Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Motherboard - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Motherboard

Old 08-16-2017, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Paradigm Shifter is on a distinguished road Paradigm Shifter is on a distinguished road Paradigm Shifter is on a distinguished road

Been so busy I totally forgot about this thread... redface.gif

I didn't even look at what the VRM heatsink was like, since I didn't intend to overclock.

I did snap a couple of pictures, but they were from angles that it's hard to see the bottom of the heatsink from. That said, I'm pretty sure the one picture I can see well it has a mobo standoff, so I guess I got the Maxi!Thermalpad too.

Can I be bothered to contact Asrock? Depends. AIDA64 reports an unhealthily high motherboard temp (118*C idle) but I simply don't believe that because the BIOS reports mobo temps in the 50 range. Plus, system doesn't shut down, even when I stress test, game for a few hours (which is when it gets hottest) or encode (when the CPU is hardest loaded).

The case I'm using (a Raijintek Metis) is absolutely terrible for cooling, the CPU can be kept under control by swapping the orientation of the rear exhaust to intake... but the GPU in the roof of the case (it's an inverted-mobo layout) cooks regardless. I stuffed a high-airflow fan in there and set a custom fan profile so it spins up to 100% fairly quickly, which keeps things manageable (if a little louder than I would like)... but I'm limited by space where I am now. I bought the Metis knowing it was probably going to suck for cooling, but decided to try it anyway because it was smaller and cheaper than all of the other cases I was looking at.

I probably will contact Asrock, but it may be more trouble than it is worth for me. We'll see what they say.

Box front.

Box rear.

Box internal.

Contents.

Motherboard top down.

Motherboard I/O panel.

I'll be honest, when I've got some spare cash, I'll probably replace this case. I love how it looks, but I hate its cooling (or lack of it...)

Left.

Right.

Back.

Front.

Everything inside. Not my best cable-tidy job, have since improved it a touch when I replaced the terrible stock fan, but it's not like working inside a Fractal Design or Corsair case. frown.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2017, 04:15 AM
Fumbling In BIOS
coreykill99 Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Been so busy I totally forgot about this thread... redface.gif

I didn't even look at what the VRM heatsink was like, since I didn't intend to overclock.

I did snap a couple of pictures, but they were from angles that it's hard to see the bottom of the heatsink from. That said, I'm pretty sure the one picture I can see well it has a mobo standoff, so I guess I got the Maxi!Thermalpad too.

Can I be bothered to contact Asrock? Depends. AIDA64 reports an unhealthily high motherboard temp (118*C idle) but I simply don't believe that because the BIOS reports mobo temps in the 50 range. Plus, system doesn't shut down, even when I stress test, game for a few hours (which is when it gets hottest) or encode (when the CPU is hardest loaded).

I probably will contact Asrock, but it may be more trouble than it is worth for me. We'll see what they say.

I thought it would be a huge hassle to contact them as well.
I sent them an email 2 days ago. and said I had the original version and I wanted the new one as I was concerned with heat.
I got an email back yesterday that asked for a copy of my receipt and the address to ship the new one. didn't seem that bad.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:54 AM
New to Overclock.net
keicam87 Level 1

So, is it like this mobo has already another revision ?

I am about to receive my new gear: as rock x370 itx + ryzen + ram, and I am wondering if I can chek on the mobo cardboard if its revised version or the faulty one?

Any ideas ? Maybe check product numer or serial numer?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2017, 08:03 AM
New to Overclock.net
deliverator Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreykill99 View Post

I sent them an email 2 days ago. and said I had the original version and I wanted the new one as I was concerned with heat.
I got an email back yesterday that asked for a copy of my receipt and the address to ship the new one. didn't seem that bad.

Same experience here. They contacted me same day for the required information.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:51 PM
New to Overclock.net
Ricdeau is an unknown quantity at this point Ricdeau is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear they are sending out replacements without fuss now. When this first came about people were getting mixed results on getting it replaced. I just submitted a support request based on the reported ease of getting the replacement now. Thanks to everyone that followed up on that.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 AM
New to Overclock.net
keicam87 Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreykill99 View Post

So what exactly are the symptoms of this issue ? high mobo temp when idle / under load ?
What should I look for ?

I am about to receive my mobo and whole gear tomorrow, and I worry that it will be the faulty one frown.gif and I dont want to be stuck with that.

I would appreciate any help of what to look for what to check.

BR,
Old 08-17-2017, 04:16 AM
Fumbling In BIOS
coreykill99 Level 1

this is what to look for. if when you get your board its sitting on a big thick pad of thermal tape like this. send ASROCK an email and ask for the new style sink.
if not. you have one where the metal reaches all the way down to the board. then your fine.
the only real issues with it. I dont feel comfortable OC'ing the chip while the vrm is inadequately cooled. the thermal pad is just too thick. its acting as more of a thermal insulator at this point keeping heat from being absorbed and dissipated by the sink as it should be. and with the itx case I have mine in where airflow isnt the greatest. improper heat dissipation and heat buildup are real issues. at least from what ive seen.
I dont think it is going to cause any "real" issues at stock. it was engineered that way after all. and they would be facing a huge problem if they were all going to fail because of it. but im guessing that overclocking wasn't really taken into account when these boards were designed.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:33 AM
New to Overclock.net
keicam87 Level 1

Thanks a lot. You have been more than helpful! I am putting this mobo in node 202. I hope eveything turns out great. I will let you know once i tested it. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 AM
New to Overclock.net
keicam87 Level 1

Hi guys,

To dug a little deeper, this actually a summary of the conversation I just had with ASROCK techincal support in Europe. Guy seemed to be very informative:

• X370 mini itx werent designed to have VRM heatsink with 4-5 mm foam placed under. If this is the case with your mobo its the factory fault. (Looks like their official statement)
  • If in fact you have 4-5 mm foam under the VRM heatsink - its is baaad and not as it was designed. He advise to just use ASROCK support page, fill all the details and they will send you the new heatsink. (No need to go through reseller)
  • HWmonitor software may not recognize the chipset yet and show bad readings
  • If CPU temp in BIOS is round 50 - 60 Celsius it is all ok. No need to worry about other readings. Nota bene, CPU speed in BIOS is always at full speed (If thats true I actually didnt know that)
  • If in BIOS temp rises VERY rapidly it is deffinietly mobo issue.
  • If it was the case that mobo showed temperature over 100 degrees Celsius, system would automatically shut down.
  • Guy claims that changing the VRM heatsink can be done yourself, as easy as pie.

Thas what I have managed to get from ASROCK. I hope I have helped us a bit wink.gif
Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Paradigm Shifter is on a distinguished road Paradigm Shifter is on a distinguished road Paradigm Shifter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keicam87 View Post

• HWmonitor software may not recognize the chipset yet and show bad readings
  • If CPU temp in BIOS is round 50 - 60 Celsius it is all ok. No need to worry about other readings. Nota bene, CPU speed in BIOS is always at full speed (If thats true I actually didnt know that)
  • If in BIOS temp rises VERY rapidly it is deffinietly mobo issue.
  • If it was the case that mobo showed temperature over 100 degrees Celsius, system would automatically shut down.
This pretty much confirms what I see; I see frankly impossibly readings for motherboard temp in AIDA64, significantly higher CPU temps in the BIOS than in Windows (BIOS "idle" is hovering around 50 degrees, Windows idle is ~36 degrees), temperatures in BIOS rise to high 40's fairly quickly, then settle off. I've never had my system shut down, even when heavily loaded, so VRM can't be getting "too" hot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in