ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 ThreadRipper Overclocking / Support - Page 17 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 ThreadRipper Overclocking / Support

post #161 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 05:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljugtomten View Post

I have not yet found anything related to this in the setup.inx files for AISuite latest versions, decompiled with SID (Installshield decompiler)..

Is this the kind of memory you'd like to have? :-) snap2017-08-25004945.png 32k .png file

Not tried OC for real yet, D.O.C.S with profile for 3200MHz in UEFI 0503 did not complete POST.

There is definitly a component of the AI suite setup process that adds the entry. pre and post enumeration of the records show it being added (at least in my instance)

mmmmmm sweeet sweeet b-die! thats exactly the kind of memory id like to have

Try upping your SOC voltage to about 1.25v, failing that try the 'post dram voltage' setting at something like 1.5v - you really should be able to POST on those sticks at those speeds. my buddy with x399 ZE & 1950x is running 3600mhz on his B-die quad-channel 32gb kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 05:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post

HPET is disabled by default in Windows 10, so AI Suite isn't directly ruining anything as the issue seems to be with newer platforms and HPET enabled. Which you were already told earlier in the thread, but if you want to be thrown a bone for giving a bit more information then here's one wink.gif

cheers for the snack cobba :-D

I'd like you to try and replicate the issue before dismissing it - if this problem can be reproduced outside of my instance then its a significant oversight that should be fixed:

1: remove AI suite
2: run: bcdedit /enum and take note of 'useplatofrmclock' setting
3: run: bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
4: run: bcdedit /enum and take note of 'useplatofrmclock' setting
5: reboot and observe your PC being glorious
6: install AI suite
7: run: bcdedit /enum and take note of 'useplatofrmclock' setting
8: reboot and remember what it was like to use a core2duo

post #163 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 05:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddle View Post

cheers for the snack cobba :-D

I'd like you to try and replicate the issue before dismissing it - if this problem can be reproduced outside of my instance then its a significant oversight that should be fixed:

1: remove AI suite
2: run: bcdedit /enum and take note of 'useplatofrmclock' setting
3: run: bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
4: run: bcdedit /enum and take note of 'useplatofrmclock' setting
5: reboot and observe your PC being glorious
6: install AI suite
7: run: bcdedit /enum and take note of 'useplatofrmclock' setting
8: reboot and remember what it was like to use a core2duo

Found the culprit..

Easy method, searhing for variable "useplatformclock" in all files and one file contains it in clear text.

Having a look with Notepad++, not bothering with hexeditor or to decompile:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
That's why I don't have this problem, and any enum of HPET on my machine too...

Anyway, tools provided with motherboards are useless at best.

Nope, I'm not interested to install them to go back to the early 00's rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

post #165 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 69)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcodev View Post

Nope, I'm not interested to install them to go back to the early 00's rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

I don't own an aquero and speedfan won't work. Ai suite fan control is more flexible than thru the bios for me.
post #166 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:34 PM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 402 (Unique: 225)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcodev View Post

ASUS fan controls surpass anything other vendors are doing with fan control - but it's Aqua Computer's domain. Aquareo is a fantastic piece of kit.
post #167 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
OK, so I've done some more building and found that any kind (memory or CPU or together) of overclock on 9906 CPU or memory make the system unstable, examples on a complete new installation of Windows 10 (twice to be sure), launching ANY program I get the Windows message that the application has stopped working. Try again and it may or may not work, additionally programs running in the background i.e. NZXT CAM (CPU cooling!) will suddenly crash and have to be restarted (it may or may not take 2 or 3 restarts to getting working). This happens on a completely idle system.

Turn off all overclocking and the system is completely stable.

Overclock details -

BIOS 9906
Samsung B-DIE 3200Mhz using the "safe" overclock
3.8GHz CPU overclock - CPU temp 25c at idle
HPET is not enabled
SLI enabled (this makes no difference)

NOTE: tried bios 0305 and 0503 which SLI simply didn't work.

So Asus, what gives? Can we can a stable motherboard bios please that actually works?
post #168 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

I am running 2 GPU (GTX 1080) Setup not SLI - disabling HPET and doing DOCP memory tweak (@3200) and no CPU overclock does work. But as soon as I touch any parameters on CPU overclock the system because very unstable. Tried fresh OS install. I have tried Bios 0503 and 9910 all the same. I bought the Zenith because I thought it would stable/premium of all the x399 motherboards but I am sadly considering returning it and going for another motherboard frown.gif

Please fix it ASUS. I believe in you, I still have a few days before returning will keep playing but honestly its getting very frustrating.

EDIT: Second GPU not detected sometimes....cant fix this. Time to reinstall Windows 10 x64...
post #169 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

well..... had the same problems with no overclocks, but interestingly launching applications that will continuously fail with their 32bit variants seems to resolved things. I'm kinda of assuming Threadripper is 64bit so there is some serious underlying problem somewhere. Be good to hear back from Asus on this, so very strange stuff going on there.

Edit:
On the downside micro-stutter has re-appeared.

This is seriously crap, new pc, memory, cpu, windows 10 install and it's simply not stable and usable?
post #170 of 3243 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by faxfan2002 View Post

well..... had the same problems with no overclocks, but interestingly launching applications that will continuously fail with their 32bit variants seems to resolved things. I'm kinda of assuming Threadripper is 64bit so there is some serious underlying problem somewhere. Be good to hear back from Asus on this, so very strange stuff going on there.

Edit:
On the downside micro-stutter has re-appeared.

This is seriously crap, new pc, memory, cpu, windows 10 install and it's simply not stable and usable?

Can you replace your motherboard with another manufacture.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in