New to Overclock.net
betam4x Level 1

Can someone help me out with something?

Set your fan profiles in BIOS to:

50C/25%
55C/50%
60C/75%
65C/100%

Then boot into Windows and run something like Prime95 small to heat up the CPU...and let me know if the fans work for you. The only thing that works for me is setting a manual speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 04:41 PM
New to Overclock.net
betam4x Level 1

The latest BIOS fixes a ton of issues, though I still suspect that some options quite simply don't work. Also, sometimes if an overclock fails with Ryzen master, you'll get a C0 or 0C error (can't remember which) until a BIOS reset. However, I am pretty impressed that they have taken the time to improve things, hopefully they continue to do so. Still probably won't buy MSI next time though. I should not have had to wait 4-5 months for a halfway proper BIOS.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 AM
New to Overclock.net
Sycholic Level 1

Yeah well its now a year later and think 6 bios updates and this motherboard is far from a 'gamer board' still... my biggest disappointment is how locked down the bios still is... if you havent bought one. honestly dont... and if you do make sure you not using gskill ram because something with JEDEC and the chip size and layout makes latency horrid on this MB. like tRFC being set to 540 compared to 413 with corsairs. Also tRC is set to 75 and even xmp profiles says put it at 48-52 (depending on the speed). I wish someone would crack the bios open and unlock the thing tbh...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:30 AM
New to Overclock.net
ansha Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Sycholic View Post
Yeah well its now a year later and think 6 bios updates and this motherboard is far from a 'gamer board' still... my biggest disappointment is how locked down the bios still is... if you havent bought one. honestly dont... and if you do make sure you not using gskill ram because something with JEDEC and the chip size and layout makes latency horrid on this MB. like tRFC being set to 540 compared to 413 with corsairs. Also tRC is set to 75 and even xmp profiles says put it at 48-52 (depending on the speed). I wish someone would crack the bios open and unlock the thing tbh...
Gskill 3200 cl14 has a high tRFC on any board when you load XMP profile, it has nothing to do with this board.
But why is it so difficult to manually change those things?

I have this board and it is really solid, the only "problem" is that you need to have a dedicated vent blowing over VRMs if you plan to overclock and do stuff like rendering when CPU is at 100% for longer periods of time..
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:57 PM
New to Overclock.net
Sycholic Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by ansha View Post
Gskill 3200 cl14 has a high tRFC on any board when you load XMP profile, it has nothing to do with this board.
But why is it so difficult to manually change those things?

I have this board and it is really solid, the only "problem" is that you need to have a dedicated vent blowing over VRMs if you plan to overclock and do stuff like rendering when CPU is at 100% for longer periods of time..
thats the problem it 'shouldnt' there is no reason for it and no XMP profile defines tRC as 48 and sets that to 75 and JEDEC is telling MSI to set tRFC to 560. and its a known bug still never addressed.

Quote from: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...-trcd-trp-tras
" Real-World Impact of Lower Level Memory Timings
Different kits have different JEDEC standards, so different subtimings get loaded. This is an issue we’ve run into before: we had two kits identical in frequency and capacity, but with different latencies; however, the 16-18-18-36 Corsair kit somehow outperformed the 14-14-14-34 G.SKILL kit in tests. After discussing this with both manufacturers, it turned out that Corsair’s sticks were dual-sided with groups of 512MBx8 ICs (memory chips), while G.SKILL’s were single-sided with groups of 1GBx8 ICs.
512MBx8 is an older style, so it actually has tighter subtimings defined by JEDEC (see “What Are Timings?”). The biggest culprit in this case was tRFC, or Refresh Cycle Time. We’ll cover the full definition of this in part 2, but for now the important thing is that the value set by JEDEC for Corsair’s type of kit was 416 and 560 for G.SKILL’s. When we adjusted the G.SKILL kit’s tRFC value down to match Corsair’s with no other adjustments, it pulled ahead in performance and remained stable."

I can set tRC to 48 and keep it on 3200 @ 14-14-14-34 but you cant touch tRFC (which i wish they explained how or what mb because honestly I want to dump this one)
mine runs like a beast... I run 4ghz 24/7 other then that I really dont OC much. I have tested these timings even on stock settings no XMP 1 or 2, no OC at all 2133 up to 2667 and they always setting latency high. now from what I can read anywhere about this this shouldnt be happening at lower/stock/non-OC speeds the latency should be backing off but it dont...

my biggest beef and this is honestly with the whole TR/Ryzen vs Intel thing... is there really memory sticks designed for only intel or amd or is this a total lie? I mean I look up benchmarks @ passmark sorted by cpu and why is it all the lowest latency chipsets are listed as intel only? (to clarify this is on AMD ryzen benchamrks so people got intel ram listed there running on ryzen)or is this false reporting I seen kingstons down around 52 for latency which is like a 50+% cut over what Im at now... I mean Im sorry but the bottom 10% in the world for ram latency is puke level sickening.

If anyone wants to suggest a good motherboard for the x399 that isnt nerfed and locked down like MSI please refer me to a board thanks. more I talk about it the more sick I get over this... Im not even bringing up how msi and their HDA drivers for this board are broken AF also... ask anyone who does dolby digital live encoding

Last edited by Sycholic; 01-24-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 AM
New to Overclock.net
ansha Level 1

thats the problem it 'shouldnt' there is no reason for it and no XMP profile defines tRC as 48 and sets that to 75 and JEDEC is telling MSI to set tRFC to 560. and its a known bug still never addressed.

Quote from: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...-trcd-trp-tras
" Real-World Impact of Lower Level Memory Timings
Different kits have different JEDEC standards, so different subtimings get loaded. This is an issue we’ve run into before: we had two kits identical in frequency and capacity, but with different latencies; however, the 16-18-18-36 Corsair kit somehow outperformed the 14-14-14-34 G.SKILL kit in tests. After discussing this with both manufacturers, it turned out that Corsair’s sticks were dual-sided with groups of 512MBx8 ICs (memory chips), while G.SKILL’s were single-sided with groups of 1GBx8 ICs.
512MBx8 is an older style, so it actually has tighter subtimings defined by JEDEC (see “What Are Timings?”). The biggest culprit in this case was tRFC, or Refresh Cycle Time. We’ll cover the full definition of this in part 2, but for now the important thing is that the value set by JEDEC for Corsair’s type of kit was 416 and 560 for G.SKILL’s. When we adjusted the G.SKILL kit’s tRFC value down to match Corsair’s with no other adjustments, it pulled ahead in performance and remained stable."

I can set tRC to 48 and keep it on 3200 @ 14-14-14-34 but you cant touch tRFC (which i wish they explained how or what mb because honestly I want to dump this one)
mine runs like a beast... I run 4ghz 24/7 other then that I really dont OC much. I have tested these timings even on stock settings no XMP 1 or 2, no OC at all 2133 up to 2667 and they always setting latency high. now from what I can read anywhere about this this shouldnt be happening at lower/stock/non-OC speeds the latency should be backing off but it dont...

my biggest beef and this is honestly with the whole TR/Ryzen vs Intel thing... is there really memory sticks designed for only intel or amd or is this a total lie? I mean I look up benchmarks @ passmark sorted by cpu and why is it all the lowest latency chipsets are listed as intel only? (to clarify this is on AMD ryzen benchamrks so people got intel ram listed there running on ryzen)or is this false reporting I seen kingstons down around 52 for latency which is like a 50+% cut over what Im at now... I mean Im sorry but the bottom 10% in the world for ram latency is puke level sickening.

If anyone wants to suggest a good motherboard for the x399 that isnt nerfed and locked down like MSI please refer me to a board thanks. more I talk about it the more sick I get over this... Im not even bringing up how msi and their HDA drivers for this board are broken AF also... ask anyone who does dolby digital live encoding
Still don't understand the point of your post, I can set trfc manually, auto is the same as on intel mobos. What is locked down on X399 Carbon?

Check out what latency I get with this motherboard, NUMA mode of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8043bbacc741bfa989f094d910375ad6.c77471d969f5196e698975acbb67c4ac.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	249196  

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
Sycholic Level 1

Still don't understand the point of your post, I can set trfc manually, auto is the same as on intel mobos. What is locked down on X399 Carbon?

Check out what latency I get with this motherboard, NUMA mode of course.

Ummm everything? there is no manual ram timing at all other then setting what XMP sets or using 'try it now' or Ryzen Master. R.M, also added ability to change a few subtimings but they dont even name them the same... tRC is in there but tRFC absolutely isnt changeable other then changing the speed of the ram.) This is the sad picture I see on my end.... and you cant turn 'auto' off on any subtimings. basically I have XMP 1 or 2, then a list of 'try it now timings' at predefined speeds and clocks there is no 'manual timing' at all on the MSI x399 or not at least on my board and Im on what I think BIOS update 5 or 6 now? Again if someone suggests something I will happily order a new mb its that or I can just throw this rig into the corner pull the 2080 out of it and build an intel rig and leave this for NDI processing/streaming and as a server host. (maybe some mining but highly unlikely)
top image is using XMP 2 profile @ 3200. the passmark benchmark on this is using XMP 1 which is 2933 currently (XMP 2 @ 3200 isnt much better either)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190107_115441[1].jpg
Views:	5
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	249318  

Name:	makesureyourstomachisemptybeforelooking.png
Views:	3
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	249322  

Last edited by Sycholic; 01-26-2019 at 01:01 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:38 AM
New to Overclock.net
ansha Level 1

Ummm everything? there is no manual ram timing at all other then setting what XMP sets or using 'try it now' or Ryzen Master. R.M, also added ability to change a few subtimings but they dont even name them the same... tRC is in there but tRFC absolutely isnt changeable other then changing the speed of the ram.) This is the sad picture I see on my end.... and you cant turn 'auto' off on any subtimings. basically I have XMP 1 or 2, then a list of 'try it now timings' at predefined speeds and clocks there is no 'manual timing' at all on the MSI x399 or not at least on my board and Im on what I think BIOS update 5 or 6 now? Again if someone suggests something I will happily order a new mb its that or I can just throw this rig into the corner pull the 2080 out of it and build an intel rig and leave this for NDI processing/streaming and as a server host. (maybe some mining but highly unlikely)
top image is using XMP 2 profile @ 3200. the passmark benchmark on this is using XMP 1 which is 2933 currently (XMP 2 @ 3200 isnt much better either)
I can change trfc and all the subtimings.
When you want to change a timing from Auto to something else, there is no drop down menu, you just enter the values via keyboard... Everything is adjustable..
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:53 AM
New to Overclock.net
Sycholic Level 1

derp...

I can change trfc and all the subtimings.
When you want to change a timing from Auto to something else, there is no drop down menu, you just enter the values via keyboard... Everything is adjustable..
Im just $%^& speechless at this point... I swear I have tried it could it be 'try it now' locks down values?
ofc just ignoring the common sense from a end user standpoint you'd think clicking on a changeable field would indicate this field can be edited visually somehow lol..

thanks for putting up with my rage (msi is just really on my S list still dealing with high definition audio issues and dolby digital live encoding)

addon: dropped tRFC down to 414 to match corsairs, score increase 9% and lowered latency 11% TY! * bows to the worthy ^_^ * its still not great but gonna run a burnin test for stability after I crash for the night then start mathin it out see how far down I can get been looking at a Ryzen Timings Calculator someone has created.

Last edited by Sycholic; 01-26-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in