a Windows 10 boot device in the BIOS. (Don't know where that came from) Also UAFI device showed up in BIOS and when booting to it you can execute certain commands. Still learning.

If there was a way of forcing Windows 10 to install on the SM951 I think the BIOS would see it and could set it as first boot device. That's if it does not set it to floppy and corrupt the boot sector.

MBR vs GPT?

Trying to load some linux distros to the SM951. Is a different flavor of this board more compatible with NVMe?

Any Ideas

Otherwise I'm sort of stuck. Might have to get a AHCI SSD but most slower. (OCZ) back ordered.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

After 3 days, I found out this board not compatible with booting NVMe. At least I tried everything and scoured the internet but nothing works.

So it's get a Samsung AHCI M.2 SSD ($99) or get the GA-990FX Gaming MB $139
I'm out about the same either way, I can sell my motherboard though, so think I will order the gaming board.

Hope this might help others.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 516 (Unique: 254)
I am not really into nvme, but i 've never read of anyone being able to boot from it. Not in AM3+ at least. So before giving money for new motherboard, first make sure that you can use the nvme as bootable. Cause i don't think you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Went to a friends house that has a ASRock 970A-G/3.1 AM3/AM3+ motherboard booted windows right up from Samsung NVME in it's M.2 slot. I had a windows 10 clone on the drive also and it just worked. Sold him SSD

So I think the Gigabyte Gamer board with M.2 slot would also work. But don't quote me on that. Gigabyte's website says it's NVME compatible.

Gigabyte makes a awesome board hardware-wise, hope they update the BIOS to boot from NVME.
I ordered AHCI version of same Samsung M.2 SSD, hopefully that will work.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

AHCI does not work either, Windows 10 see's it but does not show up in BIOS F2 or F3
I'm going to sell on EBay, if your interested let me know have controller card also.

Going back to raiding 2 SSD's, Will put them on a raid controller (if it works) or they saturate the SB 950 bus otherwise, have 2 512GB drive will raid them and USB 3 Dock.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

upgrade bios

https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16870.75

Update your bios with that, and let me now if you can use NVMe M.2, if you can ill upgrade too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in