ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 ThreadRipper Overclocking / Support - Page 323 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 ThreadRipper Overclocking / Support

post #3221 of 3255 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixX View Post
Don't. Get G.Skill they have 128GB kits which are TR4 compatible, getting B-Die on Corsair is more of an exercise in futility and then getting aggravated by the idiots on the other end of a phone call.

https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/...-335-_-Product

I'm sure the deals are better in USD
Thats alot more than I planned for memory. I already have a set of 4x16gb corsair and was planning to just add another 4x16gb of the exact same model. I do want RGB no matter what I get though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GSJHVPB...v_ov_lig_dp_it

If you can tell me some reasons why I should get this kit over just doing what I said would be grateful. Also keep in mind I have no plan to go bleeding edge OC. I want stability more than anything but I still want to OC the 2990wx to at least 3.8ghz.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3222 of 3255 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:09 AM
The IT guy...

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by elderan View Post
Thats alot more than I planned for memory. I already have a set of 4x16gb corsair and was planning to just add another 4x16gb of the exact same model. I do want RGB no matter what I get though.

If you can tell me some reasons why I should get this kit over just doing what I said would be grateful. Also keep in mind I have no plan to go bleeding edge OC. I want stability more than anything but I still want to OC the 2990wx to at least 3.8ghz.
It is very doubtful that you will be able to run 8 sticks or RAM at more than 2666MHz or maybe if you are lucky 2933MHz, so If you already have half the ram just get the other half. No need to pay a small fortune for whole 8 sticks. Just make sure that ASUS have validated those sticks it that configuration for your board. Check QVL.

Orion-TR4
(12 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Asrock x399 Taichi
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961 Nvme SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Hard Drive
Intel 5400S SATA SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i
Cooling
Custom Loop mostly EKWB
Case
Lian-Li PC-O11 WGX ROG Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
▲ hide details ▲
post #3223 of 3255 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by elderan View Post

There's a more expensive kit from G.Skill which is RGB. You can just get the Corsair stuff. I have a set of Dominator memory on my TR4 and it's a bit meh CL16 3200MHz E-Die. Doesn't OC well and can't hold 3200MHz stable. Currently running 3000MHz and won't get any higher out of it. Only 32GB too

The GTZR version of the G.Skill is specifically for the TR4 platform though. Hence I'd look at that first. They are all B-Die too from what I saw. Not cheap though $2555 AUD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3224 of 3255 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixX View Post
There's a more expensive kit from G.Skill which is RGB. You can just get the Corsair stuff. I have a set of Dominator memory on my TR4 and it's a bit meh CL16 3200MHz E-Die. Doesn't OC well and can't hold 3200MHz stable. Currently running 3000MHz and won't get any higher out of it. Only 32GB too

The GTZR version of the G.Skill is specifically for the TR4 platform though. Hence I'd look at that first. They are all B-Die too from what I saw. Not cheap though $2555 AUD
Ya I am not going to spend $1,600+ USD on memory. I just ordered the corsair for about $340 usd and will add my existing 64gb once its all tested out.

post #3225 of 3255 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
guys, will the zenith extreme be able to rub threadripper 3k chips? i would like to get whatever the next tr 16 core chip will be, and i dont wanna spend money on a new board. yall have any ideas?
post #3226 of 3255 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Just wait, there might be a new chipset. Why not get the 3950X? Do you need the PCI lanes?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3227 of 3255 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

phazedreality81 - Wait new cpu and new motherboard, and go with something like asrock or msi, gigabyte
I have ZE - it is not worth the money
post #3228 of 3255 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

thanks for the reply guys. i currently have a zenith extreme and a 1920x. i mainly do video editing work and use NVME drives and SSDs for my workloads. i need the lanes and having quad channel memory helps a lot. if i can, i would rather not spend an extra 500 bucks or more for a mobo if i dont have to.
post #3229 of 3255 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by phazedreality81 View Post
thanks for the reply guys. i currently have a zenith extreme and a 1920x. i mainly do video editing work and use NVME drives and SSDs for my workloads. i need the lanes and having quad channel memory helps a lot. if i can, i would rather not spend an extra 500 bucks or more for a mobo if i dont have to.
In your case, you may want to consider a new motherboard if a new Threadripper generation will support PCIe 4 and NVMe drives supporting that.
That is of course if your current setup is maxing out your NVMe drive when loading large video files.

Isn't video editing (transcoding/rendering) using a lot of cores, and a CPU with lots of cores also something you might want to consider?
post #3230 of 3255 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ljugtomten View Post
In your case, you may want to consider a new motherboard if a new Threadripper generation will support PCIe 4 and NVMe drives supporting that.
That is of course if your current setup is maxing out your NVMe drive when loading large video files.

Isn't video editing (transcoding/rendering) using a lot of cores, and a CPU with lots of cores also something you might want to consider?
depends on what hes encoding most common renders with common codecs behind big name companies don't scale well - most big name encoders have better performance per core with intel because intel has a division that helps out these companies with common codecs
(most codecs typically only use 1 - 4 cores max beyond 4 cores your get demising return)

my 1950x isnt as much better then my 2500k (OC) then it should be when "encoding" video

its a different story for timeline editing

if you building a video/editing rig threadripper is fine if you want to build a rendering rig you want Intel -- over 8+ cores doesn't seem to help much with saving time (most codecs)
(next month it might be different but this has been the case for years for consumer level hardware)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in