ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 1428 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

post #14271 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R71800XSS View Post

Look at your system that is a little similar I have, I would know that max temps (ºC) you got at ilde and full, and so what is max speed at BCLK without crash/reset?
it help me much, thanks in advance.

My home office ambient temp is just a bit under 23 degrees C.

Accounting for the +20C offset the 1800X displays, I see 28 C for idle CPU temp and 69 C for load under intel burn test. I wasn't using HWINFO back then so can't give clean comparions from the past, I was using the ASUS software which is probably returning the 81 deg temp while tCL is showing 89. If this is true then I am seeing a 2-3 degree drop adding a second fan to my heatsink.
HWINFO Idle (Click to show)
HWINFO Load (Click to show)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14272 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
See my thread on GitHub here:

https://github.com/CalcProgrammer1/KeyboardVisualizer/issues/85

We've reverse engineered the Aura controller and I was able to control it from Linux on my ASUS Prime X370 Pro. It uses SMBUS which luckily Linux provides native drivers for (unlike Windows). However, the secondary channel that the Aura controller uses on the Prime is not exposed by the driver as of March, not sure if it's changed. I made a custom kernel to expose the secondary SMBUS/I2C host controller on the chipset. If you use Trident Z RGB RAM that too uses the Aura controller on SMBUS, but this time on the primary SMBUS host. I primarily develop an RGB peripheral music visualizer, but feel free to use the code and information I've created and discovered in the creation of a Linux Aura application. I might write one myself eventually (besides my visualizer) but I'm pretty busy at the moment.
post #14273 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoner View Post

Running 4 DRAM modules? I got mine working reliably at 3200 finally, and without using BCLK. Previously I was on the 1002 Bios which has cold boot issues and kept my memory from going past 2666 MHz 'out of the box'. I was able to run 2666 4x8 32GB with the rated timings (14-14-14-34). To go higher (either 2933 or 3200) the the CAS needed to be relaxed timing from 14 to 18, but the other timings still work fine at their rated speed.

I like to burn the machine with Prime95 and IntelBurnTest for a good bit and make sure its stable, as well as reduce the voltage as low as possible once I get a speed I am happy with. For this machine going lower than 1.35v will definitely will fail an endurance test, as will using a SOC of 1.05 or lower at these speeds. Also any attempt to overclock past 4Ghz fails for me during endurance testing (i.e. 4020 or 4040 multipliers or 4000 with a 1% BCLK all fail). The machine does boot easily in windows at 4.1GHz and can at least post at 4.2GHz so there might be some headroom if I feel like going crazy on the voltages and maybe more cooling, but I like where everything is at right now.

Also of interest is the little CPU benchmark tool in CPUz shows my 4.5GHz 2600k as multithread score 2225 and single thread 450, vs the 4GHz Ryzen with 4931 mt and 461 mt

Hardware Specs:
  • Ryzen 1800X
  • CH6 running the 1107 Bios
  • Lian-Li PC-9NA case
  • Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 cooler, with two fans mounted
  • 4x8 G.Skill Flare X 3200 memory, 32 GB total
  • Seasonic 650W Prime Platinum power supply
  • Samsung 960 Pro m.2 1TB SSD
  • Sapphire Nitro RX 580 LE
Bios Settings (delta vs default settings) (Click to show)
Ai Overclock Tuner [Manual]
BCLK Frequency [Auto]
BCLK_Divider [Auto]
Custom CPU Core Ratio [Manual]
> FID [200]
> DID [10]
Performance Bias [None]
Memory Frequency [DDR4-3200MHz]
Core Performance Boost [Disabled]
CPU Core Voltage [Manual mode]
- CPU Core Voltage Override [1.35000]
CPU SOC Voltage [Manual mode]
- VDDSOC Voltage Override [1.08750]
DRAM Voltage [1.35000]
DRAM CAS# Latency [18]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Read Delay [14]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Write Delay [14]
DRAM RAS# PRE Time [14]
DRAM RAS# ACT Time [34]
CPU Load-line Calibration [Level 2]
CPU VRM Switching Frequency [Manual]
CPU Voltage Frequency [500]
CPU Power Duty Control [Extreme]
CPU Power Phase Control [Extreme]
VDDSOC Phase Control [Extreme]
DRAM VBoot Voltage [1.35000]
AIDA (Click to show)
CPUz (Click to show)

Could you tell me more about this part:
CPU VRM Switching Frequency [Manual]
CPU Voltage Frequency [500]
?
I have no idea if this high or low or what a default value Looks like
Thanks smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14274 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 291 (Unique: 127)
Updated spd_check to v02, also adds spd_write application which can write a previously saved dump to the available SPD EEPROMs. Simplest seems to be to just drop the binary dump file on spd_write.exe . Same deal as before, use completely at your own risk.

spd_check_v02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post

See my thread on GitHub here:

https://github.com/CalcProgrammer1/KeyboardVisualizer/issues/85

We've reverse engineered the Aura controller and I was able to control it from Linux on my ASUS Prime X370 Pro. It uses SMBUS which luckily Linux provides native drivers for (unlike Windows). However, the secondary channel that the Aura controller uses on the Prime is not exposed by the driver as of March, not sure if it's changed. I made a custom kernel to expose the secondary SMBUS/I2C host controller on the chipset. If you use Trident Z RGB RAM that too uses the Aura controller on SMBUS, but this time on the primary SMBUS host. I primarily develop an RGB peripheral music visualizer, but feel free to use the code and information I've created and discovered in the creation of a Linux Aura application. I might write one myself eventually (besides my visualizer) but I'm pretty busy at the moment.

Very cool smile.gif Let me know if there's anything I can help you with for further development.
post #14275 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 51)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltPC View Post

"Infinity Fabric" - The global term
"Control Fabric" - The internal CCX to CCX portion
"Data Fabric" - The external Memory bus, etc. portion

And putting all this together you get "think of Infinity Fabric as AMD’s version of ‘uncore’ or ‘System Agent’ on steroids… as this is the ‘data highway’ that connects the various major system components to the CPU (including the memory controller) and the 4-core CCX blocks to each other."

So when we overclock memory "the Infinity Fabric is being overclocked right along with the memory. This however to us means that the faster the RAM the more efficient the CPU is going to be.."

Because of the more complex interplay of these elements, I basically think, it is a combination of both vCore voltage and vSOC voltage, as opposed to either one in isolation, but SOC having the predominate influence on memory overclocks..
I suspected that Vcore might play into it because of the CCX communication part. This might explain why on top of Vsoc I also need to increase Vcore if I want to combine memory OC with CPU OC. vDDP also needs an increase for the combination of both.

Lately I tried taking back a notch on memory OC and increase a notch on CPU OC in return. This seems to work better, but still isn't rock stable. I usually can do 10 loops of ITB AVX with either configuration. With a notch higher memory OC + notch lower CPU I get an ITB error somewhere within 30 loops and with a notch higher CPU OC and notch lower memory OC I get a code 8 somewhere within 30 loops. I suspect that this is less a problem of constant load, but a problem of where load drops and increase during the hash and memory allocation phases.

Curiously the BIOS chooses 2 V PLL with my OCs even while my REFCLK is only 103 MHz. That leads to a considerable increase in temperature so I manually set it back to 1.8 V. Doesn't seem to make a difference for stability of my specific OC.
post #14276 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 51)
By the way: I just had to find workaround for a X99 BIOS + NVidia issues on a Asus X99-A II. Turns out that it seems to use the same display resolution for its UEFI setup that the C6H uses. Just like on the C6H there was a lot of scrolling involved to get to the various settings.

This really is inconvenient and I wished Asus would come up with a different layout to make more use of my 30" 2560 x 1600 px display.
post #14277 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGorilla47 View Post

Things are getting even worse now.

After going yesterday back to 1002 from 1107, everything was fine ->2933CL14 @1.35V ->same settings i was using the last couple weeks.

Today i just booted with the same setup into Code 63 with the white VGA Light on sad-smiley-002.gif

So i changed my GPU from a R9 390 to a good old Geforce 210 just to check if the GPU was dead.
But the issue still persisted.
-> CMOS Clear did nothing, still Code 63 White Light or on rare occasions Code 62 (Bios 1002)

->Flashed back to 1107 and run in an instant to Code 62 on a fresh BIOS with default settings. arrowheadsmiley.png

Had to press the Safe-Boot Button 20 to 30 times (no joke!) till i could get past Code 62 on default.

Running now @default and i'm kind of scared to shut the system down.

@Raja
@elmor
Any hint what Code 63 and 62 does mean?

Running this Kit (or even 1 Ram stick) should not cause so much trouble

Sry for quoting myself, but took a closer look @ the Q-Code and it is actually b3 and b2 ! not 63 and 62 doh.gif

So the new Problem is that i stuck @ Q-Code b2

Code stays the same for:

R9 390 (fans turn on)
GT 210
and no Graphics card installed

Will try the second PCI-E Slot and a spare PSU later this day.
post #14278 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 86)
Are AGESA 1.0.0.5 and 1.0.0.6 both supposed to be coming out in May?

post #14279 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur Born View Post

I suspected that Vcore might play into it because of the CCX communication part. This might explain why on top of Vsoc I also need to increase Vcore if I want to combine memory OC with CPU OC. vDDP also needs an increase for the combination of both.

Lately I tried taking back a notch on memory OC and increase a notch on CPU OC in return. This seems to work better, but still isn't rock stable. I usually can do 10 loops of ITB AVX with either configuration. With a notch higher memory OC + notch lower CPU I get an ITB error somewhere within 30 loops and with a notch higher CPU OC and notch lower memory OC I get a code 8 somewhere within 30 loops. I suspect that this is less a problem of constant load, but a problem of where load drops and increase during the hash and memory allocation phases.

Curiously the BIOS chooses 2 V PLL with my OCs even while my REFCLK is only 103 MHz. That leads to a considerable increase in temperature so I manually set it back to 1.8 V. Doesn't seem to make a difference for stability of my specific OC.

Yes I set my PLL volts to manual as well.. smile.gif
post #14280 of 40632 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 291 (Unique: 127)
New beta BIOS 1201 . Nothing major, has a few bugfixes. Those who have keyboard issues in UEFI might be happy with this one (Logitech G510s confirmed working).

SHA256 41c58b48bccc0a060d7c8df2268be4ba16aaa24ad1d6aaa326412a9d51894f5e

Tags
Bios5 , profiles to usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in