ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 ThreadRipper Overclocking / Support - Page 315 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 ThreadRipper Overclocking / Support

post #3141 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
it looks like AZE Alpha is ideal for overclockers... i was able to achive sub zero on my standard Watercooling loop.

Proof:

i had to put it on readit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercoolin...t_motherboard/

Last edited by MacMus; 03-20-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3142 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by MacMus View Post
I have been testing AZE since some time now. I'm very disapointed:

- There is some serious memory issues on that i can confirm that. Board does not work with 3600 speeds at all. It basically does not boot. on my STRIX X399 same 4 DIMM (32 gig only) kit work flawless on STRIX X399. This must be mobo related issues. Some people reports it does not work even on 3200.

- VRM fans bugs are all over the place. VRM fans behaves inconsequentially. They seems to be bound to CPU fan speed or something. The go low at startup on Motherboard… then during windows boot they go max speed and then quiet down once AI Suite load back on in widows. Some people reports on forums better behaviour when connecting them to extensions fan headers.
When I turned them off in BIOS (by lowering the cuve) one time the PC did shutdown after the while… I have never notice temperature on VRM going above 45 degree though.

- CPU temperature readings are complete nonsense. On my watercooling i achieved 1 degree temperature on the CPU socket. (while there was 20C in room). That does not happen on STRIX. It looks like there is some difference how temperature is being interpreted.

- W_FLOW header is completely not calibrated. I was able to get 200l/m on my INS-FM14 Coolant Flow Meter which is gives perfect readings on other mobos.

- General issues with on boards headers for fans showing strange readings. Fans behave better when connecting to extension card.

- Hard shutdown when using AI Suite to calibrate VRM/CPU/PUMP values.

- Very long posts and memory calibrations (?!?). Sometimes even 2-3 startups. First time i see that on any motherboard.

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems, although I think a few of them can be attributed to your BIOS setup. I have been running the ZEA with 3200Mghz Cl.14 RAM since I first got it and have no problems whatsoever. I even got cheeky one night and threw in the other 4 sticks of 3600Mghz non-rysen RAM together with the 3200 Mghz, all running @ 3200Mghz and got it to boot with all DIMMS filled. Now windows wasn't really stable afterwards but the ZEA did post and Windows did boot.

As far as the fan curves and such, depending on if you are using any onboard power regulation settings, you will get some pretty wild characteristics. But I did note that when you use any software that hooks the RAM in Windows, then you are asking for problems. After re-installing windows without all the AI Suite gelumpa and other RAM hooking software, I have had no problems whatsoever and have been running with Afterburner and 1x MSI RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z @ 1350 Mhz Core and 800+Mghz VRAM, (never gets hotter than 77°), for over 2 weeks now and have only had 1 System Service Exception BSOD while playing BFV which I attributed that to the BFV garbage coding. I have been running my 2970WX @ 4.2 Ghz & 3200 Mghz RAM all the time during the last 2 weeks and it never goes over the 50° to 57° under full load. Heck by switching my 970 EVO 2 TB NVME to the DIMM slot next to the RAM, i get no more then 47° on the NVME drive under full load. What more can you ask for? I myself would love to run SLI, but since the 2 Lightnings are 3-Slot cards it doesn't work so well with the new PCIE spacing caused by migrating all VRM's to the top of the board.

Did I mention that I don't use water except for a be quiet 360 compact water cooler for the CPU? well I did now...
post #3143 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

I'm able to run my 4dimm 3600 kit on 3466 but that's bad.. I tested other boards and 3600 Is easly achieved on others but not on aze. I would blame old bios..

temp readding goes crazy when idling.. they tend to start ok then at some point I get in bios 2 degree constat.. likse it would have on mobo there dome kind self calibration going on which does not work property.
I notice that when I keep it busy it does not go crazy as fast.. bu then again i don't belive that under load I got 40 ish... there must be something wrong.

I would not trust any temp readings on that board ... w flow cpu temps vrm temp are all waked..

Last edited by MacMus; 03-20-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3144 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

I hear ya dude, I just got my ZE back, but I am beat after work. I will be putting it back in Sat. and will check back in. But you are right, the BIOS development for this board leaves alot to be desired.

One other point, there was a guy on the ASUS ROG forum board trying to find out if anyone could get 3600 Mhz RAM working at all on these boards. There were only a few who claimed to be able to get it working.
post #3145 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by sKutDeath View Post
I hear ya dude, I just got my ZE back, but I am beat after work. I will be putting it back in Sat. and will check back in. But you are right, the BIOS development for this board leaves alot to be desired.
One other point, there was a guy on the ASUS ROG forum board trying to find out if anyone could get 3600 Mhz RAM working at all on these boards. There were only a few who claimed to be able to get it working.
Ram probably get fixed by BIOS, but this temps reading are worrying the most...

Edit:

Sorry my posts are referring to Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha, as you see on the video clip I have attached.

I don't have AZE.
post #3146 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Not a bug, but a feature

Interesting Stuff... Yeah Asus took a bit of time to get stuff right on the ZE so I'd expect the same for the ZEA. I still don't have the 1950X to start testing so...yeah. Anyways question for all y'all What PSU Wattage are you using to power your setup? I got a 1950x OC 3.9 1.35V and a 1080ti OC a bit with like 9 fans and 3 m.2 but my PSU is 850W? This enough? looking for a 1200W Seasonic but I've already invested in cablemods for the EVGA P2 T.T

Buildripper
(17 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.skill
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Adata SX8200 Pro
Power Supply
EVGA 1200W P2
Cooling
Enermax Liqtech 360 TR4
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Arch Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Monitor
Asus 24' TN
Keyboard
Corsair K95 Platinum Gunmetal
Mouse
Logitech G802
Other
3x Noctua NF-A12x25
Other
6x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 1450rpm
Other
Cablemod Sleeves
▲ hide details ▲
post #3147 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Enermax Platimax 1700Watt
post #3148 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by MacMus View Post
Ram probably get fixed by BIOS, but this temps reading are worrying the most...

Edit:

Sorry my posts are referring to Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha, as you see on the video clip I have attached.

I don't have AZE.

Gotcha, Have fun and see yall Sat. or Sun...
post #3149 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

My 1.45V oc 1950X to 4.2 Ghz alone takes 500W. 1080ti is stimated to take up to 350-400W.

I would not go with PSU lesser then 1000W.
post #3150 of 3255 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Have a look at that there thagabe. That should get you in the right direction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in