Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 Discussion - Page 361 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 Discussion

post #3601 of 3605 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 06:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Cold Boot Issue & RAM Questions

Greetings. So, I am relatively new to overclocking, and I have a few questions regarding RAM, and specifically pertaining to this motherboard. I bought two 8GBx2 DDR4 RAM kits from G.Skill (RAM is quite expensive these days, so I waited for sale discounts which is how I ended up with the two slightly different ones); one of the kits has Part Number F4-3200C14-8GTZR, and the other F4-3200C14-8GTZRX , with the "X" version only serving to designate that it is meant specifically for Ryzen CPUs as far as I can tell; however, other than that, the kits appear to be identical (see attached images below):
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap923201960342PM.png
Views:	7
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	298180Click image for larger version

Name:	snap923201960316PM.png
Views:	6
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	298182

Neither kit is on the Qualified Vendor List for this board (however, I realize these are not exhaustive lists), so my questions are as follows:

1) Does the "X" make any difference aside from a marketing perspective of indicating explicitly its compatibility with the Ryzen CPU; i.e., it should not pose an issue to pair the two kits with one another because they are essentially the same exact RAM, correct?

2) Is anyone using this RAM (Ryzen- specific "X" version or otherwise) with their Gigabyte K7 and able to run them at their specified speed rating (or higher; although my goal is simply to have them operate at their specified frequency) without issue? If so, please be so kind as to share your bios configuration and/or tips for getting it to work.

With the help of 1usmus 's DRAM calculator, I have been able to get the RAM running stably at 3200 MHz with no errors, however when cold booting or rebooting the computer, the motherboard fails at RAM training and gives me a boot failure notification (code F9). After entering the bios proceeding the prompt from this error mesage, loading the 3200Mhz configuration settings I have saved to a profile, and saving and exiting, the PC will proceed to boot without issue. I have tried playing around with various voltages to remedy this, staying within the DRAM calculator's recommendation, but have not had success. Does this indicate that I need to go back to the drawing board and try a different procODT setting (the DRAM calc's first recommendation of 48 ohm produced errors, and I'm currently using 43.6 ohm; I have not attempted 53 ohm based on the stability I found with my current setting, but perhaps it's necessary?). Perhaps updating the bios would be worthwhile (I am currently using version F30)?

For reference, here are some screen captures of the DRAM calculator's recommendations as well as my system's current operating parameters and readings. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Spoiler!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mb_memory_ga-ax370-gaming-k7.pdf (134.2 KB, 3 views)

CPU
Ryzen 7 1700x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070ti
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 850 G3
Cooling
EK-FB GA AX370 Gaming RGB Monoblock - Nickel
Cooling
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump / Reservoir Combo - Glass
Cooling
EK-CoolStream SE 420 (Slim Triple)
Case
BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Home (x64)
Monitor
Acer Predator XB270HU
Audio
Mayflower Electronics Objective2 Headphone Amplifier and ODAC
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3605 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by ForTheRepublic View Post
Greetings. So, I am relatively new to overclocking, and I have a few questions regarding RAM, and specifically pertaining to this motherboard. I bought two 8GBx2 DDR4 RAM kits from G.Skill (RAM is quite expensive these days, so I waited for sale discounts which is how I ended up with the two slightly different ones); one of the kits has Part Number F4-3200C14-8GTZR, and the other F4-3200C14-8GTZRX , with the "X" version only serving to designate that it is meant specifically for Ryzen CPUs as far as I can tell; however, other than that, the kits appear to be identical.

Neither kit is on the Qualified Vendor List for this board (however, I realize these are not exhaustive lists), so my questions are as follows:

1) Does the "X" make any difference aside from a marketing perspective of indicating explicitly its compatibility with the Ryzen CPU; i.e., it should not pose an issue to pair the two kits with one another because they are essentially the same exact RAM, correct?
Well, the Thaiphoon screenshots would certainly indicate they're essentially identical. I'd not be surprised at all if they were in fact exactly the same for this particular case of the G.Skill GTZR vs. GTZRX.

Quote:
2) Is anyone using this RAM (Ryzen- specific "X" version or otherwise) with their Gigabyte K7 and able to run them at their specified speed rating (or higher; although my goal is simply to have them operate at their specified frequency) without issue? If so, please be so kind as to share your bios configuration and/or tips for getting it to work.
Yes! I'm using two kits of F4-3200C14D-16GTZR (a total of 4x of the same F4-3200C14-8GTZR non-X 8GB modules) in my X370 Gaming K7 with an R7 1800X. They've worked fine at 3200MHz since day 1. Originally I just toggled on XMP and left it at that. Later I used an earlier version of 1usmus's Ryzen DRAM Calculator (1.4.0) to dial in some more aggressive settings. Here's what I have presently that's been completely stable with my R7 1800X:

Other relevant BIOS (F7a) settings (ones not shown or not reported in Timing Checker):
vSOC = 0.91875v (I think my 1800X's memory controller just ended up being very good quality)
DRAM Voltage = 1.34v (results in flipping between 1.368 and 1.380 reported in HWinfo)
ProcODT = 53.3
RTT_NOM = RZQ/7(34)
RTT_WR = Off
RTT_PARK = RZQ/6(40)

Quote:
With the help of 1usmus 's DRAM calculator, I have been able to get the RAM running stably at 3200 MHz with no errors, however when cold booting or rebooting the computer, the motherboard fails at RAM training and gives me a boot failure notification (code F9). After entering the bios proceeding the prompt from this error mesage, loading the 3200Mhz configuration settings I have saved to a profile, and saving and exiting, the PC will proceed to boot without issue. I have tried playing around with various voltages to remedy this, staying within the DRAM calculator's recommendation, but have not had success. Does this indicate that I need to go back to the drawing board and try a different procODT setting (the DRAM calc's first recommendation of 48 ohm produced errors, and I'm currently using 43.6 ohm; I have not attempted 53 ohm based on the stability I found with my current setting, but perhaps it's necessary?). Perhaps updating the bios would be worthwhile (I am currently using version F30)?
I think there may be a display error in v1.6.2 of Ryzen DRAM Calc regarding the "Rec." RTT_PARK setting.

Notice it's suggesting RZQ/1 for the recommended, which would actually be 240 Ohms, not the "(48)" it also lists there. To get 48 Ohms you'd need to use RZQ/5, as it correctly shows in the Alt. 1 and Alt. 2 entries.

When I was recently trying to dial in a good actual 1T command rate configuration (with GearDown disabled) based on the v1.6.2 calculator, I struggled for a long time before catching that RZQ/1 issue in RTT_PARK. Once I changed it to RZQ/5 to correctly set 48 Ohms things immediately improved and I stopped getting the repeated memory re-training on restarts, similar to what you're reporting. I haven't been able to get true 1T completely stable yet though, so I reverted to what I listed above with the Timing Checker for now.

I also found this article by 1usmus in my research, which I've found extremely helpful in going into the details of RAM tuning for Ryzen:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...locking-guide/

I haven't had the time yet to dedicate to following its advice and systematically dialing things in, but it seems like an excellent resource, and it increased my understanding of the various factors in Ryzen memory tuning by a lot.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryzen Timing Checker current.png
Views:	61
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	299326  

Zenlightenment
(19 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 (4x 8GB)
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 500GB m.2 NVMe
Hard Drive
SanDisk Extreme II 240GB SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital Re 4TB HDD
Optical Drive
LiteOn DVD-R (iHAS524-B)
Power Supply
PC Power & Cooling 750W
Cooling
Fluid Gaming A240 open loop liquid cooling kit
Cooling
Fluid Gaming EK-FG 120 expansion kit
Cooling
Fluid Gaming EK-AC Radeon Vega full-cover waterblock
Case
Corsair Crystal 460X RGB Mid-ATX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Nixeus NX-EDG27 27" 2560x1440 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech Y-UY95
Mouse
Razer Abyssus V2
Audio
Onkyo HT-R410 receiver
Audio
Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II speakers
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by spurdy; 10-03-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typos
post #3603 of 3605 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by spurdy View Post
Yes! I'm using two kits of F4-3200C14D-16GTZR (a total of 4x of the same F4-3200C14-8GTZR non-X 8GB modules) in my X370 Gaming K7 with an R7 1800X []. They've worked fine at 3200MHz since day 1. Originally I just toggled on XMP and left it at that. Later I used an earlier version of 1usmus's Ryzen DRAM Calculator (1.4.0) to dial in some more aggressive settings. Here's what I have presently that's been completely stable with my R7 1800X:

Other relevant BIOS (F7a) settings (ones not shown or not reported in Timing Checker):
vSOC = 0.91875v (I think my 1800X's memory controller just ended up being very good quality)
DRAM Voltage = 1.34v (results in flipping between 1.368 and 1.380 reported in HWinfo)
ProcODT = 53.3
RTT_NOM = RZQ/7(34)
RTT_WR = Off
RTT_PARK = RZQ/6(40)

I think there may be a display error in v1.6.2 of Ryzen DRAM Calc regarding the "Rec." RTT_PARK setting.

Notice it's suggesting RZQ/1 for the recommended, which would actually be 240 Ohms, not the "(48)" it also lists there. To get 48 Ohms you'd need to use RZQ/5, as it correctly shows in the Alt. 1 and Alt. 2 entries.

When I was recently trying to dial in a good actual 1T command rate configuration (with GearDown disabled) based on the v1.6.2 calculator, I struggled for a long time before catching that RZQ/1 issue in RTT_PARK. Once I changed it to RZQ/5 to correctly set 48 Ohms things immediately improved and I stopped getting the repeated memory re-training on restarts, similar to what you're reporting. I haven't been able to get true 1T completely stable yet though, so I reverted to what I listed above with the Timing Checker for now.
It's great to hear someone is able to get the same memory kit running at 3200 MHz! Thanks for sharing ! Good call with the RTT_Park readout error; I hadn't noticed that. However, unfortunately I am already using the Alt RZQ/5 (48 ohm) for RTT Park, corresponding, or so I assumed, to the 43 ohm procODT parameter in the Alt 1 column in the calculator (I had assumed each column, "Rec", "Alt 1", and "Alt 2" represented a unified interdependent set of parameters meant to be used together (i.e., "Alt 1" column impedance values for RTT [NOM / WR / PARK ] should correspond to the "Alt 1" value listed for the procODT, a value of 43 ohm in my case.)

Interesting that you are using an RTT Park value of RZQ/6 (40 ohm) when that is not one of the Rec. or Alt. values suggested by the calculator for the RAM that you and I are using. If adjusting this parameter allowed you to overcome the boot failure issue, then I shall try tinkering with that I suppose.

Quote: Originally Posted by spurdy View Post
I also found this article by 1usmus in my research, which I've found extremely helpful in going into the details of RAM tuning for Ryzen:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...locking-guide/

I haven't had the time yet to dedicate to following its advice and systematically dialing things in, but it seems like an excellent resource, and it increased my understanding of the various factors in Ryzen memory tuning by a lot.

Good luck!
Yes, I found the same guide through the "Help" tab of the DRAM Calculator xD ! I too found the information profoundly insightful with regard to RAM/CPU overclocking on the Ryzen platform; excellent resource indeed. There is even a small section pertaining to cold boot / double-start issues; however 1usmus does not give any tip to address it aside to state that it is normal and to try to stick to the recommendations of the calculator, unfortunately .

CPU
Ryzen 7 1700x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070ti
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 850 G3
Cooling
EK-FB GA AX370 Gaming RGB Monoblock - Nickel
Cooling
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump / Reservoir Combo - Glass
Cooling
EK-CoolStream SE 420 (Slim Triple)
Case
BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Home (x64)
Monitor
Acer Predator XB270HU
Audio
Mayflower Electronics Objective2 Headphone Amplifier and ODAC
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3604 of 3605 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ForTheRepublic View Post
It's great to hear someone is able to get the same memory kit running at 3200 MHz! Thanks for sharing ! Good call with the RTT_Park readout error; I hadn't noticed that. However, unfortunately I am already using the Alt RZQ/5 (48 ohm) for RTT Park, corresponding, or so I assumed, to the 43 ohm procODT parameter in the Alt 1 column in the calculator (I had assumed each column, "Rec", "Alt 1", and "Alt 2" represented a unified interdependent set of parameters meant to be used together (i.e., "Alt 1" column impedance values for RTT [NOM / WR / PARK ] should correspond to the "Alt 1" value listed for the procODT, a value of 43 ohm in my case.)
Yes, that's my interpretation as well, that each column is an associated recommended group of settings.
Quote:
Interesting that you are using an RTT Park value of RZQ/6 (40 ohm) when that is not one of the Rec. or Alt. values suggested by the calculator for the RAM that you and I are using. If adjusting this parameter allowed you to overcome the boot failure issue, then I shall try tinkering with that I suppose.
I think the RZQ/6(40) RTT_PARK setting had been suggested when I first set up that stable configuration with the older v1.4.0 DRAM calculator. I hadn't changed it since it was working, and only made a few recent attempts with the newest 1.6.2 calculator values when exploring a new 1T command rate setup, and just reverted to my older known-good configuration when that didn't pan out. It seems some of the recommended settings have fluctuated a bit as 1usmus has worked on it.

Zenlightenment
(19 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 (4x 8GB)
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 500GB m.2 NVMe
Hard Drive
SanDisk Extreme II 240GB SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital Re 4TB HDD
Optical Drive
LiteOn DVD-R (iHAS524-B)
Power Supply
PC Power & Cooling 750W
Cooling
Fluid Gaming A240 open loop liquid cooling kit
Cooling
Fluid Gaming EK-FG 120 expansion kit
Cooling
Fluid Gaming EK-AC Radeon Vega full-cover waterblock
Case
Corsair Crystal 460X RGB Mid-ATX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Nixeus NX-EDG27 27" 2560x1440 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech Y-UY95
Mouse
Razer Abyssus V2
Audio
Onkyo HT-R410 receiver
Audio
Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II speakers
▲ hide details ▲
post #3605 of 3605 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:45 AM
General Nerd

Quote: Originally Posted by akama View Post
Anybody know what values are "safe" to put as EDC,PPT TDC on the gigabyte x370 k7? I'm using the ryzen 3600. I want PBO to just work abit harder
I am also curious if anybody knows some decent values for this?

Gaming rig: 1950x @ 4.0 on EK monoblock, Asrock Taichi x399, 32 gb G.Skill @ 3200 CAS 14, Asus Strix 1080ti on EK block. EK SE 360 rad, EK 360 PE rad.
Home Media Server: Ryzen 3900x @ Stock (for now) on Kraken x62, 32 gb Corsair @ 3000 CAS 16, 52 tb storage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in