Ryzen BIOS mods + how to update BIOS correctly - Page 112 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Ryzen BIOS mods + how to update BIOS correctly

post #1111 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi, someone knows what is this microcode update that Uefi Bios Updater is showing in this latest bios? just updated the modules and the microcode. but see no difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

So ive been testing slowly and i think my issue all along has been not setting SoC voltage myself and leaving it on auto all along. I was mistaken last post about XFR raising SoC, it was ai overclock tuner auto sets 8.0 and i mostly have been using manual which raises it without raising frequency where auto raises SoC with frequency
i only able to replicate the 3v SoC issue with adding my HTC vive wireless adapter pcie card at auto ai tuner, stock ram and stock SoC @.8v and i didnt even need to heat soak anything like i thought. I just booted into OS, opened hwinfo, opened cpu-z and ran a bench to make sure my performance didnt drop especially single core which was fine. And then i just left it on overnight day before yesterday.
yesterday when i woke up 5 hours Hwinfo reported at some point it hit the 3v same as in last picture and also took up 40ish W power SoC. possibly after the 1 hour shut screen off timer i use. I disable sleep mode altogether as normal.

So i searched through tons of old screenshots and noticed it several times from a month ago + and when i just got the HTC wireless adapter. I found even older screenshots from before i installed the bios mod so i am as confident as ever that this BIOS is not the cause. I didnt think it was the issue but its good to have evidence 😉

I dont know if this is just a software glitch or if in fact there are 3v spikes going to my SoC i didnt think it could take that without dying but i think im going to have to somehow catch it with a multimeter but predicting it and not doing it by soldering a readout wire does not sound fun. Next board i get im soldering voltage readouts but they wont take it back if they see that -_- or to see what im trying i hope i dont need an osciliscope

I will be testing more but im trying to narrow down anything i can.
post #1113 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Anyone know where the Gigabyte X470 Gaming 5 WiFi stands currently? I can barely OC my RAM on stock BIOS and I'm about ready to scrap it. I saw someone post links for the Master and Gaming 7, but that was quite a while ago and I'm not sure if I could flash those without running into an issue since I have the Gaming 5 WiFi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

@1usmus is it possible to mod the extreme tweaker tab on ASUS boards, to add performance enhancer and core performance boost(with enable, this would unlock BCLK OC on strix boards) ? I was looking at the tutorials, but as I understand, we can only modify the CBS menu?

Thanks for the answer!
post #1115 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
BCLK is unlocked at stock bios, but wrongly named "apu frequency".
post #1116 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

This is right, but because there is no "enable" option in core performance boost(only auto and disable), as soon as you change the bclk clock, it disables the xfr and pb boost function. I don't know how other vendors have this implemented.
post #1117 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

So i think i finally figured out how bclk is implimented and coincidentally figured out my problem. So ive messed with bclk on this board for a few boots and it breaks xfr and board no longer booted past 107,
next clue sometimes hwinfo says different ram frequency on boot and actually shown what 101 bclk would have been mostly 99.8 99.9. Untill i found the cause for what i thought was my ram or CPU and mobo degrading or how isaid it prior as ram error caused by vrm overheating... Long story short I thought my ram was unstable from things like aggressive mouse jitter, unexplained slow downs, not all cores jumping to 4.35 like before the fall...Ever since this fall update I knew it caused a lot of problems but I just learned that in windows defender exploit protection added something that is ALWAYS copying contents of ram to some pagefile (maybe a small alt pagefile) to cross check if memory contents match file and memory addresses have not exceded a 16kb address space because the addresses can leak tons of sensitive data (sounds cpu/memory intensive huh?) To scan all used memory....With this setting enabled I got 88ns latency in aida64 with cpuz open to watch bclk and hwinfo for everything else. After disabling I got 82.5ns. Closed hwinfo and cpu-z and then got 81.5ns latency and after killing icue I got 80.5, 81ns. I wasent able to test much but the setting is control flow guard. But i wouldnt just turn it off and forget about it. But it seems as I can watch my bclk jump from about 90.1 to iirc 110.1 usually I see 101 or just flat 100. But I believe the architecture is using that bclk range to literally downclock the whole board basically and for example 101 bclk wouldn't boot with data ports 1 and 2 . only ones that worked were 5 and 6 or with any other placement took no lie 30-40 minutes to boot. Bclk does screwwy things and I haven't had experience with that yet. Unfortunately you need a physical component a physical extra clock to change bclk without all the adverse effects. Which the strix x470-f in my case does not have. I'm still no where near done testing but I hope there's a workaround that doesn't leave me vulnerable.
post #1118 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh I just took a multimeter and measured the motherboard ground to the CPU wire and it read 3.3v and I watched the voltage drop to .07v and the fans shut off...PSU did not turn on until I unplugged it for 5 minutes. I then probed the same wire and it measured a steady 12.02ish
I think my PSU has a 12v to 3.3v short. I bought it second hand and it was quiet dirty, makes a loud click when shut off I think its been slowly killing my CPU and mobo.
I can see how this fall update/exploit defense making it lag out and not detect the extra voltage of my dying PSU . I don't think that the SoC is OK after reading 3.005V and almost 50W of power and its starting to actually seem possible the readout wasn't a fluke...aaand im off to the fluke multimeter..get it? That's what you use to test if the readings are a fluke...lol I finally get why they're called that.
post #1119 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by mahN4 View Post
This is right, but because there is no "enable" option in core performance boost(only auto and disable), as soon as you change the bclk clock, it disables the xfr and pb boost function. I don't know how other vendors have this implemented.
Xfr is active until 100.6 bclk, beyond that xfr gets disabled. That's how AMD says it has to be. However, gigabyte lets you raise it higher without xfr being disabled automatically.
post #1120 of 1619 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 4)
delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in