ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

post #21 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:26 PM
New to Overclock.net
muffins Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmor View Post

If you don't get any other code than 8 when attempting to power on it's not the memory.
Do you mean in general or specifically on AM4 platform? 2666 at low latency should work for Hynix but I wouldn't be so sure about higher frequency at the moment.

well so far all i've gotten has been 8 (mostly) and 51 (two - three times?) and so far at least, only when i try to set the ram to 3000mhz via ai tweaker with docp standard. when it happens its when its cycling numbers and then just hangs at those two. if i set ai tweaker to default and leave ram settings to auto, again, so far, it boosts just fine.

i'm on beta 5704 bios. first thing i did after putting everything together was update to 5704 after the first bootup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
elmor is on a distinguished road elmor is on a distinguished road elmor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins View Post

well so far all i've gotten has been 8 (mostly) and 51 (two - three times?) and so far at least, only when i try to set the ram to 3000mhz via ai tweaker with docp standard. when it happens its when its cycling numbers and then just hangs at those two. if i set ai tweaker to default and leave ram settings to auto, again, so far, it boosts just fine.

I was referring to Sgt Bilko's situation.

In your case it seems indeed like unstable DRAM. Are they 2x8GB or 2x16GB sticks? Which bios are you on? Can you try manually setting timings to 16-16-16-16-38 and then try DRAM ratios in steps starting with 2400?
post #23 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 PM
New to Overclock.net
muffins Level 1

Quote:

I was referring to Sgt Bilko's situation.

In your case it seems indeed like unstable DRAM. Are they 2x8GB or 2x16GB sticks? Which bios are you on? Can you try manually setting timings to 16-16-16-16-38 and then try DRAM ratios in steps starting with 2400?

its 2x16gb sticks of corsair vengeance led 3000mhz cas 15 and beta bios 5704. i haven't tried to manually set. been scared honestly lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
elmor is on a distinguished road elmor is on a distinguished road elmor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins View Post

its 2x16gb sticks of corsair vengeance led 3000mhz cas 15 and beta bios 5704. i haven't tried to manually set. been scared honestly lol.

As in the initial post 2x16GB is troublesome. And you definitely should update to 5803 if you want things to work smoother without manual tuning.
post #25 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 PM
New to Overclock.net
muffins Level 1

Quote:

As in the initial post 2x16GB is troublesome. And you definitely should update to 5803 if you want things to work smoother without manual tuning.
i'll give 5803 a try once i finish setting up windows. thumb.gif though wonder why asus hasn't updated the download page to show 5803.
post #26 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 PM
either freeze or burn
mus1mus is on a distinguished road mus1mus is on a distinguished road mus1mus is on a distinguished road mus1mus is on a distinguished road mus1mus is on a distinguished road

Beta state. smile.gif

D I S C L A I M E R
If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
post #27 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 AM
New to Overclock.net
Driv3l Level 1

@elmor Given the issues with the CH6, would you still recommend this board, or do you think the MSI Titanium or Gigabyte Gaming K7 would be a better choice?
post #28 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3l View Post

@elmor Given the issues with the CH6, would you still recommend this board, or do you think the MSI Titanium or Gigabyte Gaming K7 would be a better choice?

Which issues in particular? Most stuff like SMT disable or DRAM capabilities are platform wide and not specific to the C6H.
post #29 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 01:20 AM
New to Overclock.net
Sgt Bilko is on a distinguished road Sgt Bilko is on a distinguished road Sgt Bilko is on a distinguished road Sgt Bilko is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

I just noticed them when you posted, seating was good but I've heard a little extra downward pressure on the CPU itself might help, that true?

No DMM here I'm afraid.

You shouldn't need extra pressure. Try reseating the CPU, just press lightly on the IHS while lowering the lever after seating the CPU. What about these leds, on or off?

I fixed it!

Turns out me using an EK waterblock was the problem, swapped over to a Noctua cooler and boots first time everytime, pretty sure it's something to do with the mounting hardware but I can't be sure.

AMD Community Manager for ANZ

post #30 of 40016 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 01:49 AM
New to Overclock.net
Driv3l Level 1

Quote:

Which issues in particular? Most stuff like SMT disable or DRAM capabilities are platform wide and not specific to the C6H.

Quite a few folks have been having issues getting memory to OC, and some have had problems with not being able to boot, error codes etc.

It's possible that the reason for this is due to the CH6 being a lot more popular (and selling more), so we're seeing more instances of issues with these boards than others. Most do seem to get to some point of stability, but there are definite teething pains out the box.

I guess my question is.. if not the CH6, (and knowing what you do) would you go for the MSI Titanium or the Gigabyte if having to choose between them?

Thanks.

Tags
Bios5 , profiles to usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in