Asrock x399 Taichi/Fatality overclocking and unofficial support - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asrock x399 Taichi/Fatality overclocking and unofficial support

post #1 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 258 (Unique: 111)
Lets start with pics of boards and the differences and observations I have made.

Fatality offers 10gb lan and sound blaster audio software and a Com port over the taichi.

Everything is else is identical save for sb heatsink and color scheme. That said choose according to the features you want/need.

The vcore vrm runs a tad warm in worst case scenario workloads.....this mean I suggest a fan blowing on vcore vrm sink for the 24/7 load mission critical end users ( boinc crunching etc etc )

The ability to overclock a cpu in this board for 24/7 use @ 3.8 and higher boils down to your ability to cool the chip.

The board is capable only if your cooling is capable.

example

performance wise the board seems to be doing quite well.

some examples.

1st place hardware record single fury x

1st place hardware record 2x fury x

Here is a "tight" template for DR running @ 3200 c14, it may be able to go tighter but this is as far as I have gotten so far with prime stability. I will be uploading a loose profile for compatibility on boot and then templates for tuning and where to start.

Disclaimer = This is tuned for ST performance and may impact MT slightly.

Medium template

Loose template and bios profile DR 4x16gb B-die ( Rename to .bin ) 1.50 bios only

PC3200DR4x16gbloose.txt 60k .txt file

Template showing where to tune performance and where to start for most performance and then fine tuning performance.

Will be busy the next few days but when free and keep in mind it requires a lot of testing I will knock out some SR dim 4x8gb profiles.

As far as cpu overclocking goes the voltage curve that appears to be a trend from using various chips is this.

3.5-3.6 1.1v
3.7-3.8 1.2v
3.9-4.0 1.3v

My personal opinion is these chips like .100 under what we ran on ryzen so instead of 1.40v max 24/7 I am running 1.30v max 24/7 and to be quite honest 1.30v is already a chore to tame heat on....1.40v is "benchable".

update

guys need to bear with me as far as single rank goes, one of my sets is really really bad for subtimings.

single rank 3200 stability example

SR Bdie 4x8 gb bios profile ( Rename to .bin ) 1.50 bios only

Sr3200c14loose.txt 60k .txt file

SR 3200 C14 medium template and stability

Attached Files
File Type: txt PC3200DR4x16gbloose.txt (60.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: txt Sr3200c14loose.txt (60.1 KB, 41 views)

The problem with the internet today is the lack of accountability.

On pc forums User A says no its safe costs users B,C an D $600 to find out he was wrong. User A gets off scot free.

On the race car forums it is no different except $ amount. User A says turn the boost up to 26lbs. User B,C and D lifted a head gasket,cracked a piston ring, melted a piston...or worse just sent a rod through block due to detonation. $3k in damages. User A gets off scot free.

Avoid the A's they will put a hole in your wallet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 11:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Surprised this thread has not gotten any more replies. I have the taichi x399 and it was great until it died 2 days ago (hoping the board is dead and not CPU). Rock solid 4.1ghz @1.381V running at 3443 CL16 Ram. I have the 3600 CL16 kit but it is not stable at that speed.
Hopefully I will not have any issues with the RMA at newegg and receive a board that lasts longer this time smile.gif

Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1 Custom Water | 1080Ti FE @ 2100/6000 Custom Water | CaseLabs STH10 | ASRock Taichi | TridentZ 32GB @ 3433Mhz | Acer x34 Ultrawide Predator G-Sync | BenQ BL3201PH 4k

Official CaseLabs Owners Club!
post #3 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 11:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrewbacon View Post

Surprised this thread has not gotten any more replies. I have the taichi x399 and it was great until it died 2 days ago (hoping the board is dead and not CPU). Rock solid 4.1ghz @1.381V running at 3443 CL16 Ram. I have the 3600 CL16 kit but it is not stable at that speed.
Hopefully I will not have any issues with the RMA at newegg and receive a board that lasts longer this time smile.gif

Dead as in no error code? did you check the psu? This is the first dead Taichi I've heard of. I'm buyng my x399 system soon and am considering this mobo as my first choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 11:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotachin View Post

Dead as in no error code? did you check the psu? This is the first dead Taichi I've heard of. I'm buyng my x399 system soon and am considering this mobo as my first choice.

Yes dead as in no error code. The Mobo LEDs would light up but would not power on. I went through all the troubleshooting steps such as testing with a known PSU, clearing CMOS, booting with 1 stick of RAM. Nothing worked. I narrowed it down to either a dead Mobo or dead CPU so I decided to RMA the board back.
I wouldn't use my experience to stay away from ASRock. It was a fantastic board until this happened and there is a small chance it might be a dead CPU.

Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1 Custom Water | 1080Ti FE @ 2100/6000 Custom Water | CaseLabs STH10 | ASRock Taichi | TridentZ 32GB @ 3433Mhz | Acer x34 Ultrawide Predator G-Sync | BenQ BL3201PH 4k

post #5 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 01:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
Similar to a least one of the newegg feedback's, dead board after 2 weeks use.

I had one arrive at the office with one standoffs rolling around the box.. (from the lower m.2 socket) seems like a common issue, @chew* had it too I believe as did some clients on the egg, it's not grave but also not good. At the very least they should notify the dealers to check for that prior to shipping to the clients.
post #6 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33tBastard View Post

Similar to a least one of the newegg feedback's, dead board after 2 weeks use.

I had one arrive at the office with one standoffs rolling around the box.. (from the lower m.2 socket) seems like a common issue, @chew* had it too I believe as did some clients on the egg, it's not grave but also not good. At the very least they should notify the dealers to check for that prior to shipping to the clients.

I informed Asrock of that problem.

On pc forums User A says no its safe costs users B,C an D $600 to find out he was wrong. User A gets off scot free.

On the race car forums it is no different except $ amount. User A says turn the boost up to 26lbs. User B,C and D lifted a head gasket,cracked a piston ring, melted a piston...or worse just sent a rod through block due to detonation. $3k in damages. User A gets off scot free.

post #7 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

As far as the dead board goes I should shed some light on it.

Keep in mind this is just my first hand experience and observation.

My taichi x370 did the same thing last week. Fans spin rgb stays off as it is set in bios that way...cpu cold as in no power.

Now i have had this same thing on c6h and k7...both of which i was able to revive.

The k7 was easiest keep mashing clr cmos/reset together.

The c6h im not sure i just kept mashing all buttons eventually posted.

The asrock i could not find the magical combo...it has no buttons...so harder.

My theory is somehow the boards are going into a deep sleep and its ryzen related...cross vendor cross platform is to coincidental.

Anyway...i shipped my dead one to Asrock. Maybe they will shed some light on that after dissecting it.

The next board that does it im whipping out the meters and iron and soldering in lines to measure all over the place.

post #8 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

I went into Microcenter today as I was really curious if my CPU was dead as well. They were willing to test it for me and they put it on an open box Asus Zenith. Thankfully, the machine booted right up into the BIOS so it looks like the board was bad. Just have to wait for the replacement from newegg now.

post #9 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew* View Post

I informed Asrock of that problem.

Do you have a direct way of contacting ASRock or did you just use the webform they give you?

post #10 of 697 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I am in direct contact with bios and marketing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in