Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread - Page 66 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread

post #651 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
I went to 1102, rig was fine other than PB/XFR not working.

Flashbacked 1003 rig stuck as described.

Flashbacked 1102 rig stuck as described.

So I will flash 9952, then 9950, then 1003, all using flashback. Did you make board post between flashbacks? cheers .

Bank holiday fun has begun early!
It's all fun and games.

Yes let the system post between each flash and if it says BIOS updating, wait a few minutes to see if it updates. I think in my case it did and it should only take a minute or so before restarting and then you can flash the previous BIOS using flashback.

What a pain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #652 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 774 (Unique: 354)
Quote: Originally Posted by NHKJL View Post
updated to this bios?why not AGESA 1.0.7.1?still display AGESA 0.0.6.0?this problem me too
AGESA string seems to rarely get updated , shame really...

Quote: Originally Posted by LtMatt View Post
It's all fun and games.

Yes let the system post between each flash and if it says BIOS updating, wait a few minutes to see if it updates. I think in my case it did and it should only take a minute or so before restarting and then you can flash the previous BIOS using flashback.

What a pain!
I tried 9952 > POST > 9950 > POST > 1003 > POST.

All I get at each post is slow post like you do when UEFI just flashed. DRAM Q-LED stays lit whilst post cycle occurring, OLED is always displaying Code: 70 Updating EC1 code, on screen I get ROG logo with text below to hit DEL/F2. Rig just sits there... ....

Trying a 2nd time... but I think my board is bricked ... this is very similar to what went on with C6H when a UEFI had EC updates enabled and boards bricked ...

Ahh well still have C7H to play with over weekend ...
post #653 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

That is concerning, I know these are test BIOS's...but surely they should not be given out if they Brick boards ?

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #654 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

AGESA string seems to rarely get updated , shame really...

I tried 9952 > POST > 9950 > POST > 1003 > POST.

All I get at each post is slow post like you do when UEFI just flashed. DRAM Q-LED stays lit whilst post cycle occurring, OLED is always displaying Code: 70 Updating EC1 code, on screen I get ROG logo with text below to hit DEL/F2. Rig just sits there... ....

Trying a 2nd time... but I think my board is bricked ... this is very similar to what went on with C6H when a UEFI had EC updates enabled and boards bricked ...

Ahh well still have C7H to play with over weekend ...
Try a clear CMOS, reflash 1102 via USB then post, let it update and restart, then do the same and back to 9952, 9950 and 1003.

I'm sure that was the exact step i followed, but perhaps i did something slightly differently. However i saw exactly the same thing as you and i recovered, so there is a way.

I was able to recover from 1003 not working and get back to 1102 and from there i managed to roll back one bios version at a time.

Hopefully Elmor comes in to help out.
post #655 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:26 AM
Meddling user

She lives ...

After having tried several times updating as stated before I had a break. When I mean break I mean broke the cycle of sitting at ROG logo and OLED stating Code 70: Updating EC1 code.

I downed 1st release UEFI from ASUS site, UEFI 0211. Used flashback like I always do. Rig posted and I had still OLED stating Code 70: Updating EC1 code. I still had DRAM Q-LED stuck (orange) as other LEDs cycled as they should several times. This time after the ROG logo I had on screen:-

BIOS is updating.
Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure.

Which had stopped happening before when trying to recover board. Also this time the RGB reset back to rainbow cycle, where as before all times it has been static red as I had it set ages ago (AURA was uninstalled straight after setting this many months ago).

The message:-

BIOS is updating.

Did not clear from screen or board reset, etc. SO I waited ~5min and forced board off by holding power button down (again had done this before). Powered off PSU, did CLRCMOS, then powered on and restarted board and this time when the message:-

BIOS is updating.

Came up board shutdown and powered up. And now I'm using TR/ZE to write this post .

Now to flash a newer UEFI! LOL EC FW has gone old, left below is today (time/date wrong), right is past screen capture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	110101000126.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	200593

Last edited by gupsterg; 05-25-2018 at 08:29 AM.
post #656 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

She lives ...

After having tried several times updating as stated before I had a break. When I mean break I mean broke the cycle of sitting at ROG logo and OLED stating Code 70: Updating EC1 code.

I downed 1st release UEFI from ASUS site, UEFI 0211. Used flashback like I always do. Rig posted and I had still OLED stating Code 70: Updating EC1 code. I still had DRAM Q-LED stuck (orange) as other LEDs cycled as they should several times. This time after the ROG logo I had on screen:-

BIOS is updating.

Which had stopped happening before when trying to recover board. Also this time the RGB reset back to rainbow cycle, where as before all times it has been static red as I had it set ages ago (AURA was uninstalled straight after setting this many months ago).

The message:-

BIOS is updating.

Did not clear from screen or board reset, etc. SO I waited ~5min and forced board off by holding power button down (again had done this before). Powered off PSU, did CLRCMOS, then powered on and restarted board and this time when the message:-

BIOS is updating.

Came up board shutdown and powered up. And now I'm using TR/ZE to write this post .

Now to flash a newer UEFI! LOL EC FW has gone old, left below is today (time/date wrong), right is past screen capture.

Attachment 200593
Glad to hear you got there in the end. It's always such a relief isn't it?
post #657 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:15 AM
Meddling user

Quote: Originally Posted by LtMatt View Post
Glad to hear you got there in the end. It's always such a relief isn't it?
LOL! yeah if I said I didn't have a few butt clenching moments I'd be lying .

I proceeded to flash each "Official" UEFI in order, as on ASUS support page. I went 0211 > 0305 > 0503 > 0701 > 0902 > 1003.

UEFI 0305 contains the EC updates for system/LED, all others flashed did no updates (except 0211 having a downgrade). Looking at past captures I'm back where I should be in this regard. I also retried OLED FW update in OS and that had not been undone from all this.

I think I'll stay on 1003, as 9950 has no functioning mobo USB headers, 9952 gives me "hit'n'miss" lack of GRUB menu, as I have W10 & Linux Mint installed. 1103 has no PB/XFR and I use CPU at stock ~90% of the time.

@Brain29

I recall some while back you having "iffy" EC versions, perhaps try a flash of 0211, then 0305 and finally a newer one. Then check if OLED FW 1.00.13 is needed or not.

Last edited by gupsterg; 05-25-2018 at 10:20 AM.
post #658 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

LOL! yeah if I said I didn't have a few butt clenching moments I'd be lying .

I proceeded to flash each "Official" UEFI in order, as on ASUS support page. I went 0211 > 0305 > 0503 > 0701 > 0902 > 1003.

UEFI 0305 contains the EC updates for system/LED, all others flashed did no updates (except 0211 having a downgrade). Looking at past captures I'm back where I should be in this regard. I also retried OLED FW update in OS and that had not been undone from all this.

I think I'll stay on 1003, as 9950 has no functioning mobo USB headers, 9952 gives me "hit'n'miss" lack of GRUB menu, as I have W10 & Linux Mint installed. 1103 has no PB/XFR and I use CPU at stock ~90% of the time.

@Brain29

I recall some while back you having "iffy" EC versions, perhaps try a flash of 0211, then 0305 and finally a newer one. Then check if OLED FW 1.00.13 is needed or not.
1003 has been the best for me so far, bar the C States bug. I'm on 1102 now on both systems and will use this for now, but if i get issues i will dial back to 1003, via 9952 and then 9950.
post #659 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Meddling user

I think the CLRCMS gets rid of the stuck EC update after downgrade from 1102. As only 0211 and 0305 has an EC/LED FW update, upto UEFI 1003. Looking at a screenie of 9950 mobo page it matches what I would have from UEFI 0305 except one thing. UEFI 9950 has LED EC2 knocked out for some reason in version table. Don't have screenies for 9952 or 1102 in my records. I may take the adventure once more on 1102 .
post #660 of 1291 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thumbs down Frustrated

Really regret buying into Threadripper / ASUS at this point. Never had problems with ASUS boards before, this has been a nightmare. (Never expected these kind of problems with their flagship board of all things) I think I'm done with this mess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in