MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon experience - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon experience

post #21 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
How are you adjusting the timings? All of the adjustments on my bios are locked down with the exception of speed selection and xfr on or off. I have not been able to get the machine stable past 2400 mhz with bios. I have played with Command Center and Ryzen Master and been able to get CPUID to verify speeds of 2667 but all timings adjustments are locked down. Also, when i use the "wmic memorychip get speed" command it still says 1067 no matter where i have made adjustments. What is going on with memory on this motherboard?.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Shutt jr View Post

So ram on this mobo is running slow? I planned on putting 3000mhz ram in it. And hows the m2 heat? And oc
I will keep trying with the ram and let you know if I can get it running faster that 2667. I have non QVL 3000 mhz in it so we will see. As far as m2 heat goes it is a non-issue. Temp sits steady around mid 30s and I AM using the heatshield provided. So far I have gotten better results just letting the chips turbo run on auto pilot with power settings on balanced. When I go to performance the chip just sits a 3.5 and I cant oc past 3.8 without instability. Of course....I am not messing with voltages yet.

post #23 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danomanok View Post

How are you adjusting the timings? All of the adjustments on my bios are locked down with the exception of speed selection and xfr on or off. I have not been able to get the machine stable past 2400 mhz with bios. I have played with Command Center and Ryzen Master and been able to get CPUID to verify speeds of 2667 but all timings adjustments are locked down. Also, when i use the "wmic memorychip get speed" command it still says 1067 no matter where i have made adjustments. What is going on with memory on this motherboard?.

Go to the OC panel.
Set "DRAM Frequency" to whatever you want.
The next line says "Adjusted DRAM Frequency" and is just an informational field.
The line below that says "Advanced DRAM Configuration". Select it and hit Enter.
The resulting page is where you can enter timings:
tCL
tRCDRD
tRCDWR
tRP
tRAS

My experience is that the board is capable of POSTing with unstable memory settings. Before you do something like installing or running Windows, verify your memory settings are stable with multiple passes of memtest86. I've seen the first and second passes of memtest go through just fine only to have a failure on the third pass, for example.

Quote:

So ram on this mobo is running slow? I planned on putting 3000mhz ram in it. And hows the m2 heat? And oc

RAM on pretty much all of the AM4 boards is a crapshoot at the moment. Gigabyte, based upon anecdotal evidence of browsing various forums, seems to be leading the pack in terms of compatibility. The rule of thumb right now is, if you want maximum compatibility, you buy what's on the QVL list for each board and pray. The AM4 platform is immature so this is expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danomanok View Post

Exactly as msel said. I also turned on OC Expert mode after I had difficulty changing the timings.

So here is how it went and my order of operations:

In BIOS hit F7 to switch to Advanced Mode
Under OC Settings:

OC Explore Mode: Expert
A-XMP: Disabled
DRAM Freq: DDR4-2933
DRAM Voltage: 1.350 V
Advance DRAM Config: 16-18,18,18,38

To change the DRAM Voltage and Timings, you have to use the + and - keys, btw.
post #25 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msel View Post

Go to the OC panel.
The next line says "Adjusted DRAM Frequency" and is just an informational field.
The line below that says "Advanced DRAM Configuration". Select it and hit Enter.
tCL
tRCDRD
tRCDWR
tRP
tRAS

My experience is that the board is capable of POSTing with unstable memory settings. Before you do something like installing or running Windows, verify your memory settings are stable with multiple passes of memtest86. I've seen the first and second passes of memtest go through just fine only to have a failure on the third pass, for example.
RAM on pretty much all of the AM4 boards is a crapshoot at the moment. Gigabyte, based upon anecdotal evidence of browsing various forums, seems to be leading the pack in terms of compatibility. The rule of thumb right now is, if you want maximum compatibility, you buy what's on the QVL list for each board and pray. The AM4 platform is immature so this is expected.

how do i find the QVL? just on the website? also i know corsair says that Corsair Dominator Platinum is ryzen compatible
post #26 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:

Quote:

how do i find the QVL? just on the website? also i know corsair says that Corsair Dominator Platinum is ryzen compatible

Go to the website for the motherboard of your choice and the vendor will have a QVL posted somewhere.
post #27 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Quote:

Go to the website for the motherboard of your choice and the vendor will have a QVL posted somewhere.

Thanks, i found it.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#support-mem
post #28 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Don't believe Corsair. I bought the platinum 3000 mhz and it will not work at the speeds they say with this mobo. I just did what I should have done to begin with and consulted the QVL. G.Skill memory on the way. Growing pains suck.

post #29 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Go to the OC panel.
tCL
tRCDRD
tRCDWR
tRP
tRAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugz007 View Post

Exactly as msel said. I also turned on OC Expert mode after I had difficulty changing the timings.

So here is how it went and my order of operations:

In BIOS hit F7 to switch to Advanced Mode
Under OC Settings:

OC Explore Mode: Expert
A-XMP: Disabled
DRAM Freq: DDR4-2933
DRAM Voltage: 1.350 V
Advance DRAM Config: 16-18,18,18,38

To change the DRAM Voltage and Timings, you have to use the + and - keys, btw.
Thanks for the help guys but this RAM is apparently just not compatible. I tinkered with it for a few hours to no avail. Solution=buy new memory.

post #30 of 646 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:40 PM

FLARE X RAM IS UP https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=F4-3200C14D-16GFX&N=-1&isNodeId=1

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifsonic.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in