ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 2458 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

post #24571 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
What error is qcode 40? happened randomly, can pass 1 week or 2, when happends.

Im on gskill 3200cl14 2x8 SR trident z rgb, is better the 9920 stilts bios for my memories? will use the old firm less vcore?

I notice a increment in vcore when pass from 9943 to 1401+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24572 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
This is why i'm still on 1401 with 3466C14 and sensible voltages.

Do I find enjoyment messing with BIOS every time something changes as some seemingly do? No.
Do I enjoy watching 4 hour stress tests completing? No.
Do I like messing with settings and having to second guess BIOS changes with no real change logs or understanding of settings? No.
Do I like using my computer having spent 2K building it? Yes.

So I'll just sit here with my feet up letting people do all of the hard work with my system having no cold boot issues, quick boot times and good performance until we finally get a BIOS or AGESA where 3600+ becomes a possibility.

Spending 3 days chasing 1-2ns for zero real world benefit is borderline lunacy, but for those that enjoy it maybe I'm the lunatic for not enjoying it smile.gif
post #24573 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post

\
here's what I would do... first find stable core settings using fully manual mode. Frankly, I see many members changing all sorts of settings that probably are unnecessary, but are more likely part of an exploratory campaign. smile.gif Once you lock down a manual OC, you can then change over to offset if you like that better. Let's stick to basics:

1) shut down and clrcmos
2) power up, F1 into bios when asked
3) AI tuner - Manual
4) CPu core ratio - 38
5) BCLk - 100
6) cpu core voltage - Manual
7) set a voltage 1.38V or so
8) SOC manual mode - 1.1V
9) LLC - Auto or 1 (3 likely adds mV under load
10) VRm spread spectrum - disabled
11) cpu power phase - optimized or extreme
12) SOC load line - 1 or auto
13) dram current - 120% (also cpu current - 120%, Auto should be fine too)

check boot priorities and F10 to save and restart. Test this for quick stability (something like R15 or IBT or your favorite, trhen restart and F2 back to bios.

ram - select one of the lower presets - like "safe 3466", then in the tweaker main menu pick 3200 from the dropdown box. set 1.375V on this page, AND set 1.375 (or 1.4V) on the external Power submenu (ant the bottom).
F10 to save and restart. - test the ram using HCi memtest or GSAT.
Right - so that is not going to cause a Q code 8.

Thank you for the only suggestions I received, however this has the same issues as before while the CPU can OC to 3.9 (without P-States) on 9920, Memory will never boot at anything other than 2133Mhz period, I assume it has to do with teh 4 16GB sticks, but then getting conformation of that is not possible so everything is a guess. No matter the settings with 1403 and 9920 using this MB and BIOS the system will not boot the memory at any speed other than 2133Mhz!

I'm forced to move back to 0083 as that was the last BIOS where I could get a decent memory speed with 2T and 3.9Ghz with P-States, my questions is what am I losing by doing so as it appears I will not be able to ever leave that version if I want memory that works on this MB. which is simply put worthless (think 4 letter words), as newer BIOS that is suppose to help with Memory speeds and stability have done neither on my system with 4 Sticks of 16GB Samsung Memory, in fact it has made everything worse, by forcing it to 2133 CAS15

While at it anyone want to recommend a new 370 series MB as I need to either get a new MB for this CPU that works with 64GB or else switch to a new platform, having gotten so badly burnt on this MB/CPU, I do not see AMB Threadripper as an option so it appears I will have to look for a 299 series MB/CPU, as I can not spend more time (averaging an hour + every day for the last two weeks fighting with BIOS and Memory, that is more time than I've gotten to use the system over that same period, I see BIOS more than Windows).

After nearly 6 months this MB/CPU still unstable (even at stock), and Memory is non-functional as are p-states (at least on 1403 and 9920), lastly it seems to be getting worse with each BIOS release not better.
ERIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24574 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

A high quality (3200MHz CL14 rated, or better) B-die based single rank kit is by far the best way (in terms of the performance and the ease of use) to go with Ryzen. B-die is the only IC currently available, which can simultaneously reach sufficiently high MEMCLKs and tight timings. In cases where 16GB RAM is simply not sufficient, I would recommend purchasing four single rank modules rather than two dual rank (16GB) modules. Due to the differences how the memory controller handles single and dual rank modules and the signaling differences between the two types of modules themselves, it is easier to get four single rank modules to work at high MEMCLKs and with tight timings. Compared to two single rank modules the performance on dual rank modules is somewhat better at the same MEMCLK, the performance advantage being roughly equal to increasing the MEMCLK ratio by one (133MHz). The same performance benefit can be acquired by using four single rank modules as well.

Between 1066 - 1333MHz (2133-2666MHz MEMCLK) the performance improvements from the increased data fabric speed are vast and totally unquestionable. At 1466MHz (2933MHz MEMCLK) the performance improvements are still there, but they are already starting to tail off. At 1600MHz (3200MHz MEMCLK) and above there are literally no data fabric related gains anymore and the only performance improvements come from the higher memory bandwidth and lower memory latency. If the CPU could hit significantly higher speeds than they currently can (> 4.5GHz), the scaling from the higher fabric speed alone might or might not continue further. At >= 3066MHz MEMCLK the fabric speed itself is not the bottle neck. Personally I would trade 3733MHz with CL16 timings to 3066MHz CL10 any day.

Samsung B-die > Hynix AFR > Hynix MFR / Micron

Of the most common DDR4 ICs Hynix MFR is the worst for Ryzen.
It can achieve lower tRCDR/W and tRP than Hynix AFR, however it cannot handle the extremely performance critical tRDRDSCL or tWRWRSCL timings < 4 CLK at 3200MHz. Both Samsung B-die and Hynix AFR can handle tRDRDSCL and tWRWRSCL 2 CLK at 3200MHz.

Also unlike Samsung B-die, neither of the Hynix ICs can handle GearDownMode = Disabled with 1T CR either.

All dual rank modules, regardless of the ICs are a major PITA to get working at high speeds. There are many reasons for that, one of them being the MEMCLK holes which occur much more often than on single rank modules.

Ok Thanks for the info ill stop making test over 3200 then, this is how i am now its based on timings you posted one time for 2r modules, i tried them many times with errors but finally i had to populate them on A1B1 to make them stable at 80 procdt, it maybe could be tightened more. Thanks for all the info. Today ill try reaching 4.0 again so maybe something change but this ram timings will be the goal again as i understand about your explanation. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #24575 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 86)
post #24576 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:01 AM
either freeze or burn

Rep: 459 (Unique: 230)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clukos View Post

Top 10 HOF, Ryzen represent biggrin.gif

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12293759

3dmark11e2pxaba.png

Very nice! Which version of the app do you have?

D I S C L A I M E R
If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
post #24577 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 86)
post #24578 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:06 AM
either freeze or burn

Rep: 459 (Unique: 230)
That certainly is a very nice run!

D I S C L A I M E R
If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
post #24579 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazama View Post

What error is qcode 40? happened randomly, can pass 1 week or 2, when happends.

Im on gskill 3200cl14 2x8 SR trident z rgb, is better the 9920 stilts bios for my memories? will use the old firm less vcore?

I notice a increment in vcore when pass from 9943 to 1401+

Q-Code 40 is normal same goes with Q-Code 24. They both not errors. "40 - OEM post memory initialization codes "
post #24580 of 43859 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 51)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur Born View Post

I just did two failed IBT AVX runs at 4.0 and 3.975 GHz, then repeated a successful run of 30 loops at 3.95 GHz using a step lower Vcore. Current settings:

Vcore +0.075 V offset LLC0
SOC 1.05 V LLC0
VRAM 1.4 V
VDDP 0.96 V (not CLPO)
ProcODT 53 Ohm

Maximum fan-speed of my AIO is 1430 rpm. I hit Tctl max = 93°C during the ITB AVX 12600 run.
I tried to lower Vcore by one step (0.06x), but that failed the IBT AVX loops. So Vcore is back up and I will try a bit more memory OC (3466-C14 failed with 9920 already).

Cold-boots were all successful since updating to 9920.

Tags
Bios5 , profiles to usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in