Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread - Page 666 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread

post #6651 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by garych View Post
Flashed back to 5.93...
4.3 is being hit pretty often here while browsing/watching youtube videos

Ok I can confirm that Amd is indeed fixing this issue where Windows isn't always using the favored cores. 1usmus might post something on Monday about this issue but it is getting fixed!

Who ever said not to inform Amd or other partners issues that they are having are fully mistaken always inform! You guys might even see my screenshot be used haha on monday over the issue.

Amd is a genius company let the community come up with some of the fixes for ya!

Last edited by polkfan; 11-09-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6652 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasck View Post
do you have those 1usmus's options for his PP enabled even if you are not using that PP?
The only few differences I noticed between my profile and 1usmus, when I installed it, were pretty much "Allow Throttle States" turned off in his and Activity Window for Autonomous mode(CPPC) set to 45ms instead of default 30ms.
Since then I set my Activity Window to 1ms and performance state time check interval increase time from 15ms to 1ms, and decrease time from 15ms to 2ms.
Also, I set min performance to 100%, because default Ryzen Balanced min at 99% didn't do anything in terms of downclocking or temps.

Ryzen gen.3
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Palit GTX 1080 GameRock
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX
Hard Drive
Intel 760p
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
▲ hide details ▲
post #6653 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

@garych I meat to say, those in the bios > cbs

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

PCDEBAIANO
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
Taichi X370
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator 4000
Cooling
3x360mm
Case
Lian Li o11d
Monitor
HANNspree HG324
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6654 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by thomasck View Post
@garych I meat to say, those in the bios > cbs

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Oh, ye I've always enabled them since on earlier UEFIs after flashing one of the CPPC option would appear disabled instead of Auto.
The new one was to set DF Cstates or whatever it's called to enabled, although I think this one should also be auto enabled with Auto.

Ryzen gen.3
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Palit GTX 1080 GameRock
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX
Hard Drive
Intel 760p
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
▲ hide details ▲
post #6655 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

I think I found the option responsible for all the "magical" performance improvements from 1usmus.
That same option is also responsible for no VRM downvolt during idle.
It's the "Energy Preference %" set to 0.
Was set to 30% by default, so the processor can hold its horses for brief load spikes.
If you set it to 100% it will be very slow at boosting up. The equivalent of 100% would be EfficiencyMode, if I remember the name correctly, from CBS options.

The UEFI options required by the PP should already be enabled when set to Auto by default.

You can also set the minimum cores to 50% so your most performant CCX is always active, because, as we can witness from the three samples of most performant cores lists, any core from best CCX is faster than any core from another.
At least that's how it happens on my system.
Slow CCX cores are mostly Parked during regular use:

I think we should take advantage of our 30 times faster than Zen/Zen+ CPPC (1-2ms), as we can use it to unpark/park cores quickly when needed and load only the fastest cores during regular use.
I get basically the same good results with 50% cores parked most of the time prior to benchmarking.

Ryzen gen.3
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Palit GTX 1080 GameRock
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX
Hard Drive
Intel 760p
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by garych; 11-08-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #6656 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 01:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

It really feels like performance ranking only matters when there's core parking enabled.
I set my minimum cores to 0% and now they are being unparked in the order of performance defined/received by Windows,
with threads 6-7 being utilized first and 10-11 second and so on, with minor thread 0 utilization from time to time.

Ryzen gen.3
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Palit GTX 1080 GameRock
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX
Hard Drive
Intel 760p
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
▲ hide details ▲
post #6657 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 02:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

It really feels like performance ranking only matters when there's core parking enabled.
I set my minimum cores to 0% and now they are being unparked in the order of performance defined/received by Windows,
with threads 6-7 being utilized first and 10-11 second and so on, with minor thread 0 utilization from time to time.
I notice the same thing still isn't using the fastest cores right on my CPU but it does keep the other ccx from turning on during loads that use only a few cores, which in return allows for higher turbos and lower temps(chance for higher turbo's again)

Windows 10 really needs to become more modern all CPU's will work like this in the future to get every bit of juice out of them no need to have cores drain power when they don't need to be used. Plus for a lot of applications that could use that turbo they only need a few cores so we don't need 16, 12 or even 6 cores all active 100% of the time.

I'll edit this when i find it but i think when Zen 2 cores go into parked mode it only takes a few ms to turn the core back on when needed.

"Windows scheduler is not SMT aware—only the Windows core-parking algorithm is SMT aware. Why does this matter? Because in High Performance mode, the core-parking system is disabled." - 1usmus

Last edited by polkfan; 11-09-2019 at 03:14 PM.
post #6658 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by polkfan View Post
I notice the same thing still isn't using the fastest cores right on my CPU but it does keep the other ccx from turning on during loads that use only a few cores, which in return allows for higher turbos and lower temps(chance for higher turbo's again)

Windows 10 really needs to become more modern all CPU's will work like this in the future to get every bit of juice out of them no need to have cores drain power when they don't need to be used. Plus for a lot of applications that could use that turbo they only need a few cores so we don't need 16, 12 or even 6 cores all active 100% of the time.

I'll edit this when i find it but i think when Zen 2 cores go into parked mode it only takes a few ms to turn the core back on when needed.

"Windows scheduler is not SMT aware—only the Windows core-parking algorithm is SMT aware. Why does this matter? Because in High Performance mode, the core-parking system is disabled." - 1usmus
Even though its not using cores properly when they are all unparked at 100% minimum cores, having all cores on improves in-game frame times, at least in GTA V that I benchmarked yesterday comparing with 50% min cores, even though I’ve set the cores to turn on with minimum delay of 1ms when the need for them is detected.
But having min cores at 50% improves CPU-Z single threaded by a few points, so go figure.
I need to benchmark something else single threaded, cinebench shows the same results in both cases.

Ryzen gen.3
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Palit GTX 1080 GameRock
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX
Hard Drive
Intel 760p
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
▲ hide details ▲
post #6659 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Even though its not using cores properly when they are all unparked at 100% minimum cores, having all cores on improves in-game frame times, at least in GTA V that I benchmarked yesterday comparing with 50% min cores, even though I’ve set the cores to turn on with minimum delay of 1ms when the need for them is detected.
But having min cores at 50% improves CPU-Z single threaded by a few points, so go figure.
I need to benchmark something else single threaded, cinebench shows the same results in both cases.
Good in benchmarks then but nothing else lol

Ah still fun to play with

As a side note all my cores went up by 8% by turning AUTO OC to 200 vs 50mhz even though it doesn't even turbo as high as at 0mhz lol Amd this makes no sense I would be so happy to read some kind of documentation to why this happens as i'm purely curious. As a side note i finally tweaked some more advanced ram settings from ryzen calc but my latency stayed the same but windows does feel snappier

Still looking forward to an update to ryzen calc for the extreme profile i'm sure i can tweak my ram a bit more especially the secondary timings

66.5 Latency on ram just seems high

Ok guys i spent like 8 hours tweaking everything haha i pretty much know this bios like the back of my hand so if someone needs help finding something ask. (For example you can turn off PBO and but enable Auto OC by going to SMU settings and XFR enhancement and disable PBO but enable it and Auto OC in

Cool and quiet is 100% gone haha spent forever trying to find it, C-state and DF C state replaced it.

Bye Cool and Quiet my hatred for you since the Athlon FX will never be forgotten

More i research it the more we should not have core parking on
https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/...equency-90-pct

So i can get 5.93 to mess up as well i have to change the SOC voltage something it does not like and its default setting is 1.2V which i guess is fine and all given my cooling but ryzen calc says 1.125V which refuses to boot(though a simple turning off the PC and turning it on reboots the system without having to unplug it and jump the cmos like on 5.91 and 5.94!)

Last edited by polkfan; 11-10-2019 at 03:03 AM.
post #6660 of 6678 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:18 AM
Stock is too casual~

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by polkfan View Post
As a side note i finally tweaked some more advanced ram settings from ryzen calc but my latency stayed the same but windows does feel snappier

Still looking forward to an update to ryzen calc for the extreme profile i'm sure i can tweak my ram a bit more especially the secondary timings

66.5 Latency on ram just seems high
Grab SiSoftware Sandra, log in with a new account before doing benchmarks (it will make one the first time you log in)
And start to finetune ram first with TM5 20 rounds to know they are stable
Later sanity check everything with the "draw latency curve" option inside the DRAM calculator and at the same time also make the "Multi-Core Efficiency" Test in SiSandra
Inter-Core Bandwith matters a bit more then Inter-Core latency,
tho latency on 3rd gen will have a bit of a higher effect on perf between non stop boost switching threads
For allcore fixed systems, focus more on Inter-Core Bandwith

Little advices:
tRDRD & WRWR SCL of 2 is always better then 3 with stricter timings and lower tRFC
tRRDS 4 / tRRDL 4 with SCL of 3 is performing worse then 4 6 at SCL 2 2
low tRFC with 14-12-14-12-26 is performing worse then pure C14-14 with whole number tRFC (no decimals)

For example this:
Spoiler!

Performs worse then this:
Spoiler!

Visible here:
Spoiler!

Personal Records
SiSandra Inter-Core Bandwith 14nm Ryzen #2 Lost by a 101Mhz FSB OC #1 :>
RAM > Viper Steel @ 3466C14 (64.2ns) & Alt | Hynix-MFR 3333CL14 (72.5ns) & Alt

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo

Last edited by Veii; 11-11-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in