Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread - Page 119 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1181 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:12 AM
Meddling user
 
gupsterg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lurking over a keyboard
Posts: 7,258
Rep: 778 (Unique: 357)
@dejanh

Previously I looked at other mobo bios support pages and at that time deemed ASUS had been doing AOK. Today I checked again, Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 X399 has 5 official updates, link, Taichi has 9, link, I'm counting 10 on ZE page, link.

Based on say C6H/C7H experience I'd say we'll be ok. C7H "officially" gained AGESA 1.0.0.6 on 30/11/18, C6H 13/12/18. In fact a lot of the C6H owners that think the C7H has UEFI development advantage should look at the support pages more closely.

Spoiler!


Only the C6E seems to have lag on updates much greater.

Another little known fact is how mobo makers are locked out from tweaking firmware unlike Intel, see this post. By this I do not mean to make your compatibility issue seem smaller.

AFAIK AMD guideline is daisy chain memory topology, I would assume then the FW is tailored towards that. C6H, C6E, ZE, ZEA have T topology. From what I understand this can lengthen the tracing between IMC/DIMM, which could perhaps be unfavourable to some CPU IMC. Why I say that is I have seen some users who had the C6H, changed to another mobo (which is daisy chain) and they gained RAM MHz on same CPU/RAM. To them it seemed the C6H was "bad", to me it seemed they had an outlier CPU/setup that just favoured daisy chain. I used 2x 2700X between C6H/C7H, 2x 8GB of Samsung B die single rank/sided attained same RAM MHz. 4x 8GB was much easier to play with on C6H than C7H. Based on that experience and as TR platform is for someone needed higher "everything" vs normal consumer T topology is the right choice.

As you have dual rank RAM and due to T topology it could be worse combo than having same RAM amount but as single rank/sided dimms. For example on C6H owners that had 2x16GB fared worse than 4x8GB.

TBH 4x8GB on ZE has an advantage over same setup on C6H. TR has 2 IMC, so basically you clocking up 2 dimms per IMC, where as on AM4 it's single IMC and the 4x8GB setup each channel your daisy chaining 2 dimms.

Last edited by gupsterg; 02-13-2019 at 02:18 AM.
gupsterg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1182 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 28
Rep: 0
I wrote Asus asking when we could see a bios update. There response is below........... So helpful...


I am writing to update you about your case. Our product engineers are already working on a permanent resolution for them to be able to rectify the concern as soon as possible. We implore for your patience and assure you that we are working diligently to have your case closed.
Jerky_san is offline  
post #1183 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:17 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
dejanh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,880
Rep: 105 (Unique: 76)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerky_san View Post
I wrote Asus asking when we could see a bios update. There response is below........... So helpful...


I am writing to update you about your case. Our product engineers are already working on a permanent resolution for them to be able to rectify the concern as soon as possible. We implore for your patience and assure you that we are working diligently to have your case closed.
That's very specific. Thanks for the update! /s
dejanh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1184 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:20 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 28
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
That's very specific. Thanks for the update! /s
Oh it got a lot better LOL.. I complained about how it was a crap answer so they told me this instead

"I appreciate your patience and for giving us time to come up with a resolution for your case. After collaborating with our engineers, we are now able to provide you with a recommendation on how to address your concern.

We actually have an upgrade, there is a Zenith Extreme Alpha that has features upgrades and also BIOS is newest."
Jerky_san is offline  
post #1185 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:11 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
skingun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: England
Posts: 295
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
You've got to be ******* joking. Arse holes!
skingun is offline  
post #1186 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:50 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 28
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by skingun View Post
You've got to be ******* joking. Arse holes!

I'm up to a level 2 support engineer.. wonder what they will tell me.
Jerky_san is offline  
post #1187 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
dejanh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,880
Rep: 105 (Unique: 76)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerky_san View Post
Oh it got a lot better LOL.. I complained about how it was a crap answer so they told me this instead

"I appreciate your patience and for giving us time to come up with a resolution for your case. After collaborating with our engineers, we are now able to provide you with a recommendation on how to address your concern.

We actually have an upgrade, there is a Zenith Extreme Alpha that has features upgrades and also BIOS is newest."
Did you get this in writing? I'd love to get a copy of this response. I'm trying to push ASUS to admin that ZE is a busted product and to have them issue out ZEA replacements for users with issues. I would love to see your actual exchange with them that led to this answer. We can use this.
dejanh is offline  
post #1188 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 03:10 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 28
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
Did you get this in writing? I'd love to get a copy of this response. I'm trying to push ASUS to admin that ZE is a busted product and to have them issue out ZEA replacements for users with issues. I would love to see your actual exchange with them that led to this answer. We can use this.
I do but ironically I didn't read the bottom which has their standard BS boiler plate about not sharing the contents of an email without their "consent". It came after I put a technical support request in for them not releasing the new AGESA update and wanting to know when this would occur since their competitors all have. They replied with the first thing I posted. I then received a survey about how I felt about my support I received to which I wrote a complaint in it about how they didn't answer the question at all and I felt this isn't the support a $400+ board should be receiving. Then received that follow up email which said I could buy their new version. Which I promptly got upset with as well. Then I got an email from a lvl 2 engineer wanting to call me. So we will see how that goes but don't know why they want to call me.
Jerky_san is offline  
post #1189 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 05:27 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Brain29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 213
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerky_san View Post
I do but ironically I didn't read the bottom which has their standard BS boiler plate about not sharing the contents of an email without their "consent". It came after I put a technical support request in for them not releasing the new AGESA update and wanting to know when this would occur since their competitors all have. They replied with the first thing I posted. I then received a survey about how I felt about my support I received to which I wrote a complaint in it about how they didn't answer the question at all and I felt this isn't the support a $400+ board should be receiving. Then received that follow up email which said I could buy their new version. Which I promptly got upset with as well. Then I got an email from a lvl 2 engineer wanting to call me. So we will see how that goes but don't know why they want to call me.
I'm pretty positive that the consent part is not legally binding in any form in the states that is (other countries it is binding). I've been part of legal issues in court were the was content that someone put a privacy disclaimer at the bottom. Multiple times it was rejected and the content was allowed. - Asus however maybe would be allowed to stop responding to you -- so while you might not get sued you could get black balled from support or put in a special group -- so if you do share I would only post bits and pieces like you are
Brain29 is offline  
post #1190 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 05:35 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Ljugtomten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 81
Rep: 6 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brain29 View Post
I'm pretty positive that the consent part is not legally binding in any form in the states that is (other countries it is binding). I've been part of legal issues in court were the was content that someone put a privacy disclaimer at the bottom. Multiple times it was rejected and the content was allowed. - Asus however maybe would be allowed to stop responding to you -- so while you might not get sued you could get black balled from support or put in a special group -- so if you do share I would only post bits and pieces like you are
Not only the states, most of the European countries aswell.
I had a support ticket open with Enermax regarding their TR4 Gen2 360 cooler (early batch, serial beginning with 1809, link: https://www.sweclockers.com/forum/post/17765538)
They started to include that footer with the boiler plate that it was a priviledged conversation etc but over here you can share whatever you'd like as long as you were a part of the conversation.
If you had signed a contract that have clauses where you cannot share information, that is something else. As a customer contacting the official support you are under no obligations to not share what information you are given.

Edit: I did recieve a replacement for the cooler shown in the pictures, still unpacked as I switched to a Noctua air cooler with dual fans for my 1950X.
Ljugtomten is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off