Asus Prime X399-A - Page 18 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus Prime X399-A

post #171 of 180 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Ok, at this point I'm wondering if my motherboard is damaged or my processor is.

No matter if its in stock or not, but at random my computer will BSOD from completely different things. even leaving it idle for a few minutes might BSOD.
Other times I can go for days with no error at all.
This happens in stock or when overclocked, with ram set to 2933 to 3200 and 3466. Memory tests shows no error and stability is fine.

Also random tabs crash in both Firefox and Chrome. But only individual tabs.
Thunderbird would crash completely and recover. No other apps crash.
Games do not crash (except Vermintide 2 but that f*** game is worse bugwise than a Bathesda game).

Hell, I even reinstalled windows because my other Windows installation ended corrupted and was unable to use Zenstates or overclock at all by software. And apps/programs started to behave weirdly (which happens when NET FRAMEWORK gets corrupted)

To resume:

Crashes and BSOD at random and with very specific programs. Sometimes not even doing anything.
Stability tests pass at 100% for hours.
Memory shows no errors.
Tried all stock (memory, Jdec standard too, cpu with no overclock with no turbo)

Errors I've managed to take screenshots:
Driver IRQL not less or equal BSOD , vsdatant.sys
INVALID Push LOCK Flags

The other BSODS I remember were related to the Nvidia's adapter.

I will be screenshooting all bsods from now on.

The only other things I can think of.. is if my NVME SSD is actually corrupting itself.. or my PSU is faulty...
But I do not see big variants in voltage..

I've also removed COMODO firewall as many people said it made weird phenomena when you used it in conjunction with ESET NOD32 and replaced it with ZONEALARM firewall.

*edit*
Another BSOD..

now SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

*edit*

I have swapped memory modules, moved my video card from Slot 3 to Slot 1 PCI-E and moved my Sound card from slot 2 (PCIE X1) to Slot 5 (PCIEX1).

Well see how it goes...

Last edited by Tamalero; 11-01-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:12 AM
OLD
System Builder

what brand of power supply do you have and what is the wattage. Also always look at the ripple and noise of a supply in the specs prior to purchase. You want a supply that has very little noise and ripple. when you dealing with semiconductor gate switching voltages at levels of 3.3 and now below, these are now one of the most important specs to look at. As for PS wattage, I hope with what I have been reading, you have a minimum of 850w for your supply and that you purchased it within the last couple of years so you are using the 8 pin and 4 pin power connectors on your motherboard. From reading your post over time, overclocking might be the goal, but a small overclock can give you good results without crashing. Once you start have BSOD and you have been running your ram hot, that's what happens when you overclock ram, you have a good chance of damage to the ram that will not show up using a memtest software tester. As long as your CPU cooling temp has not been exceeded or the max voltage to the CPU has not been exceeded then your probably ok. In the past, with AMD systems, using 16gb or more of ram has always been a struggle. Since your dealing with rows and columns with memory organization, timing and the charge /discharge rates are critical. At higher and large amounts of memory are going to require to make sure the ram has enough time to recharge before it is written too. Always been an issue with AMD. Also as you know, every time you update you BIOS, all your ram settings change. As more ram gets tested and the results are sent to ASUS, the BIOS engineers fine tune the timing and other settings. The sometimes even create custom setups for a manufactures ram that you can select. I personally have found over the years, that you can tune any type of ram to run well with any motherboard. Ya some ram chips work better, some won`t work at all, but if they are detected and do not crash constantly, you can tune them to work.
Good Luck
post #173 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by OLD View Post
what brand of power supply do you have and what is the wattage. Also always look at the ripple and noise of a supply in the specs prior to purchase. You want a supply that has very little noise and ripple. when you dealing with semiconductor gate switching voltages at levels of 3.3 and now below, these are now one of the most important specs to look at. As for PS wattage, I hope with what I have been reading, you have a minimum of 850w for your supply and that you purchased it within the last couple of years so you are using the 8 pin and 4 pin power connectors on your motherboard. From reading your post over time, overclocking might be the goal, but a small overclock can give you good results without crashing. Once you start have BSOD and you have been running your ram hot, that's what happens when you overclock ram, you have a good chance of damage to the ram that will not show up using a memtest software tester. As long as your CPU cooling temp has not been exceeded or the max voltage to the CPU has not been exceeded then your probably ok. In the past, with AMD systems, using 16gb or more of ram has always been a struggle. Since your dealing with rows and columns with memory organization, timing and the charge /discharge rates are critical. At higher and large amounts of memory are going to require to make sure the ram has enough time to recharge before it is written too. Always been an issue with AMD. Also as you know, every time you update you BIOS, all your ram settings change. As more ram gets tested and the results are sent to ASUS, the BIOS engineers fine tune the timing and other settings. The sometimes even create custom setups for a manufactures ram that you can select. I personally have found over the years, that you can tune any type of ram to run well with any motherboard. Ya some ram chips work better, some won`t work at all, but if they are detected and do not crash constantly, you can tune them to work.
Good Luck
I have a Platinum Prime 750Watts from Seasonic. Supposed to have some of the best (except power supply hold up). My UPS shows that power usage never goes above 400Watts under max stress. And yes, I'm using all the appropriate connectors as per the motherboard. SO power wise I should be fine.. what I fear is that my seasonic is defective and throwing random brownouts or voltage drops.

My ram is also not overclocked, its rated at 3600. I'm running at 3466. I even tested lower speeds than 3200.. and still crashed.

And during the BSODS I've had.. temps were nowhere near the max.. I could get a BSOD just typing this (in fact, before the switch of stuff.. I had 2 bsdos typing in this forum with chrome, 4 days ago and a few weeks before)

RAM never goes above its rated specs either, the max temp reported (stress testing for 2 hours) was 45C. (max temp of these modules is reported to be around 80C).

I'm knocking on wood because I haven't had any issue yet. Not even a browser tab crash. ( I was getting tab crash every 15 minutes or less before I did the hardware swap of positions).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 07:20 AM
OLD
System Builder

try unplugging the ups and connect using a quality surge protector. I hope your ups is a true sine unit. non-sine wave units work well for non critical devices that can live with a sine wave that is not symmetrical and pure. Computers on the other hand can be sensitive to sine waves because of the design of the computers power supplies. Some powers supplies are not bothered, but other really are. Brownout or voltage dips cause mainly reboots or shutdowns. Your on board voltage monitors will always shutdown on a voltage dip. The monitors are programed to look at the rate of the dip to determine if it is load based or just a PS voltage dip. Ripple and noise usually cause unexplained BSOD`s if the components of the pc all check out in other systems using similar components. Do you also have access to slower speed ram. Back to the point I made before with AMD systems always having issue with ram speed and any system using 16gb and larger ram amounts. My system is using 16gb and is Corsair CMK16GX4M4B3000C15 and it works just fine. I did not go with a larger amount of ram because it still looks like the same design team is still in place at AMD. After issues with this for years, I went back to building Intel based systems because they did not have the issues with large amounts of memory and speed. Back to the ups. If someone wants a ups with a system I build, I get them one and it is always a very expensive true sine wave unit with a minimum of 1800watts. I do not care about the run time on loss of incoming line, because the ups is tied to pc and will perform a controlled shutdown. As for power supply, do you have access to anther supply to test with. I have built and ran the TR4 systems using 750 watts and 16gb ram using the 1900x chip. As request came for 1920x and 1950x chips, I started to notice they were power supply sensitive and boosted the supplies up to 850 watt and larger if requested. I use ChannelWell designed units from Corsair, but there are others who use CW designed and built supplies. Lastly I use air cooling for all systems from 1900x up to 1950x. The last system I built using a 2950x used the Nochtua air cooling heatsink. Highest temps during break-in was no higher that 62 c for a 2 hour break-in. Looking forward to getting a Thermalright TR4 heatsink. They are hard to get and if you see one and have some spare change, get one. I generally do not use AIO coolers because they can leak, but they all have issues with the pumps and circulation systems and start to degrade rapidly after install.
post #175 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 03:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by OLD View Post
try unplugging the ups and connect using a quality surge protector. I hope your ups is a true sine unit. non-sine wave units work well for non critical devices that can live with a sine wave that is not symmetrical and pure. Computers on the other hand can be sensitive to sine waves because of the design of the computers power supplies. Some powers supplies are not bothered, but other really are. Brownout or voltage dips cause mainly reboots or shutdowns. Your on board voltage monitors will always shutdown on a voltage dip. The monitors are programed to look at the rate of the dip to determine if it is load based or just a PS voltage dip. Ripple and noise usually cause unexplained BSOD`s if the components of the pc all check out in other systems using similar components. Do you also have access to slower speed ram. Back to the point I made before with AMD systems always having issue with ram speed and any system using 16gb and larger ram amounts. My system is using 16gb and is Corsair CMK16GX4M4B3000C15 and it works just fine. I did not go with a larger amount of ram because it still looks like the same design team is still in place at AMD. After issues with this for years, I went back to building Intel based systems because they did not have the issues with large amounts of memory and speed. Back to the ups. If someone wants a ups with a system I build, I get them one and it is always a very expensive true sine wave unit with a minimum of 1800watts. I do not care about the run time on loss of incoming line, because the ups is tied to pc and will perform a controlled shutdown. As for power supply, do you have access to anther supply to test with. I have built and ran the TR4 systems using 750 watts and 16gb ram using the 1900x chip. As request came for 1920x and 1950x chips, I started to notice they were power supply sensitive and boosted the supplies up to 850 watt and larger if requested. I use ChannelWell designed units from Corsair, but there are others who use CW designed and built supplies. Lastly I use air cooling for all systems from 1900x up to 1950x. The last system I built using a 2950x used the Nochtua air cooling heatsink. Highest temps during break-in was no higher that 62 c for a 2 hour break-in. Looking forward to getting a Thermalright TR4 heatsink. They are hard to get and if you see one and have some spare change, get one. I generally do not use AIO coolers because they can leak, but they all have issues with the pumps and circulation systems and start to degrade rapidly after install.
Dude, no offence but your comments are kinda unreadable. try making spacing and separations.

Anyway, I did a few tests on my UPS unit. Passed well, its barely 1 year old and half.

As I said before, I had slowed down the ram speeds even up to 2933 and still crashed. The memories were not the issue.
3000CL15 are a nightmare ram to work with, they are not Bdie like my own rams. Infact I had 3000CL15 from Corsair (Hynix die ) and I had nothing but problems and tons of memory training issues.
Also unsure what you're talking about, because you need Quad channel for Threadripper. Unless you're confusing this board with a Ryzen motherboard. I'm sporting 4 x 8 for a total of 32Gb. (unless you're using 4 x 4 micron ram?)

As for cooling, I have the big Noctua (14UHS TR4) and no, no issues with temps like I said before.

As for my system.. I'm on my 4th day since the shuffle and re-connection of my memory, videocard and sound card..and haven't had a single BSOD or error.

So.. somehow my computer did not like my Videocard to be on the second PCI-E 16X slot.. or the videocard/soundcard were not seated correctly.
post #176 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Dude, no offence but your comments are kinda unreadable. try making spacing and separations.

Its your problem when you have dysleks or adhd and you get panic when you read normal text like in books..
AND CALLING SOMEBODY DUDE-IDIOT IN ENGLISH ... moderation here is weak..

post #177 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Causality1978 View Post

Its your problem when you have dysleks or adhd and you get panic when you read normal text like in books..
AND CALLING SOMEBODY DUDE-IDIOT IN ENGLISH ... moderation here is weak..
What are you talking about?
post #178 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Tamalero View Post
I have a Platinum Prime 750Watts from Seasonic. Supposed to have some of the best (except power supply hold up). My UPS shows that power usage never goes above 400Watts under max stress. And yes, I'm using all the appropriate connectors as per the motherboard. SO power wise I should be fine.. what I fear is that my seasonic is defective and throwing random brownouts or voltage drops.

My ram is also not overclocked, its rated at 3600. I'm running at 3466. I even tested lower speeds than 3200.. and still crashed.

And during the BSODS I've had.. temps were nowhere near the max.. I could get a BSOD just typing this (in fact, before the switch of stuff.. I had 2 bsdos typing in this forum with chrome, 4 days ago and a few weeks before)

RAM never goes above its rated specs either, the max temp reported (stress testing for 2 hours) was 45C. (max temp of these modules is reported to be around 80C).

I'm knocking on wood because I haven't had any issue yet. Not even a browser tab crash. ( I was getting tab crash every 15 minutes or less before I did the hardware swap of positions).
The BSOD errors you got are basically anomalies, it doesn't say much. If you keep getting them, run in Command Prompt/PowerShell:

Code:
chkdsk /r /f
And reboot your PC to let it run its scan. After it's done, search the Event Viewer under Windows > Applications for "wininit" and you should find the results. If there isn't any, run it again.
post #179 of 180 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by VDNKh View Post
The BSOD errors you got are basically anomalies, it doesn't say much. If you keep getting them, run in Command Prompt/PowerShell:

Code:
chkdsk /r /f
And reboot your PC to let it run its scan. After it's done, search the Event Viewer under Windows > Applications for "wininit" and you should find the results. If there isn't any, run it again.
hi VDNKH!

All is well now!

Been a few weeks with no BSOD or any crashes at all.

Turns out it was a false contact either in my video card or my sound card. Reseating them solved all my problems.

Thanks for the suggestion thou!
post #180 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi all

New here and recently built a new system using the Asus Prime and a 2950X. I've been experimenting with Precision Boost Overdrive and wondered if anyone has done the same and what settings they have used to extract the most out of the CPU on this board?

I'm using a Deepcool Castle 240RGB AIO and the default PBO settings keep max temps to 68c under heavy load (throttles down to around 3.7GHz, depending on ambient temps). Is it "ok" to push these CPUs beyond that temp, or should I avoid? This is my main workstation, so don't want to stress it too much, but a bit of extra horsepower when rendering 3D scenes/animations would definitely help.

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in