Asus Prime X399-A - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus Prime X399-A

post #11 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:24 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 730 (Unique: 342)
NP smile.gif .

As the AGESA string is incorrect in UEFI I wouldn't hold too much faith that the rest of FW info is correct. Probably be fixed in a later release.

From Thaiphoon Burner info:-

DRAM Manufacturer: Hynix
DRAM Components: H5AN8G8NMFR-TFC
JEDEC DIMM Label: 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2133P-UA0-10

You have Hynix MFR single rank RAM.

This post by post-flame-small.gif The Stilt post-flame-small.gif contains Hynix MFR 1DPC SR timings (which is your config), albeit 3200MHz. Knowing the experience The Stilt has, I would say then Hynix in the main can only attain what he has. So you gaining 3066MHz is not too shabby at all, you've slightly exceeded rated RAM MHz and bettered what AMD official spec is for SS SR 1DPC config.

Have a view of section RAM Info / Data Fabric (DFICLK) / Memory Stability testing in OP here. Look to see if you have access to options like ProcODT, CAD Bus, CLDO_VDDP. If you see an option for Geardown with that set as off you can use odd CL, otherwise it gets rounded to even. Also use Ryzen Timings Checker (linked in OP there) to see what BankGroupSwap and BankGroupSwapAlt is setting to on your board (post screenie).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

NP smile.gif .

As the AGESA string is incorrect in UEFI I wouldn't hold too much faith that the rest of FW info is correct. Probably be fixed in a later release.

From Thaiphoon Burner info:-

DRAM Manufacturer: Hynix
DRAM Components: H5AN8G8NMFR-TFC
JEDEC DIMM Label: 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2133P-UA0-10

You have Hynix MFR single rank RAM.

This post by post-flame-small.gif The Stilt post-flame-small.gif contains Hynix MFR 1DPC SR timings (which is your config), albeit 3200MHz. Knowing the experience The Stilt has, I would say then Hynix in the main can only attain what he has. So you gaining 3066MHz is not too shabby at all, you've slightly exceeded rated RAM MHz and bettered what AMD official spec is for SS SR 1DPC config.

Will definitively have a try again next weekend when I have time ( I will probably try the new bios again but with a few memory timings in hand just in case...
Quote:

NP smile.gif .

Have a view of section RAM Info / Data Fabric (DFICLK) / Memory Stability testing in OP here. Look to see if you have access to options like ProcODT, CAD Bus, CLDO_VDDP. If you see an option for Geardown with that set as off you can use odd CL, otherwise it gets rounded to even. Also use Ryzen Timings Checker (linked in OP there) to see what BankGroupSwap and BankGroupSwapAlt is setting to on your board (post screenie).

I do have ALL those options under memory timings in the overclocking area.
post #13 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

@gupsberg

I notice that while my system boots faster with the Stilt's safe... I have the dreaded "coldboot" bug which refuses to bot with the settings until the settings reset and are re-set again in the bios, then it works perfectly fine for a few hours until next long shutdown.

Also I have some settings in the memory timings that are not featured in the images by the stilt or the text below his settings.

These are:

• TRFC2
  • TRFC4
  • RTTNOM
  • RTTWR
  • RTTPARK
  • MemAddrCmdSetup
  • MemCsOdtSetup
  • MemCkeSetup
  • MemCadBusClkDrvStren
  • MemCadBusAddrCmdDrvStren
  • MemCadBusCSOdtDrvStren
  • MemCadBusCkeDrvStren

Apart from these random cold boots, the system is rock solid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 01:34 AM
Meddling user

• TRFC2
  • TRFC4

AFAIK is not used on this platform, this was:-

i) info post-flame-small.gif The Stilt post-flame-small.gif shared.
ii) his timings presets do not change those from [Auto] on C6H or ZE.

• RTTNOM
  • RTTWR
  • RTTPARK

These settings some have changed to resolve issues with dual rank/sided RAM configs, the preset keeps these on [Auto].

• MemAddrCmdSetup
  • MemCsOdtSetup
  • MemCkeSetup
  • MemCadBusClkDrvStren
  • MemCadBusCSOdtDrvStren
  • MemCadBusCkeDrvStren

1st 3 not ever played with, may not have info on them either, will have a search through by notes, etc. The other 4 I have needed when pushing RAM >3333MHz.

Cold boot = with power active to PSU or not?

The boards also post differently depending on:-

i) if power active to PSU prior to power on or not from shutdown.
ii) if you do a restart/reset.
iii) use Windows Fast Startup.
iv) use "Sleep/Resume".

For a while my workaround on C6H for cold boot at high RAM MHz was to use "Sleep/Resume". Later a UEFI update resolved it.

ProcODT can help with cold boot issue, more so CLDO_VDDP for me did. I had cold/warm boot issues on ZE upto ~Nov 17, so had to back down on RAM MHz/timings to not have. Now they are resolved and I'm snagging pretty good MHz/Timings with updated UEFI. Perhaps you will have to wait for updated UEFI to resolve it.
post #15 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 11:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

• TRFC2
  • TRFC4

AFAIK is not used on this platform, this was:-

i) info post-flame-small.gif The Stilt post-flame-small.gif shared.
ii) his timings presets do not change those from [Auto] on C6H or ZE.

• RTTNOM
  • RTTWR
  • RTTPARK

These settings some have changed to resolve issues with dual rank/sided RAM configs, the preset keeps these on [Auto].

• MemAddrCmdSetup
  • MemCsOdtSetup
  • MemCkeSetup
  • MemCadBusClkDrvStren
  • MemCadBusCSOdtDrvStren
  • MemCadBusCkeDrvStren

1st 3 not ever played with, may not have info on them either, will have a search through by notes, etc. The other 4 I have needed when pushing RAM >3333MHz.

Cold boot = with power active to PSU or not?

The boards also post differently depending on:-

i) if power active to PSU prior to power on or not from shutdown.
ii) if you do a restart/reset.
iii) use Windows Fast Startup.
iv) use "Sleep/Resume".

For a while my workaround on C6H for cold boot at high RAM MHz was to use "Sleep/Resume". Later a UEFI update resolved it.

ProcODT can help with cold boot issue, more so CLDO_VDDP for me did. I had cold/warm boot issues on ZE upto ~Nov 17, so had to back down on RAM MHz/timings to not have. Now they are resolved and I'm snagging pretty good MHz/Timings with updated UEFI. Perhaps you will have to wait for updated UEFI to resolve it.

Thanks for the Info again gupsterg, much appreciated for the help!

As for cold boot = PSU connected but no energy, as in full boot after a full shutdown.
Restart works fine, also I have Windows fast boot off, conflicts with software I use.
And I do not use sleep/resume at all.

The behavior feels like the chip goes into memory training mode to fill the gaps. I only had a single full "reset your memory settings" (when I posted the last message).
After that, every other cold boot has been different. It does the "turn on, show codes, shut down" for up to 3 times, then boots normally.
Well see how it goes with the new Bios update. After full flash, resetting my settings, it was again 3 memory training style quick reboots then booted normally.

I have updated the BIOS again to 407 and the prior settings work fine. I'm at 3066 with kinda loose timings.
post #16 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 03:13 AM
Meddling user

NP smile.gif .

Yes I use Windows Fast Startup off, it can cause issues with SW and meddling I do with HW smile.gif .

I believe your observations on repeat post:-

i) when motherboard post from shutdown and PSU had uninterrupted power from wall socket.
ii) when you flash UEFI and reset settings.

is training.

A restart has differing post process, so your experience/observation is differs. "Sleep/Resume" maybe a workaround. It may also just be down to how Hynix isn't the favored IC by Ryzen/Threadripper. It may possibly improve with tweaking settings and/or later UEFI, for case where you don't flash a new UEFI.

I have Samsung B die, single rank/sided, 2x 8GB. Pretty much best case situation for gaining best MHz/timings and least problematic for post/training. I experience on ZE:-

i) 2x post when flash new UEFI and when motherboard has power interrupted between shutdown and post.
ii) when motherboard post from shutdown and PSU had uninterrupted power from wall socket, it's 1x post (unless setup is wrong for RAM, etc).
post #17 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 02:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

NP smile.gif .

Yes I use Windows Fast Startup off, it can cause issues with SW and meddling I do with HW smile.gif .

i) when motherboard post from shutdown and PSU had uninterrupted power from wall socket.

is training.

A restart has differing post process, so your experience/observation is differs. "Sleep/Resume" maybe a workaround. It may also just be down to how Hynix isn't the favored IC by Ryzen/Threadripper. It may possibly improve with tweaking settings and/or later UEFI, for case where you don't flash a new UEFI.

I have Samsung B die, single rank/sided, 2x 8GB. Pretty much best case situation for gaining best MHz/timings and least problematic for post/training. I experience on ZE:-

i) 2x post when flash new UEFI and when motherboard has power interrupted between shutdown and post.
ii) when motherboard post from shutdown and PSU had uninterrupted power from wall socket, it's 1x post (unless setup is wrong for RAM, etc).

I will have to check more about settings of hynix ram.., because I had another "memory failure" reset thing..

Which is weird, as soon I reset manually the settings and save, it runs just fine.

I think something is different in my memory kits, despite being the same type, brand and version.
Because sometimes when my computer resets the memory, the modules are not always with the same settings (example, one appears 15, 15, 15, 16, the other pair as 15, 16, 16, 16 for example)
post #18 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Tamalero View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by gupsterg 

NP .

Yes I use Windows Fast Startup off, it can cause issues with SW and meddling I do with HW .

is training.

I will have to check more about settings of hynix ram.., because I had another "memory failure" reset thing..

Which is weird, as soon I reset manually the settings and save, it runs just fine.

I think something is different in my memory kits, despite being the same type, brand and version.
Because sometimes when my computer resets the memory, the modules are not always with the same settings (example, one appears 15, 15, 15, 16, the other pair as 15, 16, 16, 16 for example)
Addendum to my post.

The memory training is completely random. I have no clue what is going on.

Somedays it will boot straight with no issue, no memory training, etc..
Other days it will fail after 5 reboots and tell me to resave the configuration again...THEN it boots fine.
post #19 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 03:11 AM
Meddling user

At the moment due to forum search not working correctly I can't link a post by The Stilt. In that he highlights how memory training is complicated on ZEN. The issues could be settings, these may work for x post and not for y. On the other hand it could well be UEFI/AGESA development issue.

Loosely speaking from all I've read on AM4/STR4 and experience on C6H/ZE Samsung B die just seems like the only RAM IC that really works well with even underdeveloped UEFI in the main. Again only my opinion.

Few days ago I removed F4-3200C14D-16GTZ and installed F4-3200C14Q-32GVK. Some testing at 3333MHz Fast setup initially link. Multiple boots from shutdown, where PSU had power from wall, all good and restarts. Then I moved to stability testing, but as it was a new kit I decided to stability test at 3200MHz with same timings, which are tighter than stock. This ZIP contains ~49hrs of testing, organise files by date.

Last edited by gupsterg; 01-28-2018 at 01:30 PM.
post #20 of 180 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
At the moment due to forum search not working correctly I can't link a post by The Stilt. In that he highlights how memory training is complicated on ZEN. The issues could be settings, these may work for x post and not for y. On the other hand it could well be UEFI/AGESA development issue.

Loosely speaking from all I've read on AM4/STR4 and experience on C6H/ZE Samsung B die just seems like the only RAM IC that really works well with even underdeveloped UEFI in the main. Again only my opinion.

Few days ago I removed F4-3200C14D-16GTZ and installed F4-3200C14Q-32GVK. Some testing at 3333MHz Fast setup initially link. Multiple boots from shutdown, where PSU had power from wall, all good and restarts. Then I moved to stability testing, but as it was a new kit I decided to stability test at 3200MHz with same timings, which are tighter than stock. This ZIP contains ~49hrs of testing, organise files by date.
After a few days now. I figured out what causes the reset..
Its very weird.

If I turn on my monitors (dual 2k on my 1070gtx) before pressing power, the memory training will trigger.
If I turn the computer first THEN the monitors, there wont be memory training and the computer will boot with no issue.

At least thats what I'm seeing right now. Will have to confirm a few times.

*edit*

Tried again both methods, and yes.. if I turn on monitors = memory training is triggered.. turn PC first then monitors = no training.

This is SO weird..
Could be because I'm using the third (second 16X) slot?

Last edited by Tamalero; 01-30-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in