Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread - Page 533 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread

post #5321 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello everyone, quick question:

Do the newer bioses on this board support the pbo (or xfr? whatever the auto oc is) for the zen+ and zen2 X chips?

Last edited by bjorkmgork; 07-11-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5322 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by bjorkmgork View Post
Hello everyone, quick question:

Do the newer bioses on this board support the pbo (or xfr? whatever the auto oc is) for the zen+ and zen2 X chips?
Yes.

Ryzen [email protected] bclk+ Kraken X61 push/pull|Asrock X370 Taichi|EVGA SC2 1080ti [email protected] & [email protected] Mhz 0.98 mV + Kraken X61|GSkill FlareX 8GBx2 3466MHz CL 14-15-14-28-42-277-1t&1.40 mV|EVGA SuperNova 850W|Thermaltake View 31 RGB|NVME CorsairMP500 240 GB+Seagate 3TB 7200rpm 200 MBps|HP Omen 27" [email protected]
post #5323 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by LongRod View Post
I found a weird little thing.

If you open HWiNFO, event viewer will throw a few WHEA errors the moment it opens (because it has to poll all the hardware to grab states and whatnot), same with afterburner (having it open will cause a crash after a while since it is actively polling). HOWEVER, if you disable the polling of hardware and just use afterburner for rivatuner's fps monitoring and frame capping capabilities, it doesn't error out as often anymore.

I wonder if this has something to do with how hardware is being polled for things like temperatures and load.
Polling issues are present for ages. I've disabled it when I had a Gigabyte mb because HWInfo would cause bsod's. When I bought the Taichi I disabled it again because HWInfo used to show strange bclk fluctuations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5324 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
Quote: Originally Posted by alexandrebr View Post
Polling issues are present for ages. I've disabled it when I had a Gigabyte mb because HWInfo would cause bsod's. When I bought the Taichi I disabled it again because HWInfo used to show strange bclk fluctuations.

yeah I second that HWinfo causes some weird issues with the hardware

post #5325 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
so how hard would it be to solder a new bigger bios chip on ? well if it would work

amd [email protected] 16gb g-skill flare cl14 ,asrock taichi mb,sapphire vega 64 nitro+,LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red ..ek blocks 1x 120.3 1x120.4 rad loops 512gb samsung 850 evo, 3tb's of hd space ..evga 850psu
post #5326 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
After installing my 3700x, my G.skill FlareX 3200 RAM wont post above 2666 unless I select XMP and leave everything stock. However, my computer would constantly crash when using XMP 3200 settings, so I had to go back to 2666.

And of course my CPU idles around 48-50 C since it doesn't seem to downclock from 4.3 Ghz (with a high voltage) unless there is a load where it is 4-4.1 Ghz...

post #5327 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by flearider View Post
so how hard would it be to solder a new bigger bios chip on ? well if it would work
what do you need a new bigger bios chip for?

Ryzen gen.1
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Palit GTX 1080 GameRock
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX
Hard Drive
Intel 760p
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
▲ hide details ▲
post #5328 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
After installing my 3700x, my G.skill FlareX 3200 RAM wont post above 2666 unless I select XMP and leave everything stock. However, my computer would constantly crash when using XMP 3200 settings, so I had to go back to 2666.

And of course my CPU idles around 48-50 C since it doesn't seem to downclock from 4.3 Ghz (with a high voltage) unless there is a load where it is 4-4.1 Ghz...
The reason why the CPU isn't downlocking is because you are likely using High performance plan for windows, swap to ryzen balanced (And more importantly do NOT touch the min/max processor values) and you will see that cores will be put properly into sleep mode (The cores will downclock shortly before they are put to sleep). Also currently the most accurate program for monitoring temps/voltage/freq is ryzen master and you actually have false info using most of our current monitoring software.
More info on why you should only use ryzen master or CPU-z here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...3rd_gen_ryzen/

You might also want to try getting the ram at 2933 atleast, it is currently the highest I can achieve on my chip and I wouldn't be surprised if atleast most of us can reach that until the next AGESA version is released to us via a bios update.

X370 Taichi | AMD 3900x | Strix 1070 | 16GB 3200Mhz CL14 | Crucial MX500 SSD | Noctua DH-15 | Asus PG248Q
post #5329 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Reading posts here, I understood that we would see PBO options in the 5.60 Bios. However, no options are shown under CBS selections or under the CPU Zen options. Maybe because I have a 2700 CPU and NOT the X version, I don't see these options? In a 2018 Bios version, I did see these with this same CPU. (I think it was the 4.81 bios.)

Any illumination on this subject would help. I have enabled robust throttling but that's all I can select.

Thanks for your help.

Always Searching for Perfection,

Bluesman
post #5330 of 5508 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by danisflying View Post
The reason why the CPU isn't downlocking is because you are likely using High performance plan for windows, swap to ryzen balanced (And more importantly do NOT touch the min/max processor values) and you will see that cores will be put properly into sleep mode (The cores will downclock shortly before they are put to sleep). Also currently the most accurate program for monitoring temps/voltage/freq is ryzen master and you actually have false info using most of our current monitoring software.
More info on why you should only use ryzen master or CPU-z here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...3rd_gen_ryzen/

You might also want to try getting the ram at 2933 atleast, it is currently the highest I can achieve on my chip and I wouldn't be surprised if atleast most of us can reach that until the next AGESA version is released to us via a bios update.
My power plan did somehow get changed from Balanced to High Performance, thanks. I put it on Ryzen power plan for now although I have no idea if Balanced or Ryzen is better for the 3000 series. The voltage does seem to fluctuate wildly with it mostly still above 1.4V even when idling and my temperatures are still quite bad with constantly fluctuating between 38-50 C at idle using Ryzen Master. I typically run CAM for my CPU cooler (Kraken x62) and MSI Afterburner for monitoring and setting FPS limit, but with the potential Whea errors from monitoring I have stopped using both for now (I have afterburner only monitoring FPS for now)...

Best memory I can do is 2800, it wont post at 2866 or 2933. We need a new BIOS ASAP, sigh.

Also, what is the best thermal paste application for 3000 series processors? I think they supposedly get hot near one side so a pea in the middle might not be best. I tried an X and I have way too high of thermals, although part of it could be the voltage not dropping low - in Ryzen master it is mostly above 1.44 V but at times it briefly flashes 0.98V while nearly idle/only web browsing. I think I need to buy more thermal paste before trying again because the tube is very low and I don't want to run out without even being able to dispense a pea lol. Overall using an X, I did probably apply too much thermal paste. But using my CAM software, the water inside the Kraken pump is only 35 C which isn't too bad as I don't have my fans running very fast with that water temp to keep fan noise down. Water temp is usually in the 40s while gaming which is when I have the fans on the radiator ramp up. Maybe it is just CAM misreporting the temperature as 50 C and I never looked at Ryzen Master for my 2700x to see if the reported temperature constantly drastically fluctuated.

Last edited by jrcbandit; 07-12-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in