ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 4196 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

post #41951 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Cinebench R20 was 4767, and i mean CORE VID voltages at the first ss, its showing to max 1.49v

And corsair icue doesnt show cpu temp package to set fan curve on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	282036  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41952 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 AM
on Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 53)
Some of you guys seem to be getting a little too worked up with regards to forum etiquette... Relax, chill... After all it is just overclocking.

Currently running/testing Ryzen 9 on CH8H/CH7H/CH6E with Flare X (B-die).
Testing Bench
(2 items)
CPU
Ryzen, Kaby Lake, Skylake, Haswell, IB-E and Vishera
Case
On a Dimastech open Bench Table
▲ hide details ▲
post #41953 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

Rep: 35 (Unique: 32)
Quote: Originally Posted by buyology View Post
Cinebench R20 was 4767, and i mean CORE VID voltages at the first ss, its showing to max 1.49v

Your core VID values are normal. the important things are cpu core voltage and of course the cpu temperature. Also, corsairs iCUE has been known to send high priority requests to the cpu, which restricts your cpu from entering a lower power state. Not sure if this has already been fixed and if you use the fixed version in that case. Just something to keep in mind if you should experience higher than normal (~40°c) idling temps.

Also, to check if your manual cpu voltages do not reduce the performance, you would have to do one run with stock voltages and one run with your custom set of 1.35v and compare the numbers yourself. And just in case you use ryzen master for this, you need to close it before running cinebench as it will reduce your score by several 100 points.

Micron E-die Memory Timings Cheat Sheet
Computer #2
(9 items)
Computer #1
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse 4GB
RAM
DDR4 2x8GB @3800MHz Micron E-die
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Case
Streacom BC1 Benchtable
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
LG 29WK600-W @30-76Hz FreeSync
CPU
Intel i5 3570k
Motherboard
Asus Z77-A
GPU
Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
RAM
DDR3 4x4GB @1600MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 120GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41954 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Takla View Post
Dude, are you dense? Do you read only half of my sentences at a time, and than your brain just shuts of from overheating or what? I am using a fixed constant cpu core voltage of 1.30v and a fixed constant core clock of 4300mhz because that gives me the best performance ON TOP of also giving me a much lower max temp AND idle temp, compared to BOTH all stock and/or pbo+auto OC. I already watched all the youtube videos about ryzen 3k (seriously, all of them). stop linking these. you are not showing me anything new.

also, overclocking per ccx is only really viable for cpu's that use more than 2 ccxes like the 3900x for example. personally, I wasn't even be able achieve a mere 25mhz more for ccx0 (core 1, 2 and 3) over the 4300 all cores so to me this is yet another worthless feature.

edit: On the toxic part; well, to me, you do not appear to read my comments properly, and just skip over them, which is quite disrespectful to begin with. So this is what you get.
Dude, chill a bit please

That being said:

From my experience, there are a couple of possibilities at play here, and you may have already addressed some or all of these (apologies, if so).

Regardless of whether you are using PBO or not, setting a fixed voltage really wrecks the ability of the CPU to do low power states. Personally, I have worked around this by applying a negative voltage offset to the CPU (as opposed to a fixed voltage, and usually around -0.075 v). I have found that higher levels of LLC on the CPU also give a little bit better range for the CPU to maintain maintain a low voltage when idle, but also get what it needs when boosted. Experimentation here is key as your mainboard and CPU will certainly react a little differently than mine. Also, in Windows, make sure you are using the 'Balanced' power plan (not the 'Ryzen Balanced' power plan if it is there), and that the CPU low is set at 5%.

This has worked for me with the Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series CPUs. Nothing I have read has lead me to believe it will be any different when I finally upgrade to the 3000 series CPUs. Also, there are a few known issues that are being addressed via AGESA and firmware updates that can have a significant impact on CPU power. Launch issues with Ryzen stuff are old hat by now. History with prior launches has shown that given a couple of months, everything should be pretty well smoothed out, followed by a much slower, periodic progressive run of firmware refinement updates.

Does the situation suck? Yes. Do AMD and their mainboard partners ever seem to learn from their past mistakes in this regard? The answer really seems to be No. Should we expect and demand better? Absolutely - but until we actually GET better, this is what we have. It is what it is...

My PC
(23 items)
CPU
Ryzen R7 2700x
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Extreme
GPU
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
RAM
Corsair CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 DDR4-3600 RAM
Hard Drive
Hitachi 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
Hard Drive
Western Digital NVMe SSD (2280)
Optical Drive
Lite-On Blu Ray Burner
Power Supply
Antec TruePower
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2 270 Pump/Res
Cooling
Koolance CPU-390C-A CPU Cooler
Cooling
Barrow Vega Reference GPU Cooler (RGB)
Cooling
2x Black Ice Nemesis 420mm Slim Radiators
Cooling
6x Corsair ML-140 Fans (No RGB)
Cooling
1x Corsair SP-120 Fan (RGB)
Cooling
Corsair Commander Pro
Case
CoolerMaster Cosmo C700P
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell P2418D 24" 1440p Monitor
Monitor
LG 37" LCD TV (720P)
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair M65 Pro
Mousepad
Corsair
Audio
Auzentech HD HomeTheater PCIe (Creative X-Fi)
▲ hide details ▲
post #41955 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by mvmiller12 View Post
Dude, chill a bit please
ok

Also, in Windows, make sure you are using the 'Balanced' power plan (not the 'Ryzen Balanced' power plan if it is there), and that the CPU low is set at 5%.
Why windows balanced over ryzen balanced? the only difference I can see is that ryzen balanced has a minimum cpu state of 0% while windows has it at 5%
Not that it would really do something with a fixed constant voltage to begin with.

And on the offset, I'm pretty sure that I tested it earlier and the voltage would still act the same just like when setting a constant voltage and this is why I sticked with the latter for now. But I'm gonna check again now, just to make sure.

Computer #2
(9 items)
Computer #1
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Case
Streacom BC1 Benchtable
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
CPU
Intel i5 3570k
Motherboard
Asus Z77-A
GPU
RAM
DDR3 4x4GB @1600MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 120GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #41956 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

ok

Why windows balanced over ryzen balanced? the only difference I can see is that ryzen balanced has a minimum cpu state of 0% while windows has it at 5%
Not that it would really do something with a fixed constant voltage to begin with.

And on the offset, I'm pretty sure that I tested it earlier and the voltage would still act the same just like when setting a constant voltage and this is why I sticked with the latter for now. But I'm gonna check again now, just to make sure.
The Ryzen Balanced plan was released by AMD as a work around for Windows scheduler issues back in the tail-end of the Ryzen 1000 series era. Sometime during the 2000 series run, the Windows Scheduler issue was fixed. The Ryzen Balanced plan can impede the Windows Scheduler fixes, and AMD has stated on their forum (don't have a link, sorry) that no one should be using it anymore with the newer releases of Windows 10. The newer releases of the AMD chipset drivers (at least, the releases from the AMD website - OEMs may vary) don't even HAVE that profile anymore.

My PC
(23 items)
CPU
Ryzen R7 2700x
Motherboard
GPU
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
RAM
Hard Drive
Hitachi 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Lite-On Blu Ray Burner
Power Supply
Antec TruePower
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Corsair Commander Pro
Case
CoolerMaster Cosmo C700P
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Monitor
LG 37" LCD TV (720P)
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair M65 Pro
Mousepad
Corsair
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #41957 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 4)
The Ryzen Balanced plan was released by AMD as a work around for Windows scheduler issues back in the tail-end of the Ryzen 1000 series era. Sometime during the 2000 series run, the Windows Scheduler issue was fixed. The Ryzen Balanced plan can impede the Windows Scheduler fixes, and AMD has stated on their forum (don't have a link, sorry) that no one should be using it anymore with the newer releases of Windows 10. The newer releases of the AMD chipset drivers (at least, the releases from the AMD website - OEMs may vary) don't even HAVE that profile anymore.
They stated to not use it with Ryzen 2000, but you should use "Ryzen balanced" with Ryzen 3000.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...3rd_gen_ryzen/

Ryzen 3700X
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Powercolor RX Vega 64 Red Devil
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200CL14 @3600CL16
Cooling
Thermalright Macho Rev. B
Case
be quiet! Dark Base 900
▲ hide details ▲
post #41958 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by buyology View Post

Your core VID values are normal. the important things are cpu core voltage and of course the cpu temperature. Also, corsairs iCUE has been known to send high priority requests to the cpu, which restricts your cpu from entering a lower power state. Not sure if this has already been fixed and if you use the fixed version in that case. Just something to keep in mind if you should experience higher than normal (~40°c) idling temps.

Also, to check if your manual cpu voltages do not reduce the performance, you would have to do one run with stock voltages and one run with your custom set of 1.35v and compare the numbers yourself. And just in case you use ryzen master for this, you need to close it before running cinebench as it will reduce your score by several 100 points.
I will try this, but auto voltage gave me scare 😕
post #41959 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

Ok I'm back from testing voltages offset. And yep, as already said, it is the same as setting a "manual" voltage on the crosshair 6 hero of mine. Always annoying to test things with these beta bios since I once again had to clear cmos to revert to defaults to boot which of course deleted my perfectly set up profile. So yeah, if you use the crosshair 6 hero and a ryzen 3000 cpu, use the manual voltage since offset is broken atm.

Computer #2
(9 items)
Computer #1
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Case
Streacom BC1 Benchtable
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
CPU
Intel i5 3570k
Motherboard
Asus Z77-A
GPU
RAM
DDR3 4x4GB @1600MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 120GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #41960 of 43363 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by TwoBeers
They stated to not use it with Ryzen 2000, but you should use "Ryzen balanced" with Ryzen 3000.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...3rd_gen_ryzen/
I stand corrected, but as of 7/18, they have this to say:

Quote: Originally Posted by AMD Rep
EDIT 7/18/19 As a temporary workaround, you can use the standard Windows Balanced plan. Edit this plan to use 85% minimum processor state, 100% maximum processor state. (Example). This will chill things out as we continue to work this issue. Your 1T and nT scores shouldn't change at all (+/- the usual run-to-run variance). This will preserve boost, retain cc6 core sleeping, preserve idle downclocking/downvolting, but make the CPU more relaxed about boosting under light loads.
Also, that same post states further up that Ryzen Balanced is not needed at all for either 1000 OR 2000 series chips, jut the 3000's...

Thanks for the link, BTW - Since AMD is responding there, I will be sure to follow it.

My PC
(23 items)
CPU
Ryzen R7 2700x
Motherboard
GPU
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
RAM
Hard Drive
Hitachi 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Lite-On Blu Ray Burner
Power Supply
Antec TruePower
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Corsair Commander Pro
Case
CoolerMaster Cosmo C700P
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Monitor
LG 37" LCD TV (720P)
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair M65 Pro
Mousepad
Corsair
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by mvmiller12; 07-20-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Tags
Bios5 , profiles to usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in