My thoughts on ZEN2 [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I bought 3900X and after literally waiting 2 months for it I was finally able to install it. In the meantime I got X570 Prime Pro because.... well I had money waiting for a CPU ant it was late to the party [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] ... but anyway from what I observed VRM is not an issue in any way whatsoever. From the beginning:
- I have an Alphacool Eisbaer 420 cooler on it mounted on liquid metal in push-pull config
- CPU on latest beta bios is able to boost to 4.6Ghz on 1-2 cores, but only for a moment and on auto CB20 reaches about 7100p (on older around 6900p)
- but it can be increased to 7650p with manual OC
- but in this ZEN2 is really problematic, for example, AMD lied that AVX2 does not require any offset compared to AVX or simple Float operations, and so while I can run CB20 in a loop or CPU-Z benchmark or anything really at [email protected]
and keep temps at most 82C any attempt to run Prime95 AVX2 code at that speed results in instant 95C and reboot a second later (thank you Asus for the reboot or my CPU would probably by fried), to run AVX2 code I have to lower clock to 4.1-4.2Ghz on 1.15-1.2V to keep temps below 85C and 92C respectively
- and no, my cooling solution is not inadequate (I think) since the temp rise is almost instantaneous
- and I can keep regular temps below 80C for over 220W reported from CPU
- memory on ZEN2 (and X570) is working great, my old modules that refused to go faster than 3000 on 2700X on X370 are working easily at 3733 in synchro mode with Infinity Fabric
Reading reviews that state that they pushed 3900X to 4.4Ghz on 1.4V makes me wonder how they cooled it or what they were running on it.
What all above was listed for? Well, I could never push even 250W into the CPU, which was possible for 2700X, without temps going through the roof so no worries about 3900X running on X370, frankly at stock it only uses 145W of power and up to 190W with PBO enabled and scalar 10X forced - in the same ballpark as 2700X with PBO.