Asrock x399 Taichi/Fatality overclocking and unofficial support - Page 75 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asrock x399 Taichi/Fatality overclocking and unofficial support

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #741 of 744 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:26 AM
The IT guy...
 
OrionBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 304
Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Keith Myers View Post
Depending on what else in plugged into the motherboard ports, you can drop SATA, PCIE and USB Gen speeds down when you have too many devices and too little lanes and interrupts. Also many slots and ports are shared and automatically drop speeds when another device is plugged in that uses the same resources. Look at Section 2.10 in the Manual to see the restrictions on M.2 devices. The Asrock manual does not have the handy IRQ resource share that the manual for my ASUS X99-E-10G-WS does. No question on that board which resource is shared among devices.
X399 has a lot of resources available and when something is "shared" it is actually either or... only one of the two things is working. Let's say that one of the M.2 slots is shared with two of the SATA ports, you can either use the M.2 or the two sata ports but not both at the same time.
I can confirm that with two SATA 2.5" SSDs and two nVME M.2 drives, there are no issues with speed on my system.

Orion-TR4
(12 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Asrock x399 Taichi
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961 Nvme SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Hard Drive
Intel 5400S SATA SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i
Cooling
Custom Loop mostly EKWB
Case
Lian-Li PC-O11 WGX ROG Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
▲ hide details ▲
OrionBG is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #742 of 744 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:13 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Ironsmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 809
Rep: 53 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by OrionBG View Post
It is definitely a strange issue... Mine works fine and all Sata (and one nVME) drives work more or less with their advertised speeds.
Those MX500 speeds are almost like the drive is limited to Sata 2 instead of Sata 3 speeds...
Quote: Originally Posted by Keith Myers View Post
Depending on what else in plugged into the motherboard ports, you can drop SATA, PCIE and USB Gen speeds down when you have too many devices and too little lanes and interrupts. Also many slots and ports are shared and automatically drop speeds when another device is plugged in that uses the same resources. Look at Section 2.10 in the Manual to see the restrictions on M.2 devices. The Asrock manual does not have the handy IRQ resource share that the manual for my ASUS X99-E-10G-WS does. No question on that board which resource is shared among devices.

Now that you guys mentioned it, i had a feeling me having all of my SATA ports populated might affect the speed of the M.2 slot.

I've double checked on the manual and according to this:

Quote:
2.10 M.2_SSD (NGFF) Module Installation Guide (M2_1 and
M2_2)
The M.2, also known as the Next Generation Form Factor (NGFF), is a small size and
versatile card edge connector that aims to replace mPCIe and mSATA. The Ultra M.2
Socket (M2_1 and M2_2) support SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module
up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s).
* If U.2 Connector is plugged, M2_1 will be disabled

Well, it doesn't say whether speed will be restricted on M2_1 and M2_2 if all of the SATA ports are used. Just the M2_1 will be disabled if U.2 is connected.


Quote: Originally Posted by OrionBG View Post
X399 has a lot of resources available and when something is "shared" it is actually either or... only one of the two things is working. Let's say that one of the M.2 slots is shared with two of the SATA ports, you can either use the M.2 or the two sata ports but not both at the same time.
I can confirm that with two SATA 2.5" SSDs and two nVME M.2 drives, there are no issues with speed on my system.

Ive experienced this when i was trouble shooting. I had to unplugged one of my SATA ports for M2_2 to be recognized.

Gaming Rig: (2) Swiffy MCP35x, UT60 + GTX 480 rad, (1) 360 HWL GTX, (1) 240 HWL GTS, HK IV, 2920X @ 4.2 GHz, AsRock X399 Fatality, (2) NVidia 1080 w/ HK IV blocks, Gammix S11 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, 2TB Samsung F4, (4) 3 TB & (2) 5 TB Toshiba HD, CL STH10, EVGA 1300 PSU, Win 10 Pro
HTPC Rig: 2600 @ 4.1Ghz, Asus Strix B450, D5 vario w/ EK top, 480 UT60, 240 HWL GTX, Asus 290 w/ XSPC WB 1000/1300, Crucial P1 500 GB, 12TB Ironwolf, 6TB & 8TB HGST, Enthoo Primo, EVGA G2 750, Win 10 Pro
Ironsmack is offline  
post #743 of 744 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:33 PM
The IT guy...
 
OrionBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 304
Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Just for the sake of it, remove all the sata drives and leave only the nvme (and one sata if your OS in on a sata drive) check the speed again. Do the same only with the sata ssd connected.

BTW I have just now read your signature... That is a lot of drives...

Orion-TR4
(12 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Asrock x399 Taichi
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961 Nvme SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Hard Drive
Intel 5400S SATA SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i
Cooling
Custom Loop mostly EKWB
Case
Lian-Li PC-O11 WGX ROG Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by OrionBG; 10-08-2019 at 10:36 PM.
OrionBG is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #744 of 744 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:43 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Ironsmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 809
Rep: 53 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by OrionBG View Post
Just for the sake of it, remove all the sata drives and leave only the nvme (and one sata if your OS in on a sata drive) check the speed again. Do the same only with the sata ssd connected.

BTW I have just now read your signature... That is a lot of drives...

I'll do that eventually, but im just busy with other things at the moment.

Yah i know. Im slowly getting rid of all the smaller capacity drives and consolidating it to bigger HD's.

Gaming Rig: (2) Swiffy MCP35x, UT60 + GTX 480 rad, (1) 360 HWL GTX, (1) 240 HWL GTS, HK IV, 2920X @ 4.2 GHz, AsRock X399 Fatality, (2) NVidia 1080 w/ HK IV blocks, Gammix S11 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, 2TB Samsung F4, (4) 3 TB & (2) 5 TB Toshiba HD, CL STH10, EVGA 1300 PSU, Win 10 Pro
HTPC Rig: 2600 @ 4.1Ghz, Asus Strix B450, D5 vario w/ EK top, 480 UT60, 240 HWL GTX, Asus 290 w/ XSPC WB 1000/1300, Crucial P1 500 GB, 12TB Ironwolf, 6TB & 8TB HGST, Enthoo Primo, EVGA G2 750, Win 10 Pro
Ironsmack is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off