ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 509 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

post #5081 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:18 PM
What's a computer?

Rep: 97 (Unique: 73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGorilla47 View Post

Remove the inner part of the EK rubber gasket backplate.
Does that actually do anything? it worked fine on the Prime, so I'm curious why it would cause issues here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5082 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Remove the inner part of the EK rubber gasket backplate.

So funny how people are suggesting that lol. Im only using the center piece and have no problems.
post #5083 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 51)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalheaven View Post

@Timur Born

Do you believe the instabilities whether cpu/ram is unrelated to the SOC voltage then? Other than to boot up, it doesn't seem like SOC has much bearing on stability. You're completely stable on 0.95v SOC with 3200 right?
I wouldn't say so, it needs much more testing. Yesterday I mostly only tested stock 2166 at 0.8v/auto, ran over 6 hours of Realbench. Today I tried to crash 3200 at 0.95v SOC, but I had to invest several hours into checking PCIe enumeration (faulty for chipset connected PCIe slots).

I ran over 6 loops of ITB at stock CPU + 3200 RAM without error, now I tried the same with OC CPU and got Code 8 twice + 1 time ITB telling me of instabilities. Interestingly doing a reset after the Code 8 resulted in a Code 50, which is a memory initialization error. A subsequent Safe Boot resulted in code 0d, again memory. At that point I needed to clear CMOS both time.

Now I will do some OC CPU runs with stock RAM clocks to see how much Vcore I need for those very brutal AVX tests (Prime95 small FFT ran fine for over 2 hours before).

It's worth mentioning that booting into Windows at 3200 is not the problem for me. Cold Boot doesn't work without a Clear CMOS, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5084 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 59 (Unique: 46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker91 View Post

Nothing happens, as in exactly the same as if I had not pressed the button at all. fan's don't spin, pump doesn't start and so on... I'm thinking I might clear CMOS as a start since I haven't booted my PC since I set my memory speeds up (though they showed 0 errors after 650 coverage in HCI memtest).

Well a CMOS clear is a good start.

However, if you're getting NOTHING out of the board you should start looking into lower tier issues - the PSU, the graphics card, etc.

There have been issues reported with specific coolers, but those still report qCodes.

It's Asus C6H, not CH6; Fighting the wars that matter.
post #5085 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker91 View Post

Does that actually do anything? it worked fine on the Prime, so I'm curious why it would cause issues here.

The rubber gasket is somewhat conductive and causes a short, that prevents the C6H from doing anything beside shining
post #5086 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM
HWiNFO Author

Rep: 259 (Unique: 108)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serfeldon View Post

monitored with HWInfo 5.47 build 3116. I don't know if this version of HWInfo includes the 20C offset , but I think it was supposed to

No, that offset is available since build 3125 as a secondary sensor called "CPU (Tdie)", which is available only for CPUs that have the Tctl_offset (1700X, 1800X).

HWiNFO Author
post #5087 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 51)
By the way: Soc Auto chooses 1.050v (1.044 VDDC, 1.068 CH6 under load) when I overclock the CPU, but keep the RAM at stock 2166. This matches what I came up with manually before. Only when I run the CPU at stock does Auto choose 0.8v SOC. So there are interdependencies.
post #5088 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:

The rubber gasket is somewhat conductive and causes a short, that prevents the C6H from doing anything beside shining

Where did this false rumor start from? I'm using the center piece ONLY and it is not conductive at all. Even measured with a DMM. I wish people would stop spreading bs around and giving people false information.
post #5089 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 PM
What's a computer?

Rep: 97 (Unique: 73)
Quote:

Interesting, is it just the center that need to be removed then? if so then I'll do that before clearing CMOS, otherwise I'll have to start picking it apart directly after using hours on assembling it all.. sad-smiley-002.gif

Oh well, I'll start with taking off my CPU block.
post #5090 of 40623 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

So funny how people are suggesting that lol. Im only using the center piece and have no problems.

Yeah, maybe it's a short between the inner and outer gasket, so both removing inner or outer gasket will work.

But removing the outer gasket is kind of weird from the mounting point.

Tags
Bios5 , profiles to usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in