Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread - Page 121 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread

post #1201 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 105 (Unique: 76)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerky_san View Post
I wish I could change but I can't justify the 600$ price tag.. That's insane honestly. Guess I'm going to wait and see what threadripper 3 brings and see how it goes. Wonder if the chiplet design will shake things up a lot.
Well, but the 3rd generation of chips you'd hope that both AMD and the mobo manufacturers would have worked out any serious kinks. ZE board aside, this platform is visibly immature still. I used to be a big AMD user back in the day but been on Intel since, until Threadripper now, and coming from Intel the stability is night and day (Intel is better). Once you get everything tuned in it's fine, but the platform is definitely not for the impatient types.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
lol guess all my complaints made it somewhere woohoo
post #1203 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
Well, but the 3rd generation of chips you'd hope that both AMD and the mobo manufacturers would have worked out any serious kinks. ZE board aside, this platform is visibly immature still. I used to be a big AMD user back in the day but been on Intel since, until Threadripper now, and coming from Intel the stability is night and day (Intel is better). Once you get everything tuned in it's fine, but the platform is definitely not for the impatient types.
You actually sound a lot like me.. I stuck with AMD till Bulldozer and I wasn't going to buy into that system. I went 2500k and never looked back till ryzen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hello ladies and Gents,

glad to be here and love all the useful information discussed here. I was a long time lurker but now want to give some of my observations, (and experiences with the ZE & ZEA) and some questions:

1. Has anybody tried SLI with 2 x 3-Slot cards on the ZEA?
2. Has anybody else had problems with RAM in the ZE C1 DIMM Slot, (Will not POST at all)?

I have a couple of months of frustration and lots of time spent on different forums without any good answers... I must say that the 1601 WMI BIOS helped in a lot of areas but I had to RMA the ZE board anyhow. And imagine my frustration when the ZEA PCIE slots put the 2 x 2080 Ti's so close together they actually touch.

It has been a very long few months and still not really satisfied with these new AMD Threadripper configuration nightmares. I started building AMD machines first with the AMD 3400 64bit Winchester CPU, but went to Intel after it died, but came back for the Threadripper 2970WX.

So looking forward to any help I can offer and of course help that others can offer also...

Last edited by sKutDeath; 02-26-2019 at 03:28 AM.
post #1205 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by sKutDeath View Post
Hello ladies and Gents,

glad to be here and love all the useful information discussed here. I was a long time lurker but now want to give some of my observations, (and experiences with the ZE & ZEA) and some questions:

2. Has anybody else had problems with RAM in the ZE C1 DIMM Slot, (Will not POST at all)?

I have a couple of months of frustration and lots of time spent on different forums without any good answers... I must say that the 1601 WMI BIOS helped in a lot of areas but I had to RMA the ZE board anyhow. And imagine my frustration when the ZEA PCIE slots put the 2 x 2080 Ti's so close together they actually touch.

It has been a very long few months and still not really satisfied with these new AMD Threadripper configuration nightmares. I started building AMD machines first with the AMD 3400 64bit Winchester CPU, but went to Intel after it died, but came back for the Threadripper 2970WX.

So looking forward to any help I can offer and of course help that others can offer also...
1st and 3rd slot are 16x. Are you using those and the cards are touching?
post #1206 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yes, I am.
post #1207 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Hello ladies and Gents,

1) ZE I did but had issues because sli has issues not ZE .. some rendering programs I have was able to farm all slots to gpus

2) are all the slots filled or are you just going 1 by 1 .. ?? rma that sucker
post #1208 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Yes, I am.
Wow, I am surprised that your cards are touching. I actually haven't seen the RTX 2080 Tis in person and normally only do water-cooling (custom) so it's been a long time since I interacted with air cooled parts anyway. I am so surprised that they are so fat. The spacing between the 1st and 3rd slot is not bad. Very unfortunate for sure.

This is my current setup, single 1080 Ti with the ZEA board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	175A0055_DxO_2MP.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	256086  

Last edited by dejanh; 02-26-2019 at 11:48 PM.
post #1209 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Wow, I am surprised that your cards are touching. I actually haven't seen the RTX 2080 Tis in person and normally only do water-cooling (custom) so it's been a long time since I interacted with air cooled parts anyway. I am so surprised that they are so fat. The spacing between the 1st and 3rd slot is not bad. Very unfortunate for sure.

I am really suprised that all the new ASUS boards have the same problem/challenge, besides all looking the same with the same options, they all have this new PCIE spacing due to the new VRM setup along the top of the board effectively shifting everything down and killing the one slot airgap between 2 MSI RTX 2080 Ti's Lightning Z's. Now of course a person could consider such a configuration a niche market item, but some of us do want Enthusiast Hardware and will continue to buy it. The suppliers should not offer something that is not refined and/or finished... But that is another story....

Quote: Originally Posted by Brain29 View Post
1) ZE I did but had issues because sli has issues not ZE .. some rendering programs I have was able to farm all slots to gpus

2) are all the slots filled or are you just going 1 by 1 .. ?? rma that sucker

2. I did em in every configuration possible. I could get the whole 4 stick 32Gb kit to work, but with no stickes in C1 or C2. Although if I used the slots like recommended I could get the board to post with 1 DIMM in C2, but it wasn't recognized by BIOS or Windows as being usable, meaning shown but not added to the complete capacity, (only 24 G's shown). I already RMA'd it and am hoping they either fix it or replace it because the spacing of the PCIE Slots are better for the 2 x MSI RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z's. But 1 stick in C1 and no post whatsoever, not in 1 stick config, not in 2 stick, 3 stick or 4 stick.

Heres to hoping the Quad Channel RAM problem is sorted...

Last edited by sKutDeath; 02-27-2019 at 12:33 AM.
post #1210 of 1292 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

That's a beauty!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in