ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 2413 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

post #24121 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 12:53 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 155 (Unique: 92)
Can someone plz help me with the motherboard 4-pin pwm header? Yesterday when i tried to connect my 3 Noctua NF-F12 Industrial PPC 3 K rpm fans via an 3 way fan splitter to my CPU fan header on the motherboard and all was working well. After a few hours of gaming and other stuff the fans stopped working and the waterpump also shuts down to which my temps raised to 96 c and the PC shuts down to protect itself with code 8 on the LED display. When i restarted my PC the fans were spinning at 100% all of a sudden while i have PWM and silence mode enabled in BIOS. What could be the cause of this weird behavior? I would like to use my motherboard headers because they are PWM in order to ramp my Noctua fans down and ramp them up when needed. My fan controller is only 3-pin which is useless in my case.

Maybe @The Stilt Can look in to this plz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24122 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 12:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 51)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

After a few hours of gaming and other stuff the fans stopped working and the waterpump also shuts down to which my temps raised to 96 c and the PC shuts down to protect itself with code 8 on the LED display.
Code 8 is not a self-protection thermal shutdown, it's a CPU crash after which low voltage is still applied to the CPU. A thermal shutdown is a full shutdown with no POST code with power being turned (soft-)OFF.

And since pump-headers still can fail, here I go again @elmor: Lower the default MI Offset from 272 to something lower than 268. It's a dangerous default value even after you turned off Sense MI Skew by default.
post #24123 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:04 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 730 (Unique: 342)
Quote:

Can someone plz help me with the motherboard 4-pin pwm header? Yesterday when i tried to connect my 3 Noctua NF-F12 Industrial PPC 3 K rpm fans via an 3 way fan splitter to my CPU fan header on the motherboard and all was working well. After a few hours of gaming and other stuff the fans stopped working and the waterpump also shuts down to which my temps raised to 96 c and the PC shuts down to protect itself with code 8 on the LED display. When i restarted my PC the fans were spinning at 100% all of a sudden while i have PWM and silence mode enabled in BIOS. What could be the cause of this weird behavior? I would like to use my motherboard headers because they are PWM in order to ramp my Noctua fans down and ramp them up when needed. My fan controller is only 3-pin which is useless in my case.

Maybe @The Stilt Can look in to this plz?

I use CPU_FAN to supply PWM to a GELID 4 in 1 cable, this runs 4x ThermalRight TY-143, the cable powers fans via molex. I use PWM mode in UEFI with my own manual curve.

Then I use CHA_FAN1 in PWM mode, Turbo profile, for a Arctic Cooling F12. Next CHA_FAN3 is used for 2x Arctic Cooling F9, PWM mode, Standard profile.

So far since Mumak fixed HWiNFO back in March I have never had fans stuck high or low, etc. That was my only issue/cause and fixed via Mumak/Elmor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24124 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:09 AM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur Born View Post

Code 8 is not a self-protection thermal shutdown, it's a CPU crash after which low voltage is still applied to the CPU. A thermal shutdown is a full shutdown with no POST code with power being turned (soft-)OFF.

And since pump-headers still can fail, here I go again @elmor: Lower the default MI Offset from 272 to something lower than 268. It's a dangerous default value even after you turned off Sense MI Skew by default.

Yes it is actually. The CPU becomes unstable at 96 c which results in code 8 when it shuts down to protect itself.

My CPU overclock is rock stable in all of the tests for long period of time,and i don't mean gaming but like IBT AVX, PRime95 , AIDA64 etc.

What does this Mi skew ofset do?
post #24125 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:11 AM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

I use CPU_FAN to supply PWM to a GELID 4 in 1 cable, this runs 4x ThermalRight TY-143, the cable powers fans via molex. I use PWM mode in UEFI with my own manual curve.

Then I use CHA_FAN1 in PWM mode, Turbo profile, for a Arctic Cooling F12. Next CHA_FAN3 is used for 2x Arctic Cooling F9, PWM mode, Standard profile.

So far since Mumak fixed HWiNFO back in March I have never had fans stuck high or low, etc. That was my only issue/cause and fixed via Mumak/Elmor.

I think its HWINFO64 again just like on my other machine, i will try again with HWINFO64 disabled. If that doesn't work i probably end up buying an PROPER fan controller like the Aquacomputer Aqauero 6 pro.
post #24126 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Lol, when I started to stress my New stilt's safe ram timings with 3200mhz, at first it seemed very stable with those timings prime95 large ffts, I couldn't pass large ffts (without picking those timings) more than 10 minute or 5 minute before one core failure. With these timing at first I could stress test these over an hour without any issues at least with large ffts, but when I woke up today PC was crashed with code 8, I was like okay ?? What I've noticed with Ryzen that if I could pass particular stress test over 40min to 1.2 hour mark with no crashes (like large ffts) then I could easily run it over 10 hour no crashes.... It caught me by surprise as today when I tried to run it, first core failure happen in matter of seconds! second core fails just couple of secs after it... and one by one cores starts to crash, I Tried to blend test it and I was 20 mins away and almost all cores were failed, load was only 7% at time when I came back to my room....

I've tried to bump dram voltage from 1.4 to 1.5, tried and soc from 1.05 to 1.1, pll from 1.8 to 1.9 with no avail,

This is making me almost pop my eyes out, cores CAN't fail large ffts in matter of seconds cause I could run it over 1 to 2 hour before I fell asleep yesterday!mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

It doesn't make any frickin' sense....

Even at defaults dram timings large crashes at 3.2ghz 3ghz and maybe even 2933mhz argggh!

Can anyone help me before I explode, core overclocking was super easy compared when I started to hassle with dram overclock, I was at stable 3.9Ghz 1.36v llc3 and actually voltage were 1.33v when stressed and max temps 63c..
post #24127 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 AM
Meddling user

Quote:

I think its HWINFO64 again just like on my other machine, i will try again with HWINFO64 disabled. If that doesn't work i probably end up buying an PROPER fan controller like the Aquacomputer Aqauero 6 pro.

Only my opinion.

I have used HWINFO for days at times. Only recently I did [email protected] run on CPU/GPU with uptime of 60hrs+, 0 issues from HWINFO. Regardless of my HW/profile, if HWINFO was sending Super IO chip loopy I would have the symptoms as I have same mobo as others.

I have spent more time stress testing / tweaking / using differing CPUs and early on differing RAM with this mobo than many members that say "oh it's a crap mobo/UEFI,etc".
Quote:

My CPU overclock is rock stable in all of the tests for long period of time,and i don't mean gaming but like IBT AVX, PRime95 , AIDA64 etc.

Your long period maybe too short, may also be too low a setting, for example how your IBT AVX run was Very High (4096MB) and not high RAM set.

What was the length of time? did you do reruns?
post #24128 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 AM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

Only my opinion.

I have used HWINFO for days at times. Only recently I did [email protected] run on CPU/GPU with uptime of 60hrs+, 0 issues from HWINFO. Regardless of my HW/profile, if HWINFO was sending Super IO chip loopy I would have the symptoms as I have same mobo as others.

I have spent more time stress testing / tweaking / using differing CPUs and early on differing RAM with this mobo then many members that say "oh it's a crap mobo/UEFI,etc".
Your long period maybe too short, may also be too low a setting, for example how your IBT AVX run was Very High (4096MB) and not high RAM set.

What was the length of time? did you do reruns?

I always use HWINFO64 in the back ground because i REALLY like the program. I had this problem before on my 990FX system and an update fikst it for me.

I am not sure if its HWINFO64 or not, i need more testing for this. Maybe the EC senor is causing issues again? I disabled this sensor completely on my 990FX system as i had many problems monitoring from it and causes all kinds of problems.
post #24129 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 51)
Quote:

Yes it is actually. The CPU becomes unstable at 96 c which results in code 8 when it shuts down to protect itself.
Again, it does not shutdown, voltage is still applied. Around 0.4 to 0.5 V if I remember correctly, which corresponds to full idle voltage using the Power Saving Windows profile that made the hose explode off my AIO pump.
post #24130 of 40630 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:56 AM
Meddling user

Tags
Bios5 , profiles to usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in