AMD X399 (Socket TR4) VRM thread - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AMD X399 (Socket TR4) VRM thread

post #41 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 859 (Unique: 327)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyElf View Post

It actually looks like a serious heatsink as opposed to a solid block of aluminum.
I'm surprised they didn't use 12K caps which they use on their WS series of boards. Not a big deal though.

As long as the capacitor itself is high quality (which obviously is the case with FPCAPs) anything above 2000 hours @ 105°C rating is essentially excessive, unless we're talking about hi-rel solutions such as medical, aerospace or space type of applications. The 10k rated caps will have a projected life time of ~178k hours at sustained 80°C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

As long as the capacitor itself is high quality (which obviously is the case with FPCAPs) anything above 2000 hours @ 105°C rating is essentially excessive, unless we're talking about hi-rel solutions such as medical, aerospace or space type of applications. The 10k rated caps will have a projected life time of ~178k hours at sustained 80°C.

what's the max ppm you need to be able to claim that rating? having that rating with high bad part ppm is not going to fly
post #43 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 859 (Unique: 327)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoolman View Post

what's the max ppm you need to be able to claim that rating? having that rating with high bad part ppm is not going to fly

Temperature coefficients are not specified in the public, model specific datasheets for FPCAPs.

Here is a generic chart: http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdf/2012fpcap_catalog_05.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Temperature coefficients are not specified in the public, model specific datasheets for FPCAPs.

Here is a generic chart: http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdf/2012fpcap_catalog_05.pdf

p8 has estimated life for operating temp. I guess we'll just have to trust them keeping ppm to a very lo level. otherwise poping/burning a couple caps after a couple years of use can be dangerous depending on where they are used

is there another thread to check for ASUS board rumours? I'm interested at X399, but I don't see any ASUS board with proper 8 SATA. wonder if they are going to have one with 8 SATA. that U.2 seems useless as those will likely not be used for a long long time or never to be used just by looking at the U.2 product on the market
post #45 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 15)
post #46 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Owner of 20 SSDs

Rep: 186 (Unique: 137)
Motherboard availability is like impossible lol. They got 1950Xs at Microcenter, 4 in stock, but no mobos of course, and I called them, their shipment date of X399 mobos is Wed and Fri, basically.

I just rather get the CPU now before that goes out of stock and wait for my preferred mobo, Gigabyte.

The only option available is MSI Carbon from Amazon, that will arrive Aug 22 from Amazon. I have NO experience with MSI motherboard, i am familiar with Gigabyte.

Edit: actually, that MSI Carbon looks impressive, the big heatsink looks nice. what about the VRM on it?

Giving this another week for mobo availability to be better for X399 from any sources.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZZFtt6
Threadripper 1950X
MSI X399 Pro Carbon
32gb ram, 4x8gb 2133
Titan X Pascal
10 freaking SSDs.
Corsair AX1200i
post #47 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarion View Post

I believe the upcoming Strix board also has 6 SATA ports. Kind of a strange decision by Asus if you ask me. Also think they should have tried to offer at least one product within the ATX form factor at launch, but what do I know. lol

I look away from all three ASUS X399 boards just because of this gimped number of SATA ports. I'm also not sure why they put a U.2 connector there to waste the space when one of the M.2 already has to hide under the heat sink. as far as I know, you can count the number of U.2 devices available with your fingers and I have yet to see Intel promoting U.2 devices with effort
post #48 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoBodi View Post

Motherboard availability is like impossible lol. They got 1950Xs at Microcenter, 4 in stock, but no mobos of course, and I called them, their shipment date of X399 mobos is Wed and Fri, basically.

I just rather get the CPU now before that goes out of stock and wait for my preferred mobo, Gigabyte.

The only option available is MSI Carbon from Amazon, that will arrive Aug 22 from Amazon. I have NO experience with MSI motherboard, i am familiar with Gigabyte.

Edit: actually, that MSI Carbon looks impressive, the big heatsink looks nice. what about the VRM on it?

Giving this another week for mobo availability to be better for X399 from any sources.

if you go to Amazon's page for 1950X, you can see bundle deals with mobo or aio. not sure if it can compete with ucenter though
post #49 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Owner of 20 SSDs

Rep: 186 (Unique: 137)
Ah, i got the MSI carbon off Newegg. Mobo will be here Tuesday or so. YAY!

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZZFtt6
Threadripper 1950X
MSI X399 Pro Carbon
32gb ram, 4x8gb 2133
Titan X Pascal
10 freaking SSDs.
Corsair AX1200i
post #50 of 480 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Do anyone of you fine gentlemen know if the Noctua NH-U14S TR4 will be compatible with the MSI X399 Carbon VRM heatsink in a traditional horizontal airflow orientation?

It has a width of 150mm.

http://noctua.at/en/home-product/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3/specification

If it won't fit, I will go with the NH-U12S TR4 since it has only 125mm width, but I would prefer the larger U14S.

Very thankful for any replies, since I'm eager to place an order.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in