Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread

post #21 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement
ENTERPRISE has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

The code base / firmwares (AGESA) for Zeppelin is pretty mature at this point, so the lack of bios based on the latest AGESA isn't a big deal anymore. For example between the AGESA 1.0.0.3 & 1.0.0.4 (ThreadripperPI) there are no changes to any of the firmwares, which control the vast majority of the hardware. Basically the only changes to the bios code would be the changes affecting the platform specific custom code from the ODM side.

It is a big deal, the fact is why can other manufacturers get out the latest code base, but Asus cannot. Regardless of how small the changes are, we should be operating on the latest AGESA. I though Asus was supposed to provide enthusiast level hardware ? If so then why are we not getting enthusiast level support and updates ? Especially after we paid enthusiast level prices !

Just no excuse in my mind.

Thanks all for sharing your perspectives thus far smile.gif

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 05:08 PM
Missing friends
Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough

Jokes, and flame wars aside,

welcome, everyone to amd, i was amazed with the support zen got, frankly amd is low priority. Esp with the new platform for intel out, that everyone flocked to. Frankly I am amazed everyone expected differently. Amd was never as bad as people made it out too be, but due to this stigma, and has less sales, with less sales, less support.

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
post #23 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 05:19 PM
New to Overclock.net
ReHWolution Level 1

If it was "stigmatically" worse than Intel, why the ZE is, in some countries, more expensive than the RVIE?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Linux Lobbyist
Aby67 Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post

It is a big deal, the fact is why can other manufacturers get out the latest code base, but Asus cannot. Regardless of how small the changes are, we should be operating on the latest AGESA. I though Asus was supposed to provide enthusiast level hardware ? If so then why are we not getting enthusiast level support and updates ? Especially after we paid enthusiast level prices !

Just no excuse in my mind.

Thanks all for sharing your perspectives thus far smile.gif
Unfortunately AMD Epyc derived CPUs are above enthusiast for what they can do....today I Would call the AM4 platform as HEDT and enthusiast, not X399 or EPYC.

You can run 6 GPUs on a single socket, or tons of storage in raid, You can daisy chain machines if there was in build dual 10 Gbit Ethernet rather than a pathetic add on card, and obliterate in performance 100 thousand dollars Nvidia DGX severs or or 60 thousand dollars VCA with just two AMD Threaripper motherboards with 8 cores non OC cpus on it if there was proper motherboard engineering and concept for EPYC/Threadripper.
You could have only remotely have dreamed of this just a few month back and forced to commit to a 8 gpu dual socket Intel server, to get less HPC out put than what You can now...and it can only get 100% faster with PCIE 4.0 at the least......calling x399 enthusiast platform is what all the press You tubers and ASUS got wrong right from day 1.
It is pretty obvious that because of this ASUS debacle, that at Nvidia they will come out with lowest possible specced Volta GPUS rather than what was supposed to be in the real roadmap, and We as usual lose in all of this both as product quality , availability and performance.

I would want to add that there is no way that even a perfect working state of the art ZENITH ROG motherboard, would be anywhere close to be sufficient in features for an AMD threadripper with 32 cores on 7 NM installed on it.

in few words ...even if ROG ZENITH WAS PERFECT AND SUPPORT PERFECT, it would still be a piece of junk motherboard
post #25 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:54 AM
Missing friends
Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough Mega Man will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReHWolution View Post

If it was "stigmatically" worse than Intel, why the ZE is, in some countries, more expensive than the RVIE?

Higher cost, does not mean higher profit.
Hypothetical example
10000 at 600, with 30% markup or 10000000 at 450 20% markup which makes more monies

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
post #26 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

welcome, everyone to amd, i was amazed with the support zen got, frankly amd is low priority. Esp with the new platform for intel out, that everyone flocked to. Frankly I am amazed everyone expected differently. Amd was never as bad as people made it out too be, but due to this stigma, and has less sales, with less sales, less support.

It is this that I find to be the case, at least with regards to the Zenith, but it seems it could be across more products after reading into it further. I cannot speak for the other products having not used them but in the Zenith's case it is appauling. I really hope that someone from Asus will pop there head in and give us some sort of update or explanation as that is the very least they could do for their consumers.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

post #27 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 03:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
The L33t Level 1

Quote:

The code base / firmwares (AGESA) for Zeppelin is pretty mature at this point, so the lack of bios based on the latest AGESA isn't a big deal anymore. For example between the AGESA 1.0.0.3 & 1.0.0.4 (ThreadripperPI) there are no changes to any of the firmwares, which control the vast majority of the hardware. Basically the only changes to the bios code would be the changes affecting the platform specific custom code from the ODM side.

The new AGESA seems to have helped a few folks see use for their full 128gb kits, before it was impossible, Only 7 of the 8 dimms. Reported on the ASRock forum and and.com board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

This has been true in most regards but Threadripper is actually outselling the intel offerings (now I9) by quite a big margin on most vendors since day one and still true after the new x299 offerings got released.

This of course is the upper echelon of the consumer cpu market and not where most sales are done but still this platform is not being ignored on a sales basis, that I do not believe.

And the trend is upwards now that you can find TR severely discounted. AMD is pushing those yields on a high note.
post #28 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33tBastard View Post

The new AGESA seems to have helped a few folks see use for their full 128gb kits, before it was impossible, Only 7 of the 8 dimms. Reported on the ASRock forum and and.com board.
This has been true in most regards but Threadripper is actually outselling the intel offerings (now I9) by quite a big margin on most vendors since day one and still true after the new x299 offerings got released.

If that the case, then the original issue was related to ASRocks own code and not to AGESA itself.
All of the firmwares found in the 1004 bioses released by ASRock are identical to the ones found in ZE 0801 bios.

AGESA can contain some minor fixes despite that, but they cannot affect any low level functionality such as memory related things.
post #29 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:49 PM
New to Overclock.net
The L33t Level 1

Quote:

If that the case, then the original issue was related to ASRocks own code and not to AGESA itself.
All of the firmwares found in the 1004 bioses released by ASRock are identical to the ones found in ZE 0801 bios.

AGESA can contain some minor fixes despite that, but they cannot affect any low level functionality such as memory related things.

I see.

On the ASUS side I've seen complaints about not getting the motherboard to boot with 128GB but OK with 64GB, with any timings at any speed, no boot.

Like: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?s=73dca59cbd47ceaa0277c92c3a198b7c&t=170450 (two users, different kits)

And also reported on ASUS ROG forum: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95601-Zenith-Extreme-1950x-and-128GB-RAM-Wont-post!

Seems to be somewhat limited to Hynix, well... probably everything not Samsung B-die I would surmise.

I also have one of such kits to test out but I am out abroad so I cannot. Mine is also 5.39 (Hynix), when I get home I will see if the latest bios released by @elmor fixed or helped this issue as that particular bios was released to address Hynix kits specifically.
post #30 of 1191 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Just to see if anyone can shed some light on the issues, I will contact @elmor and @[email protected] directly via PM to see if they have any information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in