AMD Ryzen Motherboard Thread - Page 146 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AMD Ryzen Motherboard Thread

post #1451 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:23 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 730 (Unique: 342)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1452 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno1 View Post

Do any Ryzen boards support DDR3? I was thinking maybe some boards will come out during the Ryzen 5 and 3 releases that will support DDR3

The only way Ryzen could possibly use anything other than DDR4 is with an mobo onboard Mem controller and a Conversion circuit, I don't think there would be enough room for that circuit on slot convertors with current chips available. To give you an Idea of what is involved check out this link on the difference between the interfaces.

http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/5Micron.pdf?&cc=US&lc=eng

And here is some reading on chips that may be needed to build that circuit, I've just done about an hour research into this so this is just a quick look at what your getting into to add backward compatibility to the Ryzen line. But there are companies that specialize in backwards comparability so there is hope that boards may show up in the future but I would consider it low. It would be much easier if the Mem controller wasn't on die but that would be a reversal of CPU design directions for generations now.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/475f/4dd52e34e89a439f5eca925c7c24cd7392f9.pdf

Possible components

http://www.richtek.com/en/Products/Switching%20Regulators/Buck-Boost%20Converter

https://www.synopsys.com/dw/ipdir.php?ds=dwc_ddr_universal_umctl2

https://www.synopsys.com/dw/ipdir.php?ds=dwc_ddr_universal_upctl2

And gotta run, my mosfets came in for an old 7950.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #1453 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 56)
Finally got some more info from Amazon, they are now telling me the Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 will ship on the 13th arrive next Wednesday the 15th. FWIW i ordered early on Feb 22nd.

Function over Form
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1454 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampMonkey View Post

Finally got some more info from Amazon, they are now telling me the Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 will ship on the 13th arrive next Wednesday the 15th. FWIW i ordered early on Feb 22nd.

I ordered mine from a french online retailer. As soon as i saw it on their site i ordered it (even got 7% off), it shipped as soon as it was in stock a couple days later, been running it for 3-4 days now.
post #1455 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 291 (Unique: 127)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

@Sgt Bilko

This maybe helpful in OP regarding mobos with BCLK adjustment for purchasers to know, link.

Summit Ridge (Ryzen) does not allow reference clock change without an external glock generator on the motherboard. Very few PCI Express devices have issues with high reference clock and we haven't seen any data corruption. You do however need to step down to Gen 2 for really high frequencies which means you'll lose some bandwidth, but if you're using SATA devices or an M.2 drive which is not saturated by the PCIE BW you won't be affected. See the Auto rules and resulting bandwidth below.

For example an M.2 drive running at Gen 2 x4 with 140 RECLK will give you 2800MB/s of bandwidth.
post #1456 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggysilicon View Post

Pre-ordered it the 26th... not shipped yet... rolleyes.gif Not that it matters as I ordered the 1800x from Frys at 1:00am CST on the 23rd... and the status on that has never been anything but "Back-ordered" rolleyes.gif Not that either of those orders matters... as the only real video card on the market at the moment is some flavor of a 1080... not expecting anything RX Vega until mid April. So... meh?

I preordered an 1800x from newegg and got it on the third. My Trident RGB the week before. I got a new psu for the ryzen build that has duel eps on the 6th. I have everything but the mobo and it hasnt shipped. Amazons release date was the 2nd.

https://github.com/mguid65/OpenSystemBench
https://opensystembench.com
CPU
Ryzen r7 1800x
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980TI FTW
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RBG 16GB (2x8) 2400
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8) 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 evo 250gb ssd
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 750 P2
Cooling
Corsair h100i v2
Case
Corsair 700D AirFlow Edition
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Viewsonic 27 inch 4k
Audio
creative soundblaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #1457 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:22 AM
No.2 in Gaming

Rep: 79 (Unique: 58)
hello's,
theres a quad channel ddr4 kit going cheaper than normal, will this work on an amd dual channel mobo please?

CPU
AMD Ryzen™ 1700 3.75ghz
Motherboard
MSI™ X370 Gaming Pro Carbon™
GPU
MSI™ Radeon™ Vega 56 Air Boost OC
GPU
MSI™ Radeon™ Vega 56 Air Boost OC
RAM
Avexir™ Blitz™ 3200 CL16 @ 3200
Hard Drive
Seagate™ 2TB Barracuda™
Optical Drive
ASUS™ DRW-24D5MT
Power Supply
EVGA™ Supernova™ 1000 G2
Cooling
XSPC™ Raystorm™ 750 2x EX360 Radiators
Case
Coolermaster™ Cosmos Pure Black
Operating System
Windows™ 10 x64
Monitor
Electriq™ VM280UHD 4k
Keyboard
RII™ K66 Red Switch mechanical keyboard
Mouse
EasySMX™ Red Gaming mouse
Audio
Creative labs™ sb x-fi titanium
Audio
Logitech™ 540x 5.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #1458 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Meeeeeeeow!

Rep: 428 (Unique: 299)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragneel View Post

This is their marketing stuff, but I'd be lying if I said I knew what any of it meant. tongue.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

[

It means that the chokes have 60A per phase x 16 phases = 960A maximum

Actually the limit is probably 40A from the TI Mosfets = 640A

What does that mean for you? Asrock has a way overkill Mosfet. thumb.gif That's good for temperature and lifespan of the Mosfets.

As far as the PWM, that means t hat they have a digital PWM controller that controls current to the Mosfets and the CPU.

See this:
http://sinhardware.com/index.php/vrm-articles/82-vrm-guide

It is looking though that the Asrock X370 has by far the most powerful VRM on their higher end boards. It's so powerful, you could probably run 5 Ryzen CPUs without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by }SkOrPn--' View Post

Anyone read the tweaktown Ryzen+960 EVO review yet? I somehow expected NVMe to be far worse on Ryzen being all new and AMD's first. However, it wasn't all that bad at all really. Looks like it was tested on the AX370 Gaming 5 mobo too.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8073/amd-ryzen-ssd-storage-performance-preview/index.html

I actually thought it should be as good, if not better than Intel provided that the Ryzen controller was good.

This is the X370 Block Diagram:

Here is a Z270 Block Diagram

On X370 the CPU controls the M.2 board. On Z270, it has to go from the M.2 socket through the PCH to the CPU. The problem is that when it goes through, it shares the DMI 3.0 (the Z270 PCH to CPU link) with everything else connected to the PCH.
post #1459 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 730 (Unique: 342)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmor View Post

Summit Ridge (Ryzen) does not allow reference clock change without an external glock generator on the motherboard. Very few PCI Express devices have issues with high reference clock and we haven't seen any data corruption. You do however need to step down to Gen 2 for really high frequencies which means you'll lose some bandwidth, but if you're using SATA devices or an M.2 drive which is not saturated by the PCIE BW you won't be affected. See the Auto rules and resulting bandwidth below.

For example an M.2 drive running at Gen 2 x4 with 140 RECLK will give you 2800MB/s of bandwidth.

Cheers, yep posted that image/text over there earlier smile.gif , from here onwards, should have updated post here as well redface.gif .
post #1460 of 4049 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyElf View Post

It means that the chokes have 60A per phase x 16 phases = 960A maximum

Actually the limit is probably 40A from the TI Mosfets = 640A

What does that mean for you? Asrock has a way overkill Mosfet. thumb.gif That's good for temperature and lifespan of the Mosfets.

As far as the PWM, that means t hat they have a digital PWM controller that controls current to the Mosfets and the CPU.

See this:
http://sinhardware.com/index.php/vrm-articles/82-vrm-guide

It is looking though that the Asrock X370 has by far the most powerful VRM on their higher end boards. It's so powerful, you could probably run 5 Ryzen CPUs without any problems.
I actually thought it should be as good, if not better than Intel provided that the Ryzen controller was good.

This is the X370 Block Diagram:

Here is a Z270 Block Diagram

On X370 the CPU controls the M.2 board. On Z270, it has to go from the M.2 socket through the PCH to the CPU. The problem is that when it goes through, it shares the DMI 3.0 (the Z270 PCH to CPU link) with everything else connected to the PCH.

Wonderful. I was already completely set on the Taichi before launch so I guess I've made the right choice. redface.gif
Especially considering all the people apparently having problems with the CH6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in