ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 4504 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #45031 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 12:53 PM
AMD Red Team FTW!
 
xzamples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,859
Rep: 324 (Unique: 232)
So another buggy BIOS release geez

xzamples is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #45032 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
leandrolnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 5
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by xzamples View Post
So another buggy BIOS release geez
Yeah, no more ASUS for me.
leandrolnh is offline  
post #45033 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
xeizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 369
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by leandrolnh View Post
Yeah, no more ASUS for me.
Thing is, the grass ain't that green on the other side if you visit those AMD motherboard threads. Asus still has the most logical and well working bios imo.

If you just wants to play bios you should really get a Intel system, much much more mature bioses(cause it's still the same CPU since 2015 just with more cores/power).

Main rig(of five)
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus X470 Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black
Case
NZXT H700 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 2004 Pro
Audio
Motu M2
▲ hide details ▲
xeizo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #45034 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:34 PM
LTSC for life crew
 
speed_demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,570
Rep: 144 (Unique: 103)
^ What he said is generally true. My MSI X470 BIOS is pretty lacking & half broken at times, and my previous ASRock AM4 board wasn't any better. ASUS has the best bios for the AM4 socket boards at least, and the Crosshair boards are the best of the bunch for enthusiast level tweaking. But in the end the Intel boards are just plain better for tweaking and tuning your system.

CPU
Ryzen 1600 AF
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spintpoint M9T 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Alienware W/Cherry MX Switches
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲


speed_demon is offline  
post #45035 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 02:16 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
CeltPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 496
Rep: 48 (Unique: 26)
Some folks just seem to want to trash the Asus bios support and releases (i.e. not posting any objective issues - but saying the bios is buggy and Asus is terrible, etc.). Fortunately most people in this thread report on actual issues when they exist, as well as the positives when they experience good results.

I got my C6H back in 2017 (ancient in PC years: 470 and 570 MB's having been released), have upgraded the CPU to a new generation, and am still updating the bios releases as they continue to come out. The overall performance and stability has improved dramatically over this time, thanks to the AMD AGESA and Asus bios iterations.

I plan on keeping this MB until a future generation of Ryzen CPU's becomes so compelling and cannot be supported by the 370 that I go for it. The first brand of MB I will consider when that happens will be Asus. I feel that they have earned my business.

Keep it up guys!

Ryze Up!
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus Crossfire VI Hero
GPU
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe MZ-V6E500BW
Hard Drive
HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W
Cooling
Corsair H110i GT with 2 x Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B14-PS
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400S PH-EC416PSTG
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
ASUS VE278
Keyboard
SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL with custom keys
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 310
Mousepad
SteelSeries QCK HEAVY
Audio
Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
Other
Noiseblocker NB-eLoop Series B12-PS 120mm PWM Bionic Loop Rotor Fan, 1500rpm, 21 dBA
Other
Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B14-PS 140mm 4Pin PWM Fan, 300-1200RPM, 83.92CFM, 24.28dBA x 2
▲ hide details ▲
CeltPC is offline  
post #45036 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 02:47 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Dr. Vodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 143
Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by CeltPC View Post
Some folks just seem to want to trash the Asus bios support and releases (i.e. not posting any objective issues - but saying the bios is buggy and Asus is terrible, etc.). Fortunately most people in this thread report on actual issues when they exist, as well as the positives when they experience good results.

I got my C6H back in 2017 (ancient in PC years: 470 and 570 MB's having been released), have upgraded the CPU to a new generation, and am still updating the bios releases as they continue to come out. The overall performance and stability has improved dramatically over this time, thanks to the AMD AGESA and Asus bios iterations.

I plan on keeping this MB until a future generation of Ryzen CPU's becomes so compelling and cannot be supported by the 370 that I go for it. The first brand of MB I will consider when that happens will be Asus. I feel that they have earned my business.

Keep it up guys!

Yep, this is the best X370 board (along with the C6E) and will always be. Besides from the early issues in 2017, it has only gotten better with time and updates.

I personally don't use sleep so these related bugs don't affect me if I were to upgrade to a third gen CPU. I don't use secure boot, CSM is too useful, so no issues there for me either in 7803.

I guess these little bugs will be squashed at some point. ASUS was the only one to get AM4 / 1st gen Ryzen mostly right and their BIOS remains one of the most logical and well laid out in the industry.

What can I say, I have gotten my money's worth out of this board (and my mid-2017 1700), and will use it until it breaks. I didn't get a dud and bought in August 2017, so skipped all the initial bad boards, so there's that.
Dr. Vodka is offline  
post #45037 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:25 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
MadSkiLLz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dr. Vodka View Post
Yep, this is the best X370 board (along with the C6E) and will always be. Besides from the early issues in 2017, it has only gotten better with time and updates.

I personally don't use sleep so these related bugs don't affect me if I were to upgrade to a third gen CPU. I don't use secure boot, CSM is too useful, so no issues there for me either in 7803.

I guess these little bugs will be squashed at some point. ASUS was the only one to get AM4 / 1st gen Ryzen mostly right and their BIOS remains one of the most logical and well laid out in the industry.

What can I say, I have gotten my money's worth out of this board (and my mid-2017 1700), and will use it until it breaks. I didn't get a dud and bought in August 2017, so skipped all the initial bad boards, so there's that.
Totally agree, I have a c6e I got used for $85 and saving up for a 3900x. If you bought the c6h/e at launch you really got your moneys worth along with 3 years of premium io features.

Well worth it if you purchased in 2017 given the fact that you ended up getting 3 generations of cpu support from 4 cores all the way up to 16.

Those complaining about bios niggles should remember Intel 115x platform didn't become 100% niggle free until 4th gen and that took 3 socket changes.



Sent from my PRA-LX2 using Tapatalk
MadSkiLLz is offline  
post #45038 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:42 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
overpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amintaio, Greece
Posts: 272
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
c/p from this forum:

BIOS works quite well in terms of per CCX overclock

SOC voltage requires a slight increase compared to earlier BIOS to maintain same clocks/profile settings

CSM is bugged and must be enabled, otherwise it won't boot.

Sleep bug - 1:2 mode IF bug exists if the computer wakes up from sleep, if the IF is over 1800mhz.

Another sleep bug - CLDO_VDDG and CLDO_VDDP completely resetting to stock voltages if IF is over 1800mhz.

One user mentioned sound distortion with onboard audio after this update

100% fan at boot with NVIDIA GPU (bug?)
Where's the csm option?

Thanks

Edit: Nvm, found it under boot option. Btw for me was enabled by default

Last edited by overpower; 06-30-2020 at 04:13 PM.
overpower is offline  
post #45039 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:46 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
xeizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 369
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by MadSkiLLz View Post
Those complaining about bios niggles should remember Intel 115x platform didn't become 100% niggle free until 4th gen and that took 3 socket changes.



Sent from my PRA-LX2 using Tapatalk
That's true, while Sandy Bridge had game changing performance there was a lot of drama with buggy chipsets and hardware that sometimes didn't work. Videocards needed new vgabioses, a lot of boards was bricked when updating bioses etc Ivy Bridge worked better and Haswell was pretty troublefree, but Skylake was a big enough change that the bioses was very buggy for a long time. And all the security breaches.
Now since Skylake it's been the same arch for five years, most bugs have been taken care of by now. Expect Rocket Lake to be more ... Rocky .. and Alder Lake even more so with several new interfaces, new node, and Big.little.

Main rig(of five)
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus X470 Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black
Case
NZXT H700 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 2004 Pro
Audio
Motu M2
▲ hide details ▲
xeizo is offline  
post #45040 of 45102 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
oile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRic89 View Post
Same here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turing nvidia gpu? I didn't have this problem with 1080, only with 2070 s
oile is offline  
Reply

Tags
Bios5 , profiles to usb

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off