ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 2825 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

post #28241 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenel View Post

Hi Elmor,

one question about what you mentioned with 9920, that the features of it will make it into some official bios.
Was this with 1701 or will it be with the next one?
And is Agesa 1.0.0.7 already ready for the next bios and will it be implemented? What is the benefit of it?

A lot of questions :-)
I hope you do not mind!

Thank you very much in advance!

AGESA 1007 comes with support for Raven Ridge APUs. AMD has also changed the entire BIOS base structure so we have to do a lot of work to port everything to the new version, which may result in further bugs. The advantage is that it makes it easier to support future CPUs (Raven Ridge, Pinnacle Ridge). The cold boot fix will be implemented as soon as we have a recent AGESA version which supports it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXL View Post

Could someone please explain what “SIO” stands for and what the “SIO issue” exactly is ?

Being on bios 9920 I have some illogical fan and temps behavior and used AIDA in the past so maybe I am effected by this….

@ Elmor:
Why can’t you post more extensive structured changelogs with the new biosses? To me it seems not a big effort but I could be wrong of course.

There are some more well known bugs and it would help people in debugging if they know what is supposed to be changed and fixed.

Take official 1701, does this include:
* the (coldboot) fixes in 9920 which afaik sofar didn't make it into official bios?
* fix for Vcore value issue when booting with Offset Mode and switching to Manual Mode

And now for the new beta it would be helpful to know for sure if this is based of official 1701.

Something like:
* Based on xxxx
* Issue 1 fixed
* Issue 2 not fixed
* etc.

In this way at least we can keep track.

I'm forwarding what I'm aware of and is able to share. Sometimes there are hidden changes that comes with the new AGESA version. The SIO issue will require a future BIOS + EC + software update to completely fix it. Seems you're affected (strange temp/fan readings and behavior).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R71800XSS View Post

Many of us continue with the 1403 or the 99xx, what difference does it exist between these that in principle work almost well, and the 1701 that gives some problems?

If you're happy there, I'd stay there. There are some bugs which are not fixed, and there are minor revisions to the AGESA/PCU etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramad View Post

[/SPOILER]

I have tested the BIOS when Elmor posted it and can confirm the issue. Activating P-stats on my system will result in a base voltage (VID) of 1.2375V, adding an offset of 0.0625 (the minimum) will result in a 1.35V CPU voltage, which is much higher than what it should be so I don't recommend BIOS 0052 to anyone.

On another note, if anyone is thinking about flashing BIOS 0096 to get MBEC v.312, please don't. You will be much better served by v.310, which I have tested today. 310 is better than 312 and is more stable. This message is for those that are using/having EC1 310 running on their motherboards.

I'll look into why this is happening. What makes you say EC 0310 is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panni View Post

Hey,

I'm on a C6H, 1601/2, with a 1700, 4.1 GHz prime and AVX stable with 1.3375V.

When sending the PC to standby and waiting more than ~10 minutes, then waking it up, my multiplier is stuck at 15.5. I can then send the PC to standby again and wake it up immediately, and the multiplier is back to normal again. Has someone else noticed this?

The OC doesn't change anything, the same happens at 3.8 for example.

I'm using manual voltage mode as offset/pstate doesn't work for this CPU somehow; I've had an "older" 1700 before, which got swapped by AMD because I've had the compilation bug on linux. On the old CPU only offset+pstate worked, otherwise I'd get a stuck multiplier at 22.

Other settings (please tell me if they're stupid, most of the fixed-nearly-default settings are to test for the aforementioned bug:
1.8 PLL: 1.8V
CPU: LLC4
CPU voltage: 120%
Strap: Extreme
VTTDDR 0.693V
VDDP Standby: 0.945V
1.8V Standby: 1.81V

Thank you!

Can you add this to the bug report form? Including detailed steps and exact settings starting with a CMOS clear if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28242 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 12
I've been having a bit of fun with this board but I just can't get my head around voltage offset, so I've opted to go the usual set voltage plus LLC route, as per what my brain is used to.

It can handle my RAM pretty well, it's a 3200MHz kit (16-18-18-38), and I've been able to push it as high as 3158MHz, but as ever with the kit I bought, I think it was causing a bit of flake so I just brought it down to 2933 and tightened the timings accordingly. Even still, to get to 3.8GHz this CPU requires ~1.4v; though I can sit pretty at 3.75GHz with 1.31 so I've decided to sit there and pretend I'm happy about it.

I bought the wi-fi version of the board, and the wi-fi has been pretty strong. The drivers off the ASUS website were awful, and would drop out under heavy transfer, but the version Device Manager found for me have been rock solid.

EDIT: Timespy Extreme results http://www.3dmark.com/spy/2540168

post #28243 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post

cause fortam clears EVERYTHING not only one thing. You know windows is growing like american in mc Donald biggrin.gif
I love clean system waiting for fall big update and format it will be biggrin.gif

That is ideal but I haven't done it in 6 years because it is a freaking nightmare. I would lose all my installed programs that most I don't even have the CD/DVDs or serials for. I would lose all my browsers settings, bookmarks, ect. Would lose all customizations. It would seriously take me weeks to get back to my good old format after a reformat. That is why you just Sysprep when swapping mobos/cpus and then run DDU and CCleaner and a few other disk and reg cleaners and you are good as new. Windows 10 basically does a comlete fresh install for you every upgrade, it just keeps your programs that are installed there and working properly. No need to reformat, this isn't 2003 anymore. I've built and upgraded countless systems this way and they are all stable. Hell you can even do a registry defrag and save 348 kb, whoopee!! But seriously, until Microsoft makes a program to backup ALL your programs, setting, ect. and then format/re-install, it is absolutely not worth it. 100% stable without that headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28244 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post

@elmor I gave new bios a go and there it is all setting same as 1701 and its working same smile.gif

Only thing that STILL does not work is... CPU FAN SETTING. I can record You a video if You want but basically if i change settings in manual mode save reboot its back to sandard.... I can keep saving reseting powering down how many time i wasnt till it will revert to Stasndard.

Only option to have fan not blasting at 100% i found is to do qfan auto fan setup it changes cpu fan settings save bios reboot and it keeps settings if i touch any of those settings. And so Save and exit its back to Sandard fan and i have to do qfan again to have manual set up... SUCKS as i cant change target temperatures on CPU thats water cooled and fan is there only for VRMs....
CPU fan manual work fine here, with 9920 bios.

But I use hwinfo only, since aida will corrupt the sio?
post #28245 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 01:35 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmor View Post

AGESA 1007 comes with support for Raven Ridge APUs. AMD has also changed the entire BIOS base structure so we have to do a lot of work to port everything to the new version, which may result in further bugs. The advantage is that it makes it easier to support future CPUs (Raven Ridge, Pinnacle Ridge). The cold boot fix will be implemented as soon as we have a recent AGESA version which supports it.
I'm forwarding what I'm aware of and is able to share. Sometimes there are hidden changes that comes with the new AGESA version. The SIO issue will require a future BIOS + EC + software update to completely fix it. Seems you're affected (strange temp/fan readings and behavior).
If you're happy there, I'd stay there. There are some bugs which are not fixed, and there are minor revisions to the AGESA/PCU etc.
I'll look into why this is happening. What makes you say EC 0310 is better?
Can you add this to the bug report form? Including detailed steps and exact settings starting with a CMOS clear if possible.

Hi Jon,

You might overlooked this but i asked you a question about 0052 BIOS. Is this unofficial BIOS only fixing the temp issue or is there more to it?
Thnx.
post #28246 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 01:48 AM
AMD overclocker/engineer

Rep: 209
and again the same conversations for 3200CL18 MBEC 310 better...I can see that it is more stable at a frequency of 3466CL14 (DUALRANK) on MBEC 312

Stand#1 Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (bacth 1817) @3.8-4.3 + Liqtech 240 * MSI MEG CREATION * G.Skill [email protected] * XFX R7 370 OC * Corsair HX750i * Samsung 960 PRO * Benq BL3201PT
Stand#2 Ryzen 2700X (bacth 1805) @4.2-4.35 + NZXT Kraken x62 * MSI M7 AC * G.Skill [email protected]3733CL14 * MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X * Corsair HX750i * Samsung 970 PRO
DRAM Calculator for Ryzen™ 1.4.1 by me + TM 5 0.12 1usmus config v2 (memory test)
How to update BIOS correctly + Unlocked AMD_CBS for Ryzen motherboard
post #28247 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 02:08 AM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1usmus View Post

and again the same conversations for 3200CL18 MBEC 310 better...I can see that it is more stable at a frequency of 3466CL14 (DUALRANK) on MBEC 312

Of course it is, this has been proven a couple of weeks back lol. I don't understand why people are even reading this ramad guy's misinformation over and over again. I hope he leaves soon as he is spouting misinformation from the beginning..
post #28248 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 02:10 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6
My first PCI E slot running in PCI E 3.0 X8 mode insted of x16 and i have nothing else in any PCI E slot

AMD Master Race PC
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
RX Vega 64 Liquid
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3066MHZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
Corsair H100I
Case
Corsair 460X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus MG278Q 1440p , 144HZ FreeSync
Keyboard
Corsair K30
Mouse
Razer Deathadder 2013
Mouse
Razer SPHEX
▲ hide details ▲

post #28249 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 02:22 AM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naeem View Post

My first PCI E slot running in PCI E 3.0 X8 mode insted of x16 and i have nothing else in any PCI E slot

Weird, change it to x16 in BIOS.
post #28250 of 40022 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 02:24 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Weird, change it to x16 in BIOS.
\

how ? i have seen no option in bios to do so ?

i had 2 x card before and it was doing x8 + x4 or randomly x8 x + x2 mode now i removed one and its still x8

AMD Master Race PC
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
RX Vega 64 Liquid
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3066MHZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
Corsair H100I
Case
Corsair 460X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus MG278Q 1440p , 144HZ FreeSync
Keyboard
Corsair K30
Mouse
Razer Deathadder 2013
Mouse
Razer SPHEX
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
Bios5 , profiles to usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in