ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 2117 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

post #21161 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mct1980 View Post

Well we have the same CPU and since 1401 the tdie and asus cpu is the same while tctl is +20c. The "correct" temps must be the tdie and asus cpu, fans also work of those temps as i don't see any of them going wild when tctl got to 100c yesterday when trying for [email protected] Even now at 3.9ghz the temps get to 72c just running the Aida stress test and this seems way to hot at 1.373v. I think the D15 was early 60c temps at the same load. If you sit at 50c tctl, well that makes me scratch the back of my head lol...

For me from day 1 and including 1401, my tctl has always shown correctly, ive not messed with miskew or wtv else, i turn off performance core boost and leave miskew and anything else related to that on auto. I idle (hot day here today at around 30-31°C with a corresponding water temp of 31°C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21162 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:49 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybotnik View Post

I have a real-world issue that has been very difficult to debug. For some reason, I have a weird frame-pacing issues in Overwatch. I have tried to figure this out for weeks now and it's driving me nuts. I can't pin down any consistent cause. I feel like it has to be related to clock skew or instability somewhere in the system that is causing things to get out of sync.

Basically, I get some weird stuttering/dropped frames, but I never see my frame rate decrease in the counter (if it does it must be for just a split second). I had been running at 3466 for a while, which was always fine at first but after an hour or so of playing, it would start stuttering, getting worse over time. I went down to 3200 with more conservative timings, but the stuttering persisted, and at 3200 it seems like it's worse right from the start.

I thought it was somehow related to SoC voltage, since increasing it would often fix the issue, but it seems like that was just a coincidence. The frame drops would always reappear eventually. Last night I was having the issue (running 3200), so tried messing with timings for a while with no luck, then I bumped my memory divider to 3333 and it went away and was gone for the few hours that I played. Probably just a coincidence though.

At 3200 I also had trouble with screen tearing, which made absolutely no sense. I have V-Sync forced ON in the nvidia control panel, G-Sync enabled, and my frame rate capped to 162 (165hz monitor). I'm not sure what could cause v-sync or g-sync to break. I'm now thinking that it's somehow related to the ram/cpu/bus clocks that seems to change on their own. Same issue persisted with Super IO Clock Skew enabled/disabled. I have HPET disabled, so I think I'll try using that next. Also, I have nothing running in the background and my power plan has CPU minimum speed set to 100% with no core parking.

For this particular game I rely on smooth and consistent frames so it's been really frustrating. I figured it could have been somehow related to my old R9 290, so I upgraded to a 1080 Ti... but it still happens. The annoying thing is that all my stress tests always pass. I can't remember the last time I failed a stress test with any of the settings I've been trying. If I can pin this down I'll be sure to mention it... Benchmarks are neat but it doesn't matter if real applications are acting up.

Hi i recomend you to use GSYNC, or use FAST VSYNC (in the 1080 you should have this option in vsync, and enable triple buffer. I think that youre calling FPS drop mean that your graphic card is just stopped without work, it could be fixed making it to work more, or using more graphic settings at max, on gsync, or making it work more with a triple buffer rendering 3 images at time, not 2 as normal Vsync.Try to do it, And if your gpu is able to work faster than yourgame need, your gsync is gonna fuk you at low demand. Dont use them together. Try something of that it can happen on games like this. You can try to making your GPU to work more on this game, use a profile to this game with more quality settings on game and on nvidia control panel with Gsync, ambient oclusion, and all the settings that you can set on quality that can low the FPS rate. The key of both is never reach 160, but never fall to less than 60, and the balance just depend of the game demand, the game settings and your card configuration.
post #21163 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 51)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noko59 View Post

Well you actually got me worried, my cpu fan went to high speed (can't help but notice that) cpu temperatures started climbing rapidly. CPU utilization was less than 10%, I had Aida OSD panel monitoring. My guess I lost the AIO pump either it was turned off or was running super slow - I did not have the AIO pump being monitored in the panel but I am now in case this happens again. Anyways I turned off the computer once temperature hit 65c from going up rapidly from around 35c.
Ryzen likes to report its temperature jump in spikes of +10 to +30°C depending on the kind of load and on the voltage. These are kind of overshots that report a higher temperature than what the CPU already reached.

Here is an example where lower total CPU load and power draw lead to higher temperature increase (+20°C spike) likely due to a specific CPU instruction set being run.

Quote:
So am I protected from CPU over temperature or not? I was in a clear case of going to a over temperature condition less than an hour ago and I do not know now.
The default Sense Skew BIOS settings will not allow your CPU to do a thermal shutdown, even when you completely disable all cooling. Instead you will likely rather run into a code 8 crash, which does not do a complete shutdown and keeps applying voltage to the CPU.

This temperature spikes may well be why Asus does the whole Sense Skew stuff to begin with. One big problem of those overshot spikes is that they can overshot X CPUs (+20°C) to throttling and even thermal shutdown territory even when the real CPU temperature isn't quite there yet.
Quote:
This whole CPU temperature deal is utterly BS, if one is given a temperature it should be the temperature and no skew added to it. If AMD wanted a tighter lower temperature profile then they should have stated that for XMP. Utter chaos that skew temperature has caused users
If you want to use skew then for X CPUs I suggest 262 - 266 MI offset to keep a high headroom for overclocking, else just turn it off and be on the safe side as far as thermal shutdown (then happening earlier) is concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21164 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:07 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

For me from day 1 and including 1401, my tctl has always shown correctly, ive not messed with miskew or wtv else, i turn off performance core boost and leave miskew and anything else related to that on auto. I idle (hot day here today at around 30-31°C with a corresponding water temp of 31°C.

You were lucky... In my case (R5 1600x) MIskew has to be enabled and offset set to 277 (after 1401), before it was @282. I find that value to be most correct, and my water temp confirms it.

post #21165 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
https://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/20650_50#post_26178558

F4-3200C15D-16GTZKW
Tried 3333 safe and doesn't boot.
Tried 3200 safe and it seems fine for a couple of cinebench, blender etc but crashes after testing more than 4-5 times, have speeds/latencies same as 3466 on auto settings.
post #21166 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 749 (Unique: 286)
People who have DRAM related issues with 1 DPC configuration could give this a shot typer.gif

1403-SP42M

- Changes: PMU I/D
- Known issues: Some incorrect diagnostic codes displayed during post (due to ABL backwards incompability)

There is really no risk of bricking the board, since C6H is equipped with on-board ISP programmer (Flashback).

If you're using 2 DPC configuration (regardless if SR or DR) stay on the official (beta) 1403 build.

Use Flashback to program the bios.

Note: This build is totally unofficial and ASUS has nothing to do with it. If you decide to try or use it, don't complain to ASUS about the issues you might or might not encounter.
post #21167 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:40 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 155 (Unique: 92)
post #21168 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:42 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 155 (Unique: 92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

People who have DRAM related issues with 1 DPC configuration could give this a shot typer.gif

1403-SP42M

- Changes: PMU I/D
- Known issues: Some incorrect diagnostic codes displayed during post (due to ABL backwards incompability)

There is really no risk of bricking the board, since C6H is equipped with on-board ISP programmer (Flashback).

If you're using 2 DPC configuration (regardless if SR or DR) stay on the official (beta) 1403 build.

Use Flashback to program the bios.

Note: This build is totally unofficial and ASUS has nothing to do with it. If you decide to try or use it, don't complain to ASUS about the issues you might or might not encounter.

Can this also fix the issue i am having with CPU overclock or is this specifically RAM related?
post #21169 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post

You were lucky... In my case (R5 1600x) MIskew has to be enabled and offset set to 277 (after 1401), before it was @282. I find that value to be most correct, and my water temp confirms it.

I don't understand how this can be different on the same CPU and same settings. Something must be really wrong. I'm gonna try setting the skew to 277 and see what that gives me aswell.
post #21170 of 40620 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 749 (Unique: 286)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Can this also fix the issue i am having with CPU overclock or is this specifically RAM related?

No.
The changes are purely DRAM related.

Tags
Bios5 , profiles to usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in